Why become a member? ×

Good bass tone here

The Dark Lord

Never heard of this lot.

However, despite it not being my cup of tea musically and playing with fingers instead of a pick .... AND playing an un-Fender..... this dude is getting a good tone out his bass right there.

I do like bands and songs where the bass is loud and in your face like this. We is not backing musicians.

Bass should be right up there with the lead vocal and driving the chuuuunne.

Looks like a Yamaha something or other. Difficult to see if you is playing through a Hartke or a Fender rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vef-tMatGs&feature=share

That is Billy Sheehan on bass playing his signature Yam 'Attitude', I believe. I didn't like what he played much OR his tone until I learned a Mr Big number for a rock covers band I was in, and then had an 'ahhh!' moment. :)

I think you'll find Mr Sheehan, his playing and his tone definitely have 'the Marmite effect' on this forum. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382035284' post='2247096']
That is Billy Sheehan on bass. I didn't like what he played OR his tone until I learned a Mr Big number, then had an 'ahhh!' moment. :)
[/quote]

..... pause for a moment while I Google Billy Sheehan.

Okay. Dun it. I might seek out more of this guy's playing. He plays good - and I really like the tone he is getting there.

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1382035365' post='2247099']
..... pause for a moment while I Google Billy Sheehan.

Okay. Dun it. I might seek out more of this guy's playing. He plays good - and I really like the tone he is getting there.
[/quote]

The 'winery dogs' album (band featured in vid) is superb and contains much of that playing :)

Killer player, although never somebody I've had tone envy for. Haven't listened to this particular video though.

EDIT: Listening now. One of his better tones. Bit thin still for my taste but the grind and growl is great.

On an unrelated note Richie Kotzen could pass for Chris Cornell in this track.

Edited by Ziphoblat

I'm never a fan of one instrument that detracts from a song, and the bass at times is definitely doing that in this clip. The bass tone is kind of secondary for me, always has been. Still, I managed to get through 2 minutes of the song which is at least longer than I would have had it been one of Sheehan's solos!

EDIT just listened for that bit longer, lo and behold, a bass solo! He reminds me a bit of Flea's way of live performance in this actually. Relentless bass hammering.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1382035558' post='2247102']
The 'winery dogs' album (band featured in vid) is superb and contains much of that playing :)
[/quote]

I like it too. Some find his playing a bit too 'look at me', - sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, but hey, why not? :D
He's been round the block a few times but he definitely does all right for himself, so good on him I say.

Edited by discreet

I think that the OP may be the only bass player who has never heard of Billy Sheehan…!

I love the Winery Dogs album – exceptional playing balanced by great songs. Kotzen is an amazingly talented singer / guitar player / songwriter…

Well I suppose if I can't post this here, I can't post it anywhere...
...this is the number I learnt for a covers band I was in. [size=4]Really great fun to play. :)[/size]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHGv5FCS2j8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHGv5FCS2j8[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382041852' post='2247246']
Well I suppose if I can't post this here, I can't post it anywhere...
...this is the number I learnt for a covers band I was in. [size=4]Really great fun to play. :)[/size]

[/quote]
Great stuff – must be an ace song to cover…!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1382040650' post='2247220']
I think that the OP may be the only bass player who has never heard of Billy Sheehan…!

[/quote]

I had never heard of him when I bought my first bass (BS signiture Yammy), I just liked the minty green colour and the black offset blocked fretboard.
I'm a bit embarrassed by that now. :blush:

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1382044033' post='2247288']
I had never heard of him when I bought my first bass (BS signiture Yammy), I just liked the minty green colour and the black offset blocked fretboard.
I'm a bit embarrassed by that now. :blush:
[/quote]
Hey, nothing wrong with that - it is just that he is so high profile compared to most bass players and has been for so long that I kinda assumed that everyone interested in playing bass would be aware of him!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1382044429' post='2247299']
I just assumed he was being 'ironic' :)
[/quote]

Nope. Not being ironic. Never heard of him. Come to think of it, I had vaguely heard of his signature bass, maybe. He's good though.

Have Mr Big or any other bands he's been in ever bothered the charts?

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1382044878' post='2247310']
Nope. Not being ironic. Never heard of him. Come to think of it, I had vaguely heard of his signature bass, maybe. He's good though.

[/quote]An American number one and worldwide hit with an untypical acoustic ballad in the early 90s [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QD5n98R_nk[/media]

Edited by peteb

[/quote]

Definitely in the US.

With David Lee Roth he's had #4 & #6 albums.
Mr Big have had #15 album and a single that was #1 in USA, Germany, Australia etc and even #3 in the UK

All of these were quite a while ago but I think he's got credits on something like 400 recordings!

He's pretty famous for live clinics and has done these all over the world. He seems to be playing somewhere virtually every night!

Very much a lead 'face' for Yamaha and Hartke.

[/quote]

And more than a little JJ sounding in that clip, maybe why you like it DL (cos it`s certainly why I do).

I was rather influenced by working in a guitar shop with guitarists who thought Mr Big was the be all and end all of guitar music, so, despite not really liking his sound, I have been a fan of Billy since I was 14. Even if he is a Scientologist...
However, I have never heard of most of the other Bass players that get talked about on BassChat, certainly not until I joined here, and even now I have little clue. Except Steve Harris and Lemmy, obviously.