Why become a member? ×

LostProphets - The inevitable end

MiltyG565

LostProphets announced on their Facebook page that after a long time mulling over their options, they've decided to call it a day. I'm not exactly shocked, given that their lead man is being investigated for child abuse and sexual allegations. It's a shame though that they had to end this way, I think. I used to like them (back when they released Start Something), and I believe they basically brought an entire genre into the mainstream, which most of us would call something like deathcore, metalcore, whateverfloatsyourboatcore.

Views? Insights?

Discussion is encouraged! :)

I remember feeling sorry for the rest of the band when Watkins was arrested as it's basically killed the rest of their careers, I wouldn't have thought a band made up of former Lost Prophets members is going to have much sucess.

Yeah I think in some ways they were ahead of their time and became a bit like the UK version of Linkin Park in terms of mainstream appeal for a band which before would have been considered relatively niche.

I think in many way the whole Emo/ teen metal culture kind of spawned of the back of bands like Lost Prophets.

Great shame about the whole singer debacle as clearly no one comes off well even if he is found innocent.

And of course then there are the victim(s).... :(

Bit of a shame. Dragon Vs Shinbi Ninja and Fake sound of progress were songs of my youth (no pun intended!).

UK version of LP is good comparison I feel. I started to dislike them when the songs suffered due to image.

Also Watkins is such a miserable sod live!

It must be a major blow to anyone that a close friend or work colleague gets charged with such serious crimes as this. You always hope that the allegations turn out false, but the evidence doesn`t look promising, so I think they are right to call it a day. I can`t see that the rest of the band will be stigmatised though. Perhaps they can do a Foo Fighters type of thing.

I am not sure the rest of the band will be stigmatised by association, I know very little about the band other than the lead singer is under investigation for very bad things, replace the singer (easier said than done, I know) but I see no reason why they couldn't carry on if that happened

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1380649094' post='2228483']
Why couldn't they carry on and just replace the guy. Is he really indispensable?

I can understand that they might not want to, but that's not the same as it being inevitable.
[/quote]

That would be another option, but I think he was pretty integral to the band. I don't think they would have had much luck anyway, their reputation has been tainted now.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1380646133' post='2228412']
it's not the end of the world.
[/quote]

I know, but this is a music forum, and they are a pretty popular band, so it's worth a mention at least.

I don't think the rest of them will be stigmatised by association but I'm sure everyone else involved with the band just want to bury this and move on. Unfortunately the band's name has been tarnished, even if they wanted to carry on it would be difficult after this.
Also, probably for legal reasons of some sort they may not be able to carry on without this bloke using the name Lostprophets, even if they wanted.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1380702479' post='2229024']
Never been a fan (Last Summer was good though), but IMO the remaining guys should rise up, change their name and carry on. Show the world (and their former singer) that they will not be tainted by association.
[/quote]

Gotta say I kind of agree.

Absolutely not my sort of music and way after my time, but strangely I am sorry to hear this too.

When my daughter hit 13 and discovered loud, offend-your-parents music, the song she played loudest was [i][b]Last Train[/b][/i] ... and I ended up loving it.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1380642983' post='2228349']
I remember feeling sorry for the rest of the band when Watkins was arrested as it's basically killed the rest of their careers, I wouldn't have thought a band made up of former Lost Prophets members is going to have much sucess.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I knew as soon as he was arrested, they were over.

Mind you, it would have obviously been a lot better to not have this outcome, but they have had a long run at it. I was roughly 17 when they first came out, (I think!). I'm now 32.

Been a fan since Start Something (think I found them via Bruce Dickinson's rock show).

Unfortunately, although it shouldn't effect the other members of the group whatever way the case goes, it will probably hang over them like a bad smell. Also, as someone raised, there might be ownership issues with the name anyway.

If he is cleared, they can always do a comeback at a later stage. If he isn't, well best to make a clean break and hopefully comeback as another entity.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1380703016' post='2229041']
Absolutely not my sort of music and way after my time, but strangely I am sorry to hear this too.

When my daughter hit 13 and discovered loud, offend-your-parents music, the song she played loudest was [i][b]Last Train[/b][/i] ... and I ended up loving it.
[/quote]

That's a great song off a great album! :)

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1380702479' post='2229024']
Never been a fan (Last Summer was good though), but IMO the remaining guys should rise up, change their name and carry on. Show the world (and their former singer) that they will not be tainted by association.
[/quote]

Absolutely! But it might be easier said than done. They'd have to do a lot of press work to show that they aren't associated with Watkins anymore, and that they never knew or endorsed what he was doing.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1380704110' post='2229079']
My thoughts exactly. I knew as soon as he was arrested, they were over.

Mind you, it would have obviously been a lot better to not have this outcome, but they have had a long run at it. I was roughly 17 when they first came out, (I think!). I'm now 32.
[/quote]

They said on Facebook "Thanks for all the support over the last 15 years!", so yeah, 17! :) I was 5... :P

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1380704392' post='2229085']
If he is cleared, they can always do a comeback at a later stage. If he isn't, well best to make a clean break and hopefully comeback as another entity.
[/quote]

I don't think that's likely to happen. Whether he's guilty or innocent, his name has been dragged through the mud now. I would hope he's innocent, and that they can come back, but even then, they'll have that stigma attached to them. There will always be people who call him a kiddy-fiddler, regardless of the outcome of the trial. The damage is done, whether rightly or wrongly, and it's not something that's easy to recover from. Just look at the catholic church - It's got a reputation now for child abuse and molestation, however, I grew up as a catholic, and none of the priests I knew (as far as I know) ever committed a sexual offence, but that doesn't matter, because the entire church has that reputation now.

(Sorry for bringing religion into this, but I was just using it as an example, and I don't wish to debate the ins and outs of their situation, that's for another thread, if the mods allow.)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1380646133' post='2228412']
it's not the end of the world.
[/quote]
[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1380661437' post='2228743']

I know, but this is a music forum, and they are a pretty popular band, so it's worth a mention at least.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwxDhdXjgCs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwxDhdXjgCs[/url]

:facepalm:

I don't think Watkins was integral to the band at all, average voice, miserable live. To me that screams "easily replacable"
However, the Lost Prophets brand has pretty much been dragged through the mud because of him, I certainly don't blame the band at all.
I might expect them to do an Alterbridge (post Creed) and simply reform under a different name/frontman perhaps

Si

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1380704392' post='2229085']
[/quote]

Form a supergroup with Pete Townshend, if he is acquitted. What other band members can they have?

If not acquitted, form supergroup with [font="Arial,Helvetica"]Tripp Eisen, and the drummer from Judas Priest.[/font]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1380719489' post='2229472']
Form a supergroup with Pete Townshend, if he is acquitted. What other band members can they have?

If not acquitted, form supergroup with [font=Arial,Helvetica]Tripp Eisen, and the drummer from Judas Priest.[/font]
[/quote]

Matthew kelly and Rolf harris (fingers crossed)