Why become a member? ×

What a difference pickup height makes!

dannybuoy

I got my hands on a new Yamaha BB1025X yesterday, and at first wasn't bowled over when I plugged it in. The bridge pickup sounded absolutely monstrous compared to my BB415, but the P pickup sounded flat and lifeless, without the low end thump the P is known for. Both pickups together sounded very scooped and not what I was used to from my 415.

Luckily I decided to experiment with the pickup heights - I raised the P by only a very small amount and it was transformed, with bags of thump and growl!

I found I got the best blended sound with the bridge pickup lowered slightly so unfortunately I have to compromise between having either a beastly solo bridge pickup or a tamer sound that blends better with the P. Shame there is no equivalent of the Hipshot D-Tuner for pickup heights!

This is just a reminder for those of you who rarely fiddle with such things to give it a try, especially if you play a bass and aren't satisfied with the sound! Honestly, if I'd tried it as it was in a shop I would not have bought it, so I was amazed how sensitive these particular pups are to small changes in height.

Edited by dannybuoy

It can be surprising what a difference a small adjustment makes; 1-2mm can make a massive difference! I usually go for 5mm from the strings at the neck, and 4mm at the bridge (on the recommendation of Sandberg) and it sounds great! Obviously different basses/tastes will require different pickup heights, etc, etc.

Glad you got it sounding how you want! :D

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1380650531' post='2228517']
Has to be fairly low on the E for me, as being rather heavy-handed it booms otherwise but I agree, the height of the pickups really makes a difference.
[/quote]

+1.

Also, with a muscular technique the E string will hit the pickup if it's too high.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to play with EMG's on one of my basses. I love the tone on both but I like to be able to flip between them and at the moment one has more presence than the other.

Edited by Pinball

A hell of a difference can be made by lowering the pups too. I know it's counter intuitive but it works. I think possibly the magnetic field "traps" the strings and impedes their vibration. I visually set pup height to around a 4mm gap with the string held at the highest fret and if I feel something's not quite right the only way is down.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1380702143' post='2229017']

That's a phrase that I like ... far more flattering than ham-fisted (which is how people usually describe me)!
[/quote]

THank you sir. It came to me on the spur of the moment. I have to say I was quite pleased with it myself !

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1380647180' post='2228436']
(...)

I found I got the best blended sound with the bridge pickup lowered slightly so unfortunately I have to compromise between having either a beastly solo bridge pickup or a tamer sound that blends better with the P. Shame there is no equivalent of the Hipshot D-Tuner for pickup heights!

(...)
[/quote]

Can't you get the sound you want with the blend turned more to the P pickup without having to lower the bridge pickup? My favourite solo pickup sounds don't work very well when balanced on the center detent, i always push the pot a little bit over the detent to the neck pickup side. I got used to it very quickly.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1380650342' post='2228513']
I've often seen Precisions where the pup is screwed almost flush to the body on the E and G sides. Needs to be far higher!
[/quote]

Depends on the pickup/player. My 2 ps have utterly different heights to achieve a fairly similar sound.
:)

One is flush on the E/G sides, t'other is very far from it.

I often wonder if one of the reasons people rave about changing pickups is because as they install the new ones they actually have to think about the height to set them to...

I really need to setup both my basses but I've always found getting the pickup heights right really hard for some reason. I find my ears get fatigued quite quickly and then it all goes to pot.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1380710246' post='2229214']

Can't you get the sound you want with the blend turned more to the P pickup without having to lower the bridge pickup? My favourite solo pickup sounds don't work very well when balanced on the center detent, i always push the pot a little bit over the detent to the neck pickup side. I got used to it very quickly.
[/quote]

This is a BB - it doesn't have a blend!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1380721017' post='2229501']
[/quote][quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1380721017' post='2229501']
[/quote]

But works the same with VVT config, can't you get a volume setting where you balance both pickups like you want to? How are you currently mixing them? Both full?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1380703773' post='2229066']
I think possibly the magnetic field "traps" the strings and impedes their vibration.[/quote]

They do. Remember that strings are made of (magnetic) metal and pickups contain magnets. The magnetic field pulls the string downwards and restricts the string's upward movement - thereby reducing vibration and sustain. Lowering pickup height gives a reduction in volume but and increase in sustain.

For most of us, there is a compromise height where we don't lose too much of either!

I think it's a square law too. In other words if you half the distance between string and pickup, in a perfect world, output will be 4x greater. Of course in practice there are various losses, but it's definitely not a linear relationship even then.

Edited by ead

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1380722378' post='2229540']
But works the same with VVT config, can't you get a volume setting where you balance both pickups like you want to? How are you currently mixing them? Both full?
[/quote]

Most BBs don't have VVT ---they have master volume, master tone and a three way selector switch.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1380726973' post='2229634']
They do. Remember that strings are made of (magnetic) metal and pickups contain magnets. The magnetic field pulls the string downwards and restricts the string's upward movement - thereby reducing vibration and sustain. Lowering pickup height gives a reduction in volume but and increase in sustain.

For most of us, there is a compromise height where we don't lose too much of either!
[/quote]doesnt the string have to be very close to restrict movement.? interesting. i wonder also, if a closer pickup to string produces a more focused sound.?

I too have a bit of a heavy style (with a pick) and I find my E booms really easily if I'm not careful. I have that side of the P pickup down as far as I can but I still have to be very careful on the E. I'm not sure if this is usual, my pickup / bass, me or my strings.