Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz RIP...?

wateroftyne

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1379180925' post='2209600']
What will happen with GB amps still in warranty? Will it still be honoured?
[/quote]

I have owned my Genz gear for years, it was owned by Fender back then, I see no difference other than the label, I am sure we will see a glut of small Fender heads over the next few years and to be honest knowing Fender fanbois they will sell well and end the myths of small heads?

Warranty claims have afaik always gone through Fender anyway so I see no issues at all, none of mine have warranty left anyway :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1379193037' post='2209771']
Surely GB would have been making money?
[/quote]Obviously not enough not to accept the Fender offer. As for Fender retiring the GB brand, it wouldn't be the first time a large company has bought out a smaller company just to eliminate them as competitors, with no intention of preserving the brand.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1379276779' post='2210806']
...it wouldn't be the first time a large company has bought out a smaller company just to eliminate them as competitors, with no intention of preserving the brand.
[/quote]

Ah, bow down before glorious, unregulated capitalism. How awesome is the power of the unfettered marketplace.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1379323580' post='2211151']
It seems odd in that, as far as I'm concerned, the GB brand holds a lot more credibility than that of Fender as an innovative, forward thinking amp maker. Why not use that to their advantage?
[/quote]

At a guess? An amp with Genz Benz innards and 'Fender' written on the front is more valuable to the Fender brand than if it had a name only recognisable to bassists.

I've got two Genz amps and in a way I wish they could carry on with their innovation. Yes, I doubt now they will be able to improve on the latest .2 amps and the current Streamliners, so its nice to have the latest and greatest, but I seriously doubt Fender will keep the same level of quality and innovation.

However, I think two of the Genz chaps now work with Fender, which can only be a good thing!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1379323580' post='2211151']
....the GB brand holds a lot more credibility than that of Fender as an innovative, forward thinking amp maker. Why not use that to their advantage?....
[/quote]

Companies make bad decisions in tough times, and CBS nearly killed the golden goose in good times, but I would guess that shutting down Genz has something to do with Fender currently trying to float on the NY Stock Exchange.

Maybe this is just a clumsy attempt to reduce overheads prior to that.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1379324404' post='2211168']
At a guess? An amp with Genz Benz innards and 'Fender' written on the front is more valuable to the Fender brand than if it had a name only recognisable to bassists.
[/quote]

Very true. Fender are only really known for guitar amplification. Their bass amps don't get much press. The TV range was great in a retro way and, although originally meant to be fitted with neo speakers, ended up too large and cumbersome once fitted with ferrite ones (as I found out after I bought one and had to hump it up 3 flights of stairs at the end of every gig).

Hopefully if Fender incorporate GB know-how in their own range, people will start thinking of Fender bass amps in the same high regard as they do Fender guitar amps.

After a little digging, the floatation is to raise cash to pay off Fender's current debts of $246m.

Who knows what management decisions brought them to this state or what crazy things they'll do trying to get out of it!

Buy your US Fenders now, while you can!!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1379258591' post='2210436']
Mark at Bass Direct just confirmed it on Facebook. SWR and Hamer basses going too.
[/quote]
I'm not too bothered about Hamer (although I know some folks will be), but killing SWR and Genz? BA$TARDS. :angry:
I adore my Shuttle 6, and I've loved all the SWR gear I've ever had too.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1379324404' post='2211168']
[/quote]

Thats assuming they use whatever Genz were good at in their 'new' boxes.
They watered down SWR to a point where they weren't viable...OR much good, compared to their once emimnent position so I can see them just quietly
doing the same with GB... and giving the impression they are taking on new tech...
They have their manufacturing model and if GB doesn't fit in it....then that is one less in the market.
As BFM says...wouldn't be the first time... or the 100th :lol:

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1379350937' post='2211588']
I'm guessing the warranty that is on a GB product will remain ?
[/quote]

Yes Fender UK will honour warranties that are still valid, and are also the ones who deal with fixes etc, although I will not recommend them to anyone. I blew a streamliner 900 and it took around 4 months to slot in a new power board when all they had to do was replace the electrolyte capacitors and some other burned out components.

I used real electronics in Sheffield for my Markbass head and explained my worries for time after dealing with fender, they replaced the broken components and had it shipped back to me in less than a week.

Anyway, I've been wanting to try the fender rumble heads to see what they are like as they seem similar in size to the shuttles. If Fender did end up make heads that were just as good as the shuttle I would have no problem buying one.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1379352888' post='2211638']

Yes Fender UK will honour warranties that are still valid, and are also the ones who deal with fixes etc, although I will not recommend them to anyone. I blew a streamliner 900 and it took around 4 months to slot in a new power board when all they had to do was replace the electrolyte capacitors and some other burned out components.

I used real electronics in Sheffield for my Markbass head and explained my worries for time after dealing with fender, they replaced the broken components and had it shipped back to me in less than a week.

Anyway, I've been wanting to try the fender rumble heads to see what they are like as they seem similar in size to the shuttles. If Fender did end up make heads that were just as good as the shuttle I would have no problem buying one.
[/quote]

I can understand the frustration but how did you blow it up?!?!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1379334088' post='2211321']
After a little digging, the floatation is to raise cash to pay off Fender's current debts of $246m.

Who knows what management decisions brought them to this state or what crazy things they'll do trying to get out of it!

Buy your US Fenders now, while you can!!
[/quote]

Or wait for the fire sale? :ph34r:

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1379358322' post='2211767']

I can understand the frustration but how did you blow it up?!?!
[/quote]

I got it as import due it being about 200 pounds cheaper, but neglected to change the voltage selector when turning it on, lots of fire, lots of smoke, then dirty wet patches everywhere.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1379412854' post='2212264']
I got it as import due it being about 200 pounds cheaper, but neglected to change the voltage selector when turning it on, lots of fire, lots of smoke, then dirty wet patches everywhere.
[/quote]

I don't want to sound mean, but a ) you didn't buy it in the UK and b ) it was your own fault.

Maybe they should have been quicker, but... y'know...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1379412980' post='2212267']
I don't want to sound mean, but a ) you didn't buy it in the UK and b ) it was your own fault.

[/quote]

I hate to also sound a little harsh...but this seems like you wanted to save money and then made a mistake...(which happens).

It's good that they repaired it for you...they could have refused to touch it.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1379412980' post='2212267']

[/quote]

Wait what?.

Regardless of what happened or why. My point was that they took best part or 4 monthsto replace a power amp section and simply drop it in.
And as a contrast I gave an example of a similar head breaking and taking next to no time at all to fix it and get it back to me.

However, it's not like a brought a region specific product and expected it to work fine in the UK, due to my own fault I broke it, that wasn't in dispute, their lack of speed was. I feel I could of rang genz up myself and ordered the poweranp section and installed it myself, probably should have taken a month at best.

How or why they would refuse to fix it I don't know. Seems a but silly that.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1379445706' post='2212875']
How or why they would refuse to fix it I don't know. Seems a but silly that.
[/quote]

They could easily have said that it's not fixable under warranty, as the damage was your fault. The fix was effectively a freebie, so you can't really complain about how long it took.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1379445920' post='2212876']

They could easily have said that it's not fixable under warranty, as the damage was your fault. The fix was effectively a freebie, so you can't really complain about how long it took.
[/quote]

Now your making stuff up.
The unit wasn't fixed under warranty, I had to pay for the parts and the labour. Same as anyone else whose unit is no longer under the warranty period.