Why become a member? ×

American or Mexican made new model Fender Jazz?

Mr Fretbuzz

I think they are all a bit of a lottery at the moment, like you say.

Personally I would find the best stocked store near me and pick the one I liked the most. Although last time I did that I ended up with an Indonesian made Squier...

I will say that American made ones seem to get better secondhand value.

I haven't played many US jazzes, but my MIM standard J is lovely! Plays beautifully and sounds like a J should (IMO).

Have a look on here first though, as there are a number of Fender Js for sale at the moment and you could get one for half the price of a new one!

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1383833862' post='2269749']
I'm wondering if quality is a bit of a lottery with the cheaper basses...eg you might get a good Mexican or a poor American ?
[/quote]

Yes, it can be a lottery with some of the cheaper basses..... but not IMO with the G&L JB2 Tributes.

These have the same pick ups and electronics as their USA cousins and considering the price difference between the USA and Tributes, the quality difference is minimal. Well worth checking out. They also beat [u]any [/u]Mexican Fender jazz, hands down...IMHO of course. ;)

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/JB-2/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/JB-2/index.asp[/url]

I recently played a Mexican Jazz, and it was brilliant!
Having previously played a MIM Jazz and a couple of P's
I didn't think much of them...

....but the one I played last week was amazing
.... and it was bought by a drummer lol

Anyhow, my Indonesian Squire P, with J neck & 2 pickups is pretty darn good too...

Try them before you buy them, I'd say
Mind you, that drummer pal bought his J online....

The MIM Classic range basses from Fender are very good - or at least, all of the ones I`ve had/played were, and also are noticeably better quality than regular MIMs - not that I`m dissing those, far from it, I like MIMs too, I just think the Classics are better.

The Mex Classic 60's Jazz Bass is basically a Roadworn without the nitro and the dents (although you can now get a nitro version too, without the relic treatment). I bought a neck from a Classic 60's and it was excellent. I also have a set of the standard vintage pickups from a Roadworn Jazz, which the classic 60's is also fitted with and they're excellent too.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1383842359' post='2269893']
The Mex Classic 60's Jazz Bass is basically a Roadworn without the nitro and the dents (although you can now get a nitro version too, without the relic treatment). I bought a neck from a Classic 60's and it was excellent. I also have a set of the standard vintage pickups from a Roadworn Jazz, which the classic 60's is also fitted with and they're excellent too.
[/quote]

SOLD :-) Ordered one but ordered the Vintage covers and thumb rest too....... cheap 60s vintage bass :-) £1100 less than the American 63 Vintage but perhaps will look and sound similar....

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1383933617' post='2271062']
SOLD :-) Ordered one but ordered the Vintage covers and thumb rest too....... cheap 60s vintage bass :-) £1100 less than the American 63 Vintage but perhaps will look and sound similar....
[/quote]

If you like jazzes, I don't think you can go wrong with it. It's a good un.

Better to get a top of the range Mex bass (which the classic 60's is) than a bottom of the range USA. The Geddy Lee basses and Marcus Millers are now made in Mexico. Up until recently they were made in Japan. And the quality hasn't suffered.

Edited by gjones

Not the models that you're looking at, but I tried 4 fretless Fender Jazz basses.
The MiM was poor in both build & sound. The Squire was far better & just needed a decent set of flatwounds to blow the Mex away.
Both MiA basses were verrry nice though.
I think with Fender, you have to try the one you're buying to make sure it's not a crapper.

I suspect (ie can't prove!) that the mex jazz would be in better shape than a Squier after a couple of years gigging, and the US better still. I have all three but the Mex Jazz gets the most work at the moment. My Squier precision comes to every gig as a standby, but has yet to be used in anger.

Depends whether you'd like it to be "The One" or if it's part of ongoing GAS...

If it's hopefully going to be "The One" then you need to get out there and try as many as you can irrespective of the country of maunfacture or even the name on the headstock. Then buy the one you like the best that is within your price bracket.

However if it's simply GAS buy a MIA. It'll command a higher price when you move it on.

In the end I bought 2 Mex Basses in the last few days.... a Cabronita P off Flex and the Classic 60s Jazz from Thomann. Got to admit that the set up on both Mex was really good especially the intonation. Each note on both hit the middle green on my tuner. Just raised the E and G on the Jazz and ready to go :) I had all sorts of set up issues with my AM P <_< Starting a nice Fender collection now if you can see them in the curtains B) Good thing too is that the wife hasn't noticed the new Cabronita as its virtually the same colour so she thinks I've just bought the Jazz :D Got a F Bridge cover, pick-up cover and thumb rest so its into the shop tomorrow to fit :P

The really funny thing with both Mex is that there is hardly any winds on the posts....just 1 1/2 loose turns on all posts on both basses. Some guy is cutting them short and selling the ends to the scrap man to buy more Tacos in the market :rolleyes:[attachment=148503:DSCN2757.JPG][attachment=148504:DSCN2754.JPG]

Congrats on getting both basses
And you say the Mrs hasn't even noticed?
Wow! - how do you sneak TWO basses in, and then convince her they've always been there? - neat

I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of Fenders, and I've played a couple of awful Mex Basses,
but that one I tried....... well I'm tempted!
EDIT: That white one with rosewood fretboard DOES look classy

Ditch those curtains tho mate ;)

Edited by Marc S