Why become a member? ×

Why does JAZZ seem to be so widely disliked?

xilddx

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1382540356' post='2253406']
Agreed. I think "minority interest" is more appropriate than "widely disliked".
[/quote]
I think that's right. I posted on here yesterday a gig coming up in London next month featuring three of this countries finest bass players. This is a real one off and an opportunity to see these Jazz bass greats on stage at the same time. The post has had 21 views and not one reply so i take it there isn't much interest in jazz even on this forum.

I like some jazz, but not all that much. I've listened to a fair bit and still do, partly because I know I don't understand it.

I was considerably put off, a few years ago, when I read a comment by Dave Brubeck saying that gigs could be spoiled by people in the audience [i]listening in the wrong way[/i].

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1382811071' post='2256899']
I like some jazz, but not all that much. I've listened to a fair bit and still do, partly because I know I don't understand it.

I was considerably put off, a few years ago, when I read a comment by Dave Brubeck saying that gigs could be spoiled by people in the audience [i]listening in the wrong way[/i].
[/quote]
I can understand why people are put off as i grew up in a time when jazz journalists would often give a critique of not only the performance but of the audience. Of course half the time it's all a load of pretentious twaddle. I've seen hundreds of jazz groups over the years as well as most other forms of music. Ornette Coleman is a particular favourite of mine but don't ask me to explain his theory of harmolodics because i haven't a clue, but it doesn't make his music any the less enjoyable. I also think that the most beautiful piece of music i've ever heard is 'Angel Of Light" (Symphony No VII) by Finnish composer Einojuhani Rautavaara. It's beautiful, sad, and joyous but don't ask me to explain. I just listen. :)

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I have a lot of respect for jazz and I feel I should love it. Whenever I read or hear about it I think that sounds amazing, but then I listen to it! I do love the drumming but often the notes played just make me wince! I was going to write jazz off but then I discovered 'acoustic ladyland' who are awesome!![/font]

Those who do not love jazz are time and again described as lesser specimen, but in fact some of the most musical people dislike jazz.
I think it is much about what way you listen to music, and to what degree you can accept the enormous amounts of weak choices that are made in jazz. I personally can accept those weak choices (and love jazz), but some people just can't.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1382310797' post='2250588']

As well as having every LP he's made i've managed to see Ornette live in every decade since the 70s and he never ceases to amaze me.

Fabulous music whatever anyone wants to calls it. :)
[/quote]
Hats off.

A lot of you have probably experienced something very similar, but i'll tell this anyway.
Way back when HMV had a designated jazz section (before it became amalgamated with Johnny Cash, Judy Garland and Muddy Waters - ie. everything outside of pop/rock), I was in the Leeds branch, leafing through the Blue Notes and Prestige etc. when two young lads walked through. They were maybe 13 and evidently in the wrong part of the store.
They looked at me, then at the CDs in my hand, and one just simply said, "Jazz. w***er's music".
I really did laugh out loud.

I've never been a fan of Jazz but since my better half bought herself an alto sax and started to play some basic Jazz, she has had the desire to go down to the Big Smoke and experience Ronnie Scott's. Doesn't matter who's on, she just fancied the experience. Well, last week we found ourselves down in London for a couple of days and on Thursday we got to see The Mingus Big Band who were playing there all week. The evening started really well as it looked just as expected - like something out of a 1960's London gangland movie. We ordered food and the support came on - an outfit called the Mark Gorman Trio. The compare introduced the band "and on the Bass Guitar - Laurence Cottle". Hangon, did I just hear that right? Sure enough, there was the man himself playing a rather tasty TRB5P11. We were treated to 45 minutes of pure magic by 3 virtuoso musicians. The burger and chips (or what are known as 'fries' in London) weren't half bad neither. A quick stage change and Mingus were on. A 14 piece band who are based in New York and anchored by Boris Kozlov on double bass. This guy was just brilliant as were the whole band. If you ever get the opportunity......do it. So, as someone who has no interest in Jazz, I would say that anything done well live can be enjoyed by anyone who isn't blinkered to a specific genre. (On the Friday we went to see The Commitments on the West End and again the music was impeccable. Off to see the Stereophonics on 14th Nov in Manchester). Still not sure I could get on with Opera though!

Edited by mr zed

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1383007103' post='2259164']
Still not sure I could get on with Opera though!
[/quote]

Sitting in the amazing Teatro Alla Scale in Milan,
With top, top Musicians and singers might change that.
Depends on the Opera for me.

But a few days away with your partner in Milan,
taking in great food and an Opera is a real treat.
One time I managed to send the wife and friends off shopping,
and I went off with the boys to the Derby della Madonnina. :D[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1383032928' post='2259221']
Sitting in the amazing Teatro Alla Scale in Milan,
With top, top Musicians and singers might change that.
Depends on the Opera for me.

But a few days away with your partner in Milan,
taking in great food and an Opera is a real treat.
One time I managed to send the wife and friends off shopping,
and I went off with the boys to the Derby della Madonnina.
[/quote]

What a lovely poem! :happy:

Edited by discreet

I would say that anything done well live can be enjoyed by anyone who isn't blinkered to a specific genre.
[/quote]

+1

Still not sure I could get on with Opera though!
[/quote]

+2 ;)

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1383340471' post='2263492']
Whether it's good or bad or whether people like it or not. This is where it has ended up and some Jazz musicians have recorded this. What does it say about their beloved art. Could you imagine Bilbo rocking this?

[/quote]
Oh no. I expect you're going to tell me next that all those 60s Beat groups had jazz musicians playing on their records.

It's enough to make any true beret wearing jazz disciple take his vinyl record collection of Hard Bop and send it frisbee style from the window of his inner city loft apartment.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1383052306' post='2259512']
It is not based on repetition and most people like repetition.
[/quote]

At it's core, music [b]is[/b] based on repetition, so that statement in that exact wording will fall in the very first stages of a serious discussion. You may wish to rephrase.

[quote name='JazzyYama' timestamp='1383522096' post='2265543']
I'm just gonna sit this down over here and contemplate the subject of the thread...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hOA-Xh40-M8"]http://www.youtube.c...bed/hOA-Xh40-M8[/url]
[/quote]
Wonderful. I remember buying a ticket for a choir seat at the Festival Hall and being a few feet away from NHOP. What a treat and maybe that's (from a purely selfish point of view) one of the things i love about jazz is that i paid 7 quid for that seat while up the road people were probably paying 10-20 times that to listen to some old farts banging on about some old brick in a wall.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1383522797' post='2265551']
Wonderful. I remember buying a ticket for a choir seat at the Festival Hall and being a few feet away from NHOP. What a treat and maybe that's (from a purely selfish point of view) one of the things i love about jazz is that i paid 7 quid for that seat while up the road people were probably paying 10-20 times that to listen to some old farts banging on about some old brick in a wall.
[/quote]
Aye, it is wonderful there are so many great musicians around. I remember feeling very lucky going to a small jazz cellar bar late one night on a day that the lincoln centre jazz orchestra were in town playing a large concert hall, and several of their players just turned up with their instruments for the joy of playing. I do feel a bit depressed when you see the level of skill and dedication displayed by some struggling jazz musicians compared to the rewards on offer for tv talent show contestants :(