Why become a member? ×

Akai Deep Impact

Thunderbird

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1382050718' post='2247432']
I think it was the Boss ME8B that I had. It had a great PWM* sound that was probably lifted from the SYB3 pedal.

[size=2]*Pulse Width Modulation[/size]
[/quote]

I have th me 8b. Complicated for me at first. My first effects unit other Ghana chorus at the time. Manual is complicated .have since bought seperate mini rack effects , but will keep it for the synth/octave etc.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1382085320' post='2247596']
Having owned most synth pedals on the market. The SB-1 is pretty hard to beat. Is it worth £700..... to me yes as there is no other pedal or pedals that can re-create that sound.
[/quote]

So, to clarify, having owned them and for whatever reason had to sell them, you would buy one again for £700? I always thought it was just fans that made it the stupid price it is, not actually based on the pedal! It was £85 new!

Happy to admit i bought mine following a muse obsession, found that there are a million other factors defining Wolstenholmes sound and was completely disappointed. Then it developed a fault whilst I had it and sold it for around £150. 7 years on from selling mine, I would quite like one back, and may even pay in excess of £200 as it is good for the sounds it does, but £700? The cost of a decent second hand synthesizer? Or a second hand Roland setup? Or a pretty decent bass? Or Amp? Or a complete pedal board?

I just don't get it, but then again I guess I don't need to, each to their own :)

[quote name='ordep' timestamp='1382130979' post='2248593']
@kev, having owned both, how do you compare it to the new iron ether synth pedal?
[/quote]

They are really far too Incomparable to comment; completely different pedals trying to achieve completely different things :). For a most basic comparioson, the Deep Impact is a all-in-one digital synthesizer for cheesy and funky synth sounds, whereas the Subterranea just creates the squarewave/pulsewave and acts as a master oscillator for an effects pedal chain i.e. you will need a fuzz and filter after it to maximise its usage. You'll never get either to get close to each others sound and use.

OK... if someone is prepared to pay £700 for it, then that's what it's worth. To that person.

But buying a pedal, or a bass, or an amp because you think it'll make you sound like a particular player is crazy. Why would you want to sound like someone else? Chris whatsisname already sounds like Chris whatsisname. The world doesn't need [i]another [/i]Chris whatsisname! Especially one that is only ever going to be an imitation of Chris whatsisname!

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1382043220' post='2247277']
As an electronics dumbass, how difficult/expensive would it be to make an identical clone of these? As there not particularly old I assume all the components are still readily available.
Just an idol question before anyone jumps out my monitor and brands a Behringer logo on my ass :D .
[/quote]

Very difficult, it will use a programmed chip, so it's basically a mini computer, you'd need the code and even then you probably couldn't do it exactly, and even if you could, you'd probably be breaking the law.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382192870' post='2249122']
OK... if someone is prepared to pay £700 for it, then that's what it's worth. To that person.

But buying a pedal, or a bass, or an amp because you think it'll make you sound like a particular player is crazy. Why would you want to sound like someone else? Chris whatsisname already sounds like Chris whatsisname. The world doesn't need [i]another [/i]Chris whatsisname! Especially one that is only ever going to be an imitation of Chris whatsisname!
[/quote]+1 :)

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1382195857' post='2249165']
Very difficult, it will use a programmed chip, so it's basically a mini computer, you'd need the code and even then you probably couldn't do it exactly, and even if you could, you'd probably be breaking the law.
[/quote]

Fair enough, I thought it was maybe just a whole bunch of resistors and diodes and stuff rather than programs. Just thought you buy can a hell of lot of electrical components for £700.
They do seem like crazy money but if you want/need it then that's the price you pay, I'd be worried about buying one now and then they fall out of favour and are only worth a couple of hundred. I'm sure when I had my Unibass they were nowhere near that sort of money, even though discontinued.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1382195857' post='2249165']
[/quote]

as Akai don't want to make them anymore I wonder why they don't license the technology to another company. There's obviously a demand for the product.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1382117860' post='2248311']
So, to clarify, having owned them and for whatever reason had to sell them, you would buy one again for £700? I always thought it was just fans that made it the stupid price it is, not actually based on the pedal! It was £85 new!

Happy to admit i bought mine following a muse obsession, found that there are a million other factors defining Wolstenholmes sound and was completely disappointed. Then it developed a fault whilst I had it and sold it for around £150. 7 years on from selling mine, I would quite like one back, and may even pay in excess of £200 as it is good for the sounds it does, but £700? The cost of a decent second hand synthesizer? Or a second hand Roland setup? Or a pretty decent bass? Or Amp? Or a complete pedal board?

I just don't get it, but then again I guess I don't need to, each to their own :)
[/quote]

I'd like not to have to pay £700 but I'm lucky enough to have two of them so if my stage unit does finally fail I have a back up...... If I was in the position where I needed one then I probably would pay the £700. I guess it's an exception considering the type of music my band plays

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382220109' post='2249539']
Ah... but if there were loads of them, there wouldn't be.
[/quote]

but akai as company does not get any penny from the insane second hand prices so they could earn at least something when creating reissue line or selling license to another manufactirer.

As far as I can tell, Akai don't have any other highly desirable 'leading' pedals or effects out, I just don't understand why they don't reintroduce this pedal to establish a leading product. They could still sell it for £400 and maintain their integrity. I wouldn't be buying one but it seems like a very profitable venture with a cultivated audience.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1382627437' post='2254646']
As far as I can tell, Akai don't have any other highly desirable 'leading' pedals or effects out, I just don't understand why they don't reintroduce this pedal to establish a leading product. They could still sell it for £400 and maintain their integrity. I wouldn't be buying one but it seems like a very profitable venture with a cultivated audience.
[/quote]

Problem is, after a good starting period, no one will want to pay £400 for it. It's value is based on rarity as much as it is sound, take away rarity and your just left with a decent digital mass produced synth pedal.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1382627437' post='2254646']
[/quote]

As much as I would love Akai to rerelease this (ideally lower than 400 quid!); all that would do would push the "MK1" up in price as people claim it sounded better ;)

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1382628120' post='2254659']
Consider this value for money (for the effects/sounds you get), Pete Cornish sells his Fuzz Pedal for nearly £600 lol

[url="http://www.petecornish.co.uk/SAEP-1.html"]http://www.petecorni....uk/SAEP-1.html[/url]

Si
[/quote]

Amen to that, he produces some seriously nice kit but way out of my budget!

• 3 weeks later...

I had the Deep Impact many many moons ago - personally i found it to be a pile of poo, and sold it. Its no more worth £600/700 than a 60's Fender J bass is worth £XXXXXX

Its just the fever kids start when some face starts using a pedal, and they all drive the price up to disproportionate levels, way above sensible. The price, now, is what fascinates the unwary + the lack of them for sale, thinking this must be the dogs nuts. It isnt

The only reason i'd buy one now was if i saw one for sale for peanuts and would simply sell it on to a mug with too much money, so i could buy something useful

Edited by fleabag