Why become a member? ×

Essential pedals. Your opinions please

sprocketflup

So for all these years Ive used a multi effects unit, ironically enough usually only having one or maybe 2 patches programmed in that I actually use. I think the main reason for these was always the built in tuners and volume pedals so I had an easily selectable mute.

But now Im getting the idea that I might like to junk that idea, get a pedal tuner and go the route of separate pedals. Ive just joined a funky disco function band so will be needing that kind of sound, what would you recommend to a pedal beginner like me?

Apologies if this has been discussed a million times before

have a look in the effects forum, I'm sure a veeery similar thread appeared not too long ago.

someone will soon chip in with 'no pedals are essential" and they're right, depending on what you're playing, but if you're in a funky disco band, I'd imagine a filter and an octave pedal would give you some nice options :)

Yeah, for me, the most important would be some sort of preamp/overdrive to add a little bit of dirt. Even better if it has a DI out for those gigs where you're maybe not gonna be using your own rig so you always have the option of just going straight to the desk.

Having said that my EQ pedal has helped me out greatly a number of times.

Everyone is different though and if I played in a band that had a different sound or was a different genre, my pedal needs would no doubt change dramatically.

Multi-FX units are a great place to start though so you should play about with all of the different types of sounds on there to figure out what's going to work in your particular band setting and then maybe start looking into individual pedals which give you a similar/better sound.

Paul

For a disco functions band... Disco uses a pretty clean, thumpy tone, so a compressor is definitely a solid starting point. You may also want an envelope filter.... I use an MXR BEF, it's a little dark sounding but I like it. An EQ pedal might be useful as well. That would be my list of disco 'essentials'. Maybe an auto-Wah if you want to get a little playful.

I just bought myself a Korg Pitchblack Poly tuner pedal. It arrived today so not plugged it in yet but a pedal tuner is whaaaay easier than the plug in one I got free with my bass guitar when I bought it.

I have also been reliably informed that a compressor is a must have to iron out any unintentional variations in volume.
The guy also said some kind of envelope filter but I forgot what type or what it actually does! :(

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1378816802' post='2204969']
What do these actually do? Not being sarcastic, I really don't know!
[/quote]

aside from basic compression they sort of colour and enhance the tone rather nicely - if you have a nice passive bass and wonder what it would sound like with active EQ on board then just put it through one of these and you will get a fairly good idea [url="http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=154&ParentId=261"]soundcheck here[/url] and a few up on [url="http://youtu.be/ChAz3UL0-_Q"]youtube[/url] also

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1378818346' post='2205023']
aside from basic compression they sort of colour and enhance the tone rather nicely - if you have a nice passive bass and wonder what it would sound like with active EQ on board then just put it through one of these and you will get a fairly good idea [url="http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=154&ParentId=261"]soundcheck here[/url] and a few up on [url="http://youtu.be/ChAz3UL0-_Q"]youtube[/url] also
[/quote]

Very interesting Mr Bond...

I never gig without my Hartke BassAttack pedal but since I leave it on permanently and hardly ever fiddle with the settings I'm not sure it really qualifies as an effect. It could be used as a subtle overdrive I guess if it was used intermittently. I quite like a clean tone these days though and let the quality of the instrument itself and the rig that it's being played through shine through. I also have a tuner which acts as a mute and the compression is covered by the one built into the amp.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1378818765' post='2205031']
Totally disagree Steve. While the enhance circuit does add a lot of very high end, which you wouldn't necessarily get from a passive bass, it's very synthetic high end and not desirable at all IMO.

As a limiter it's a great pedal, just keep the enhance control turned off!
[/quote]

i keep the enhance down under 50% - am very keen to try the hartke pedal too hopefully somebody may have one at the SE bass bash to tempt me away from the LMB-3 so i can flog it to Cosmo :lol:

You can have quite a bit of cheap fun with a Digitech Bass Synth Wah.

May not be the master of any of it's trades but if you only want a bit of 'difference' every now and then it's good. I flick between the settings for little bits on certain songs, the octave tracks ok, the filter/wah sound is good enough for the average punter to think "that sounds funky" and even a couple of the synth patches get used for a bit of a fuzzy drone on some intros for me.

Probably not essential but a useful toy. Even my drummer likes it!