Why become a member? ×

How do I get tone knob on my Precision to actually do something?

thebrig

Right, I've now gone full circle, I started off with a precision, and then I tried almost every other bass you can think of, before coming back to a precision.

For me, it just feels right, and most of the time it sounds right, but is it just me, why do I hear very little difference when using the tone knob?

As I said, most of the time its cuts through nicely, but it would be great if I could get just a little bit more variation in tone, so is there anything that can be done to make the tone pot do more?

I'm not really that clued up on the electrics side of things, and I definitely don't want to go active, so I was wondering whether a different capacitor or whatever would make a difference?

My bass is a Fender American Standard 2008.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1382451918' post='2252285']
Er, maybe it's not wired up correctly? There should be a massive difference, from bright and clanging with it fully up and dull and thuddy when rolled off.
[/quote]

My P bass has loads of range too. From bright 1970s slap, down to thick thud.

Must be something wrong with it. No idea what though - I don't even do my own pickup changes!

I recently switched the original wiring loom on my MIM 50's P for a kiogon one (CTS pots, switchcraft jack and sprague capacitor on the tone pot) and the difference is amazing! The pots now go from 0-11 referencing every number inbetween and the cap has made a big difference to the tone when full up and completely off, there's more punch/oomph available on all settings!

A huge difference for such a simple operation!

I've just been playing a '61 & a '73 and there's definitely some tonal variation in there.

I must admit that I tend to use them either wide open or completely closed and don't do much in between :(

The '73 sounds killer wound right down and played aggressively!

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1382454554' post='2252341']
Those of you who are gettng a lot of range, have they been modified in any way?

[/quote]
My JV-P not modified at all andthe tone knob has a massive range.
My green warmoth made myself - i used an orange drop .047mf capacitor in it - it has massive range
My yellow warmoth has a John East P-retro in it but the passive tone knob has massive range

When you say there is no difference , do you really mean[i] no difference at all [/i]or not as much difference as you would ideally like ? If that knob literally does nothing then something is wrong , but if all it does is roll off the highs and make the bass sound progressively more wooly then that is what it is supposed to do , and I wouldnt expect too much from it . The post -2008 AM St Fenders are fine basses just as they are , and I would seriously think twice before I started pissing about with changing capacitors ect. You might make it sound a little bit different , but you won't neccesarilly end up making it sound better. Precision Basses are not renown for their broad tonal palette , and ( providing it is working correctly) I would recommend trying to enjoy the bass for what it is, i.e a perfectly good P Bass with that characteristic sound we all know and love . If you want more variety of tone from it try experimenting with the E.Q on your amp , or even adding an external preamp if that isn't sufficient .

I am going directly into the amp, no DI involved.

The tone control definitely works, as it goes from wooly to slightly less wooly, but it definitely doesn't go clangy, which I feel is should at least start aproaching it, and like molan stated, I tend to have it either closed or fully open, because like him, there is nothing in between either.

I absolutely love the bass, I got real lucky with it, and I certainly don't want to start messing with it in any way other than maybe a cap change.
It does sound great, but it would be nice just to have a bit more tonal range for different situations.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1382456881' post='2252379']
Dead strings?
[/quote]
Brand new strings, and I change them regularly, so it definitely seems that I have a problem, but then so do many others who have responded so far, and at a guess, I would say it's about 50/50 with some of you getting a full range, and others getting hardly any range at all.

Odd! :huh:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1382456561' post='2252376'] I am going directly into the amp, no DI involved. The tone control definitely works, as it goes from wooly to slightly less wooly, but it definitely doesn't go clangy, which I feel is should at least start aproaching it, and like molan stated, I tend to have it either closed or fully open, because like him, there is nothing in between either. I absolutely love the bass, I got real lucky with it, and I certainly don't want to start messing with it in any way other than maybe a cap change. It does sound great, but it would be nice just to have a bit more tonal range for different situations. [/quote]
if you don't think it's clangy enough, bypass the capacitor altogether, if it doesn't make any difference then it's not that, but if it does then start messing about with the tone circuitry