Why become a member? ×

crazy concept bass

Ou7shined

Thanks everyone.
Not much to add today as I've been working on proper basses the last couple of days, ones that look like fenders and gibsons not something that looks like Aleister Crowley's banjo.

What I have done though is I've rebuilt the neck butt (scrapheap challenge style) and done a test rout so I can install the LEDs which actually better than I thought... less cheesy if you like. :yarr:

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1380026971' post='2219688']
Great work Rich.

Puzzled - how will the earth from the bridge travel to where it should go? :blink:
[/quote]

Cheers man

This had me for a while too H. Been through a few different ideas... but on grounds of practicality I have decided on copper tape. I should have sussed it right away as that's what I did on my own last bass - copper strip from cavity to bridge. :)

The new bridge I ordered arrived this afternoon..... and I couldn't help myself :D

Obviously the camera flash totally kills the [s]comedy[/s] eerie effect of the LEDs but you kinda get to see what's going on.

As you can see just got a wee quick earth wire rigged up for now but when I've got it painted I'll go back to plan A.

I thought it would play like a dog considering how fast it has taken to build up and how little time the woods have had to settle but it plays surprisingly well... and has a loud acoustic sound too - I thought that the "isolated" bridge would deaden the sound but obviously not.
I need to drop the bridge (as in remove some wood out from underneath it) a little to achieve the setup I like. The only grind so far is that I'm experiencing a strange phenomenon where the D and G are slightly louder than the E and A while the pups are wired in series like this but when I tried them in parallel it disappeared. Tried all the possible permutations of reversing the pups but still couldn't get to the bottom of it. Need to investigate this more when I'm not so tired. The Status pup is noticeably louder than the Bart - maybe this has something to do with it.

Sir, you are quite mad! ;)
What a fab piece of work!
Really like the whole design,
and the flashing LED red eyes are a master touch of genius

Superb woodworking skills / luthier skills
Re painting, if you're short of time, you could just go for a distressed look for now
then finish it properly when you get back?

Keep up the awesome work
Marc