Why become a member? ×

Trick ...how to get new strings in 10 minutes....

John Cellario

Ha! A bit of a trick. When you remove a string it regains a touch of resiliance (for about 2 minutes) Also, the area where it's been " fret worn" is different when the string are removed (or loosened completely so where it touches the fret is a little fresher. But the string has still changed it's molecular structure from vibrating thousands of times so what is old cannot be new. It'll just be revived for short time and go dead by the end of a set.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1380573999' post='2227430']
Ha! A bit of a trick. When you remove a string it regains a touch of resiliance (for about 2 minutes) Also, the area where it's been " fret worn" is different when the string are removed (or loosened completely so where it touches the fret is a little fresher. But the string has still changed it's molecular structure from vibrating thousands of times so what is old cannot be new. It'll just be revived for short time and go dead by the end of a set.
[/quote]
Agreed. If you put an old, used set back on a bass, they sound new again for a couple of hours - then dead.

[/quote] Yeah but for the people who are broke, it still brings life back to dead strings. its not a new set and wont last forever, but give the idea a break. anyone would think reviving old strings was a really bad idea. Lowender while reading your techno babble, a little life went from my strings. jeez ;) but seriously sometimes i cant get strings in time, so a quick refresh for a rehearsal is just what i need.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1380576821' post='2227483']
Yeah but for the people who are broke, it still brings life back to dead strings. its not a new set and wont last forever, but give the idea a break. anyone would think reviving old strings was a really bad idea. Lowender while reading your techno babble, a little life went from my strings. jeez ;) but seriously sometimes i cant get strings in time, so a quick refresh for a rehearsal is just what i need.
[/quote]

Sorry to upset you with useful information. Carry on.

[/quote]
I'm sure that you're correct. That 'new' feeling or sound isn't going to last for long.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1380579102' post='2227528']
What I dont understand is how can slapping remove the oil build up from the strings ? Dirt and dead skin....maybe...but the natural oils in the hands help to deaden strings. I'm assuming this "trick" works by violently shaking off any excess dirt.[/quote]

What does 'natural oil' do to deaden the strings? Does it chemically alter the strings or does it just make them dirty? Maybe it helps attract/attach dirt, and anything that can subsequently remove the dirt is a worthwhile exercise.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1380581177' post='2227558']
What does 'natural oil' do to deaden the strings? Does it chemically alter the strings or does it just make them dirty? Maybe it helps attract/attach dirt, and anything that can subsequently remove the dirt is a worthwhile exercise.
[/quote]

Well, you often hear of people who wash their hands very often during a practice or gig, but the acid in their sweat still causes the strings to go dead. Cant be dirt if the hands are washed that often, so perhaps it's safe to assume that the sweat corrodes the strings.

I don't think that's a safe assumption tbh. Unless there's evidence of a chemical change in the strings? My hands sweat but my strings don't discolour or break or anything, there's no obvious sign that anything has changed.

I think it's pretty unlikely to be honest. I think it's more likely that oil from the skin gets between the windings and deadens the strings that way. And maybe the situation can be improved by shaking it out.

Personally I like the bright sound of new strings but have freakishly acidic sweat (new strings will sound dead by the time I've finished a 2 hour gig!). I just boil my strings in a saucepan of water for 20 minutes then wipe them down thoroughly with a cloth before every gig and they sound like new - at least until the next gig.
Disclaimer:- it is advisable to have a special saucepan reserved for this purpose as using one of the good pans to boil dead skin cells and grease out of your strings may result in the missus smacking you over the head with aforementioned pan!

Edited by Painy

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1380662702' post='2228772']
Personally I like the bright sound of new strings but have freakishly acidic sweat (new strings will sound dead by the time I've finished a 2 hour gig!). I just boil my strings in a saucepan of water for 20 minutes then wipe them down thoroughly with a cloth before every gig and they sound like new - at least until the next gig.
Disclaimer:- it is advisable to have a special saucepan reserved for this purpose as using one of the good pans to boil dead skin cells and grease out of your strings may result in the missus smacking you over the head with aforementioned pan!
[/quote]

Listen mate, you need to do what I do. Use coated strings (I use Cleartone and they last for f***ing ages) and play wearing a pair of black silk gloves from Jasmine Silk. They look a lot better than you do standing with an old pan by the Aga explaining to your mrs that proper Italian spaghetti is supposed to look like that.

are they likea
[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1380664604' post='2228811']
Listen mate, you need to do what I do. Use coated strings (I use Cleartone and they last for f***ing ages) and play wearing a pair of black silk gloves from Jasmine Silk. They look a lot better than you do standing with an old pan by the Aga explaining to your mrs that proper Italian spaghetti is supposed to look like that.
[/quote]are they like Elixir strings Nige? (I Have the same issue) in that I can "Kill"a new set of strings within minutes like Painy says because of acidic sweaty fingers (yuk,sorry) I have however found that Elixir strings have lasted for a year on my acoustic guitar, and still sound bright. do you know if they work so well for bass guitar? I like that zing of new strings!!