Why become a member? ×

'warming up' a SS amp

Wondering if there's a particularly nice preamp-type pedal that can add some colour/grit to a solid state amp, maybe something that can replicate nice subtle tube grit when playing chords. Don't need anything high-gain at all, just some nice colour.

I've used a Sansamp for years to do this. I don't really use distortion, just adds low end and "warmth". I hate using words to describe sounds, but that will do.

The old Bass Driver does it fine, the newer VT does it with more variety. Trick is to use the knobs carefully - if you are cranking it the sounds will not be very useful..the blend is the key.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1384690318' post='2279432']
Behringer BDI-21! Less than a quarter of the cost of a SansAmp and does the same thing. At least this way you can see if you like extra grit for not much money rather than take the hit on a more expensive pedal.
[/quote]

Yes. I totally agree, and have previously agreed about a thousand times on here, but well worth agreeing again!
And that's about as agreeable as it gets. ;)

Especially as DV247 are doing it for £27.
[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/behringer-bdi21-v-tone-bass--26905"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/behringer-bdi21-v-tone-bass--26905[/url]

Edited by discreet

well I may be getting ahead of myself but I have a SS beast arriving imminently and it's replacing a tube amp. Will give it a thorough run over the next few weeks and see if I want to add a pre to colour it nicely.

Big thanks for all the suggestions. DHA is my front runner at the moment.

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1385541770' post='2289377']
Yep, another vote here.
[/quote]

One more vote for the BDI-21, if on a budget. Although i have one these days I use a BDDI, as to my ears its a bit warmer sounding.

Also another vote for the Zoom B3, although if only looking for warmth it might be a bit overkill (although cheaper than the BDDI it can emulate)

Edited by dave_bass5

I've tried a variety of the preamps out there and here are the edited highlights of my search:

found the behringer sounded just a bit sh*t really (to me anyway) probably just didn't like my amp/cab combination or something, I also didn't like the 'wobbly plastic feel of it';
xotic bb was v nice but a bit too 'clean' in it's grindyness for me;
catalinbread sft is a pretty good approximation of the valvey break up that my DHA vt-1 does;

My conclusion...transistors can only go so far when emulating the sound of a valve and if you want a valve sound then a valve is what you need, when I tried a vt-1 bass drive it was all of the pedals I'd tried but with the actual sound I wanted, straight away, no faffing about to try and find the sound, it was just there...

I picked one up very reasonably s/h too :)

Edited by andydye