Why become a member? ×

The value of buying an instrument from a shop

ubassman

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1382627958' post='2254656']
... A shop that takes good care of its stock will make sure the guitars are well set-up before people are allowed near them ...
[/quote]
Guitars/basses in shops are never set up the way I would want them. Always got the wrong strings for start. I'd have zero expectation of finding an instrument set up for me.

Reminds me of a sign i saw in the local wood merchants I used to visit which went something like this.

"We prepare the ground, plant the seed, water it, feed it, nurture it and tend it for year after year. When the time is right we cut it down and then in to carefully pre-planned sizes. We transport it to the sawmill where we store it till fully dried then we cut it in to accurate lengths and widths. We then chamfer it, plane it, and sometimes even polish it. We then load it and dispense it to the docks where it is loaded on to a container ship that sends it overseas where it is unloaded on to the dockside. We then transport it to our stockists who store it in dry conditions until you need to use it........................................................... AND YOU WANT A FU**ING DISCOUNT !!!!!!!

In some ways, music shops are lucky because musical instruments are one thing that people are genuinely prepared to pay a bit more for in return for trying them out first.

Where lots of bricks and mortar music shops have fallen down is in failing to realise that if they don't actually make an effort to offer that extra value - looking after their stock, good customer service, etc, then they just aren't offering enough incentive to spend more with them. No one owes them a living and just being local isn't enough anymore.

I'd much rather buy in a shop than online, but if the guitars in the shops are dirty, have manky crap strings on, are so badly setup as to be unplayable, have the accessories "missing" and the staff are utterly useless then I'll take my chances online and save myself some money thanks.

I mostly buy basses second hand and the internet has pretty much wiped out second hand sales in shops. Chances are if you see an instrument S/H in a shop now it is overpriced by default so they can't win with it, hence virtually everything I see locally in shops is new and it would have to be something very novel or difficult to get hold of S/H that piqued my interest for me to buy new.

There is little point worrying about 'saving' the stores. No one owes anyone a living in this world, especially in our current climate. If someone decides music retail is a career for them, then good luck!

Stores like BD will continue, as they have good websites, lots of updates, and do both online/in store.

It is the way of the world I am afraid. It will continue down this path, and the stores will have to have an excellent online presence.

I also think customers have stronger 'rights' with regards to returns often leads to people just using online stores. Why? Because if you find fault/don't like it, you have a legal right to have a refund.

If you buy in store, it is less clear, and you have had chance to inspect it.

The first Precision I bought was from Ken Stevens in Cambridge, 1998. Saw it in the window, tried it, fell in love with it, still own it.

One I bought from an online store based in the USA. Hated it immediately upon opening the box,within a year sold it to another BassChatter (who is chuffed to bits with it.) I delivered it to him.

Bought a Dingwall, new, sight unseen from Bass Direct. Excellent service from Mark. Beautiful instrument, found that after all the expense, I preferred a Precision. Sold it earlier this year to another BassChatter, delivered it and again, he's very happy with it.

The other basses I have owned have all come from BassChatters, either collected or personally delivered and without exception, I've made a good choice.

I much prefer to make my purchases from here at BassChat, every one of my transactions has been trouble free and, I've met some very decent people.
However, I really enjoy visiting music shops, if I find what I'm looking for and funds allow I'd buy.
Guess you can't beat a hands on approach.

It is unfortunate what the webernet has done to the 'local' music shop. I pretty much supported my local store until about 2 years back. The web had really taken it's toll, the 2 shop units had been merged into one and even worse, the bass dept had been absorbed into 'guitars'. The business model seems to have evolved into 'the shop price' and the 'ebay' price. Stock is now very limited and what stock there is can be very 'store worn'.

I could live with a shop verses web differential of maybe 5-10% (depending on the value) but on the higher end stuff this can be more like 20-30%. At this point I'll always be prepared to take the risk of having to send back an online purchase. Generally speaking, the only time I think 'shop' now is if I was looking at repair work. Sign of the times guess....

