Why become a member? ×

Will you read Morrissey's Penguin Classic in the making?

xilddx

I like Morrisey as an entity , although his music since leavingThe Smiths has , lets face it been a bit crap by comparison to that monumental band . Maybe writing is the way for him to go from now on . Instead of the big furore that has preceded this publication in Penguine Classics though, I would have much preferred to see this fascinating account of his life serialised in the pages of Razzle magazine or some similar publication , with Morrisey revealing all kinds of hitherto -unkown salacious details about his personal life , maybe with an incident involving a"bonding session " with Jimmy Saville, Jeanette Krankie, a couple of Top Of The Pops audience members and a BBC dressing room and similar shennanigans from throughout his supposedly celibate past.

Let's face it , if any other celebrity had insisted that their autobiography had to be published in Penguine Classics we would all ( including Morrisey) be saying what a w***er they were. Morrisey has built his career on behaving like a tosser but not quite being one, but he is treading an increasingly fine line. I still can't help but like the guy, though, and I look forward to reading the book.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1382433153' post='2251967']
My copy should be arriving from Amazon any day now. I'm looking forward to reading it.
[/quote]

Same here! £4.50. Bargain.

Why is the Kindle version more expensive? I love technology but I don't use a Kindle....(probably because I don't read books that much due to constantly reading/training at work).

I find him a fascinating person. I realise he really gets on people's nerves, but I quite like the way he just does not care.

I am a huge Smiths/Morrissey/Marr fan anyway....so I guess I just get sucked in to anything!

Off topic, I recently went to see Marr play and he was fantastic. Such a clever guitarist, and very modest.

Edited by Musicman20

Morrisey (iPhone spellchecker changes Morrisey to 'Mortuary', funnily enough) is hilarious. I got his sense of humour straight away; very dry, droll and straighfaced. Makes the songs listenable! It's very morbid, sort of like Johnny Cash's earlier stuff.

I'm not really a Smiths/Morrisey/Marr fan, but I look forward to reading it.

Truckstop

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1382400397' post='2251801']
I count myself as a Mozza fan, but launching this in penguin classics has all the hallmarks of a man who has his head firmly up his own behind. I'm looking forward to picking it up in a car boot for 50p in a few weeks and reading it then.
[/quote]

IMO Penguin have damaged their integrity by publishing this as a "classic". Or are good sports going along with the joke, I can't decide which.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1382439144' post='2252076']
IMO Penguin have damaged their integrity by publishing this as a "classic". Or are good sports going along with the joke, I can't decide which.
[/quote]

No , Penguine have damaged their reputation within the world of publishing by participating in this stunt, or "these stunts " if you subscribe to the idea that Morrisey pulling publication at the last minute a few weeks ago was part of a cynical attempt to drum up publicity for the eventual release . Publishers are desperate for sales, just like everybody else nowadays, and Penguin have compromised their editorial standards in the hope of maximising profits.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1382443524' post='2252142']
I just read a bit of it on Amazon.
I am appalled that Morrissey seems to have used American spellings for words such as centre, glamour and colour.
Disappointing.
[/quote]

Daft Flowerarse C*** is still spelled the same though :)

I like his quotes, but I detest his music....and I can really leave The Smiths, too. Always leaves me cold.

But if I saw the book cheap, it could be worth a read. I've read autobiographies before from people that I'm not a fan of, but because they provide an interesting read.

On a side note, I used to work with a plum that was a Mozzer-maniac. He like to be called Morrissey, and even had a name tag made with it written on! He owned over 70 Mozzer t-shirts, it was all he'd be seen in!

He didn't share my musical opinion that the first Smiths LP was passable in places, and then it was downhill all the way! :)[size=4] [/size]