Why become a member? ×

rickenbacker - cheaper line

marcus bell

Authorised Ric copies seem a great business plan. Once you bought one you would receive a cease and desist / take down from the ceo if you try and sell it later on. They would be the ultimate one time user bass. I might be slightly cynical with this business model, then again..........

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1384983555' post='2283228']
Ok I am preparing to be shot down in flames here but cheaper range basses have always tended to disappoint me with the possible exception of the Japanese Fenders, The Rockbass range is a very pale imitation of the real thing, the Rockbass $$ I owned briefly was probably the worst bass I ever owned, the Warwick $$ I currently own is probably the best bass I have owned.

Mexican Fenders just lack something the real deal has, I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, maybe it's just a bit better all round.

The lower end Musicman stuff again lacks something the proper ones have.

Don't get me started on what Overwater have done going into partnership with Tanglewood, I have played a few of them and quite frankly couldn't wait to put them back down.

I have really changed my opinion on Rickenbacker basses since I picked up a copy and played it alongside the real deal, I couldn't believe just how much better the real thing was and I guess that is what Rickenbacker are trying to protect, whether Mr Hall goes about it in the best way, I can't comment, but I probably wouldn't sanction building a pale imitation just to make a few more bucks

Ok backs away....dons protective gear and waits to be shot down in flames....and now my smiley faces are broken :-(
[/quote]

+1 on all of the above!

I agree with JH about not producing a budget line. A Ric is a Ric - if you want a cheaper one, find a used one. There's been a good few on Ebay this year going between £8-900, which compared to a new one, is effectively, a budget one! :D

Ok I am preparing to be shot down in flames here but cheaper range basses have always tended to disappoint me with the possible exception of the Japanese Fenders, The Rockbass range is a very pale imitation of the real thing, the Rockbass $$ I owned briefly was probably the worst bass I ever owned, the Warwick $$ I currently own is probably the best bass I have owned.

Mexican Fenders just lack something the real deal has, I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, maybe it's just a bit better all round.

The lower end Musicman stuff again lacks something the proper ones have.

Don't get me started on what Overwater have done going into partnership with Tanglewood, I have played a few of them and quite frankly couldn't wait to put them back down.

I have really changed my opinion on Rickenbacker basses since I picked up a copy and played it alongside the real deal, I couldn't believe just how much better the real thing was and I guess that is what Rickenbacker are trying to protect, whether Mr Hall goes about it in the best way, I can't comment, but I probably wouldn't sanction building a pale imitation just to make a few more bucks

Ok backs away....dons protective gear and waits to be shot down in flames....and now my smiley faces are broken :-(
[/quote]

A valid point, but that's why they cost less......A copy is a copy.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1385056567' post='2283982']
I agree with JH about not producing a budget line. A Ric is a Ric
[/quote]

I think a major reason RIC wont produce a budget bass is that they don't have much they differentiate it on from the current, full price range. The last real Rick 4003 I played, in Barnets' Soundgarden earlier this year, looked cheap and had a neck that felt almost unplayable. I don't think it was the proportions of the neck and unfamiliarity that made it uncomfortable either, since I alternate between a Stingray with its widish neck and a medium scale Eko with a very narrow neck, I just think the Rick was badly made. This repeated my previous experiences with new Ricks, and I plumped for a copy instead since I still love the look but can't justify more than a couple of hundred quid on a bass bought for aesthetic reasons alone.