Of my current basses, Status and Rick obtained from good old BC'ers, MM Ray from EBay (but only because I didn't get a hit for my want ad on BC) and the Squier online from GAK or Dolphin or similar (they all merge into one to me). Amazingly the Squier which had travelled in a 'fairly' skinny box was perfectly set up and didn't have a mark on it.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1382630403' post='2254713']
when I want to check out rare & exotic (or just plain old expensive) basses I don't go to a shop ... I go to Basschat.
[/quote]

Ooohh.... so basschat is responsible for the death of the music retail shop? :o

I wondered why I was feeling guilty today...

Edited by Conan

I mentioned this point recently so apologies for the repeat but in the world of double basses most of the serious stockists will allow you to take a bass "on approval" .

The idea is really simple - you put the value on your credit card as a holding deposit and borrow it for sometimes several weeks on trial. If you dont like it you bring back the bass no questions and no embarrassment. Usually the shop will let you take another one away till you find "the one".

I have found that once I have narrowed a bass down in the shop and I take it home and start playing , well it feels like its mine and usually when the DB shop ring up to see how I am getting on the simple answer is to keep the money. Because no two DBs are alike I would never buy one off the internet but I guess the BG market is a bit more predicable?

I've bought basses from Nevada Music, GAK and Guitar Guitar. I've never bought one online, yet.

Without doubt my best experience came from Guitar Guitar, they were the only stockists of the Rickenbacker in the colour I had HUGE GAS for, Walnutburst, and when I rang to check availability in Epsom, my nearest one, they told me that at that specific store they didn't have any in stock, however Glasgow had 5 so they would arrange one to come down by courier this was all over the phone and I paid a 10% fully refundable and changeable deposit. The guy I spoke to on the phone was the same one who gave me the bass to try and then set it up for me to my liking too. It was brilliant customer service!

Without doubt the shop I HATE going in to is Nevada Music. When I was looking for Ricks to try out they had some so after work one day I popped in and went to try one, a nice sound mapleglo. However the bass was out of tune and awfully set up! It sounded great but they did put me through a CTM 100 Ashdown?! I told them it wasn't set up right and that I should try it through my specific amp to which I was told the set up is "Great, you just won't get a bass setup better locally and our amps are only for show at the moment" I then said thanks, I'll have a think and come back if I want it, the sales guy tried to get me to buy it there and then even so far as ringing it up on the till system?! But I went back in there 3 days ago and picked up a P bass and the strings were so detuned they were just about staying on the bass! I'd personally avoid Nevada like the plague nowadays! It's gone massively down hill, no customer service, untrained and clueless staff who shout their mouths off about people not knowing music and instruments! Plus their stock is crap, never have any decent basses besides the usual Ps and Jazzes and the occasional Stingray or Rick!

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1382635776' post='2254839']
A few years back - I wanted a Aerodyne Jazz. Shop A - 12 miles away, I went in, tried a few alternatives but having already decided on the Aerodyne - placed an order for one. All the details - in the order book, waited a fortnight - nothing. 'Phoned up - ah, er, um, we can't actually place your order until we get enough to meet the minimum order quantity from Fender UK. "Why didn't you tell me 2 weeks ago?" Huge amounts of bullshit, we will order it in the next day or 2.
2 weeks later I phoned again, ah, er, um, who did you speak to before? I can't see it in the order book!! I'll have to find out what's going on & get back to you. No return call. Next weekend I went into the shop, put up with the monkeys for 1/2 an hour then demanded they find me some one who knew what they were talking about. The manager appeared, stroppy k_nt, said it couldn't have been ordered because he couldn't find find any record of me paying a deposit! I very nearly exploded :angry: no-one had mentioned anything about a deposit, I'd been fcuked about for nearly 6 weeks. I let them know in no uncertain terms - they had just lost a very good customer!

