Why become a member? ×

rickenbacker - cheaper line

marcus bell

Have been listening to quite a bit of beatles at the moment, and was checking out the hofner violin basses, and think its great the way they make the more affordable ignition and contemporary series for people who don't want to spend thousands on their instruments :) I personally think rick should do a similar thing, i.e a copy of their Rickenbacker 4001/4003 bass but built in say Indonesia? surely they would sell quite well?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1384886491' post='2281918']
They would sell very well indeed, and if they used some of the better Korean factories they could be excellent instruments. It's not going to happen under the current ownership and management of the company, however. That's just not their business model.
[/quote]

They would sell very well indeed, and if they used some of the better Korean factories they could be excellent instruments. It's not going to happen under the current ownership and management of the company, however. That's just not their business model.
[/quote]
would be pretty awesome! would probably get one myself at somepoint, as I love some of the tones that people like McCartney, squire, etc got from the ricks

[/quote]

+1

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1384893496' post='2282060']
Why not email Mr John Hall at Rickenbacker? I'm sure he'd welcome any suggestions, him being such a good listener.

[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can only say the quality of my Korean Rockbass Corvette is as good as any USA bass I own (and have owned). It is better than one particular USA bass (through neck, dual truss rods, diamond inlays on fretboard, bound 'art deco' body shape) that I owned circa 1980.

If Ric made a budget range, it would probably start at £1200, to cover their losses of orders on the normal range!!
While people out there are still GASsing for Rics, that is exactly what they will sell.
The chances of us ever seeing a RickenSquier are just below zero percent.

Please let us know what wit and wisdom the charming Mr Hall comes back to you with.

;)

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1384914201' post='2282342']

You got a death wish?

" Dear Mister Hall,

Can you please make a budget Korean copy of your famous bass so I can sell it within 2 days."

Thanks

Marcus.

:D[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

Haha love that ^^

I just think that squiers and stuff are great if you like the sound and appearance of the big American brand but can't afford the real thing

Isn't there someone on here who has an arrangement to source those?

Just get a copy, easy to find, you may find it better than the original.

And have the satisfaction of flying in the face of the world domination desires of a certain 'CEO'.

Let us know how it goes when you contact him, won't you.

John Hall has made his viws on a budget line pretty clear. For example here (the fourth post on this page): [url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12425&start=30"]http://www.rickenbac...=12425&start=30[/url]

Whether he's right or wrong, it clearly isn't going to happen

Edited by simon1964

Ok I am preparing to be shot down in flames here but cheaper range basses have always tended to disappoint me with the possible exception of the Japanese Fenders, The Rockbass range is a very pale imitation of the real thing, the Rockbass $$ I owned briefly was probably the worst bass I ever owned, the Warwick $$ I currently own is probably the best bass I have owned.

Mexican Fenders just lack something the real deal has, I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, maybe it's just a bit better all round.

The lower end Musicman stuff again lacks something the proper ones have.

Don't get me started on what Overwater have done going into partnership with Tanglewood, I have played a few of them and quite frankly couldn't wait to put them back down.

I have really changed my opinion on Rickenbacker basses since I picked up a copy and played it alongside the real deal, I couldn't believe just how much better the real thing was and I guess that is what Rickenbacker are trying to protect, whether Mr Hall goes about it in the best way, I can't comment, but I probably wouldn't sanction building a pale imitation just to make a few more bucks

Ok backs away....dons protective gear and waits to be shot down in flames....and now my smiley faces are broken :-(