[/quote]

I formed completely the opposite impression of them when I played a few that Chris May took to Moffat a couple of years ago. I was very impressed by what you got for the price.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1385063113' post='2284097']

I think a major reason RIC wont produce a budget bass is that they don't have much they differentiate it on from the current, full price range. The last real Rick 4003 I played, in Barnets' Soundgarden earlier this year, looked cheap and had a neck that felt almost unplayable. I don't think it was the proportions of the neck and unfamiliarity that made it uncomfortable either, since I alternate between a Stingray with its widish neck and a medium scale Eko with a very narrow neck, I just think the Rick was badly made. This repeated my previous experiences with new Ricks, and I plumped for a copy instead since I still love the look but can't justify more than a couple of hundred quid on a bass bought for aesthetic reasons alone.
[/quote]

I guess like Fender there are good ones and bad ones, the bass I brought from you is a cracking bass and everything I expected it to be but, I have played and still own a good few copies and I really didn't expect the genuine Ric to be so much better than the copy, especially as the copy is so good, PMT have sold the one I played but now have a Black one, I played it earlier this week and it was just as good as the last one they had....given Mr Hall's attitude I really didn't / don't want to like the damn things but when you just don't want to put the bass down it must be a good one

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1385151006' post='2285154']
..given Mr Hall's attitude I really didn't / don't want to like the damn things but when you just don't want to put the bass down it must be a good one
[/quote]

+1. It's a shame that John Hall's attitude clouds people's perception of Rickenbacker's products. I currently own two Stingrays, a 74 and 64 Precision, and a Shuker. They're all great basses, but it's my Ric 4003 which I pick up first and which puts the biggest smile on my face. Love them, or hate them, at least they're different :)

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1385152743' post='2285186']
+1. It's a shame that John Hall's attitude clouds people's perception of Rickenbacker's products. I currently own two Stingrays, a 74 and 64 Precision, and a Shuker. They're all great basses, but it's my Ric 4003 which I pick up first and which puts the biggest smile on my face. Love them, or hate them, at least they're different :)
[/quote]

I've had a few pints and even done a pub quiz with John Shuker.

Take note, Mr Hall :lol:

Budget or 'diffusion' lines can often really hurt values of the original brand.

In general Fender seem to have escape the worst of this but Warwick and Musicman used values have plummeted in recent years.

Of course, for new buyers this is a good thing. You can pick up a decent far eastern version at a 'budget' price or an original German / US made used one for a lot less than they once were.

However, for owners of those original basses it's not such a good thing. Maybe more importantly for the brand itself a poorly received offshore product can have long term brand perception issues and could even, theoretically kill the parent company completely.

Imagine what would happen to US Ric sales if you could buy a great official version made in the Far East for £800.

New sales could be badly hurt, used values of US models would drop, perceived value of new ones would be lower because they depreciate by so much, couple of years down the line and the company could fall over completely.

Love 'em or loathe 'em the world would be a sadder place without the iconic Ric brand :(

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1385166840' post='2285348']
Sadder, but less threatening and litigious :)
[/quote]

Possibly. Although it still seems bizarre that I can apparently post a link to a fake rickenbacker in the eBay thread, but can't sell my genuine ric on here. But I've learnt to live with it!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1385167451' post='2285352']
Possibly. Although it still seems odd that I can apparently post a link to a fake rickenbacker in the eBay thread, but can't sell my genuine ric on here. But I've learnt to live with it!
[/quote]
Do you want to sell your Rick? :huh:

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1385167451' post='2285352']
Possibly. Although it still seems bizarre that I can apparently post a link to a fake rickenbacker in the eBay thread, but can't sell my genuine ric on here. But I've learnt to live with it!
[/quote]

Obviously you haven't :D

Can you not post a link to a real rickenbacker on eBay?

There's still no embargo on their discussion as far as I know. I'm sure it is still fine to post pics of real rics and possibly even fakes (well maybe not) [i]as long as they are not related to a sale[/i]. It would be silly to just try to rewrite history and pretend that they have never been copied, there was one on TOTP from '78 on the box just the other night (Hot Chocolate). As others have said, whether you like them or not they still have a certain [i]presence. [/i]I haven't used mine in the last 3 or 4 bands I've been in as the material didn't really suit the ric sound enough to take it along. However I took it to yesterday's jam session and everyone noticed it, even non musicians. I even let a young lad use it with his band's set as he'd been admiring it since they walked in and couldn't quite believe it when I told him to leave his bass in the bag and use mine, think it made his day. Spread a little happiness and all that...