Shop B, 30 miles away - had a Aerodyne at a good price on their website, I 'phoned them up, asked all the right questions & arranged to go the next day to try it. When I walked in to the bass department & saw it on a stand I couldn't believe it, the price ticket was about £200 more than online price & it was covered in fingermarks, snot & smeg as well by the look of it. When I asked about the price, the story was the shop prices were marked up for 'credit card buyers' but they could knock some off for cash, no mention of the advertised online price & they had no idea how I was going to pay!. In reply to the state of it, the guy said I'll get a cloth & give it a rub :o I said if you had done that before I came (as arranged yesterday) it might have been OK - but they didn't! I asked to try it through a amp & was directed towards a '£35' practise amp - I said no - a real amp, which they couldn't do because the 'bass guy' wasn't there!
I almost threw the bass back at them & walked out.

That's the level of customer care I found in 2 major retailers within my range. It's no wonder I buy online now, save all that aggravation & I've not had any problems.
[/quote] Yep I have found that with shops near me PMT has about the most basses but I dont like it there they only seem bothered if your one of there "buddys" or have a few grand to spend. The place I go to now is more guitar orientated only has maybe 10 basses in at most, he is a 1 man outfit but the service he gives is awesome I usally go there for set ups and odds n sods I have never bought a bass from there though as like I say the choice is limited. But I do prefer to buy online I normally buy from here but if it is a new bass I shop online.

I've only ever bought a bass brand new from a shop once in my life. All the rest were 2nd hand . Most were bought from Basschat and a couple of others were bought from ebay. Amazingly they've all been great instruments and any minor adjustments in setup I carried out myself. Unless I won the lottery, I doubt I would ever buy a bass new from a shop (although I have bought guitars and amps new from shops in Edinburgh relatively recently).

2 things already mentioned I believe - I only play flats - the one new bass I've ever seen in a shop with flats fitted is the Fender Pino, complete with rusty bridge etc :( so there's no chance of going into a shop & trying a bass for the feel or tone when I know it's going to be fitted with cheese grater strings :happy:

No bass is ever going to be set up exactly how I want it, no manufacturer or shop is ever going to spend the time & attention on every detail - like I do to get my basses as near to perfect as I can.

I'm happy to accept when I buy a bass online it will need my choice of strings & a thorough set up, that's all part of getting a new bass to me.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1382814989' post='2256951']
Yep I have found that with shops near me PMT has about the most basses but I dont like it there they only seem bothered if your one of there "buddys" or have a few grand to spend. The place I go to now is more guitar orientated only has maybe 10 basses in at most, he is a 1 man outfit but the service he gives is awesome I usally go there for set ups and odds n sods I have never bought a bass from there though as like I say the choice is limited. But I do prefer to buy online I normally buy from here but if it is a new bass I shop online.
[/quote]

I bough my Ibanez BTB from PMT in Birmingham after trying out a pile of basses - they were great leaving me to play all afternoon. I could probably have bought it a bit cheaper on line but they were great in that they adjusted the truss rod, lowered the action in the shop on several basses. Walked out of there pretty satisfied.

My nearest music shop has a woeful stock of bass gear, it's actually got considerably worse in the last 4 or so years to the point there's little point going in there anymore.

The next nearest music shop is Mansons, that's about an hours drive. I like the staff, they're always well mannered and helpful. Recently though I haven't found the stock they carry particularly grabbing. Also the area devoted to basses has shrunk lately, I hope this is only temporary.

That leaves me really reliant on the internet. The last bass I bought, the Yamaha, I bought from Dolphin Music. Ordered and delivered in 36hours, suits me down to the ground. And with distant selling you get 7 days to return, which is a much better trial period than sat in a shop noodling around.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1382782695' post='2256468']
'd personally avoid Nevada like the plague nowadays! It's gone massively down hill, no customer service, untrained and clueless staff who shout their mouths off about people not knowing music and instruments!
[/quote]

Yeh, hasn't been the same since they changed their name from Telecoms :D

I am happy to pay for service, if I get service and find something I like, assuming it isn't stupidly more expensive I am happy to pay for it.
Conversely I am happy to smile as the shutters go up on music shops who never understood that customers were not just an inconvenience of the job.
Most of the guitars and basses I got on line and have got some great instruments that way.