Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street - you've changed!

ras52

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1380444624' post='2225184']

If you take my example of String ranges; The Gallery (and loads of others, including on-line) stocks seven brands (or more); which includes a long established British brand: Rotosound), compared to Wunjo's one.
[/quote] Funny that, the guy in The Gallery snorted with derision when I told him I used Rotosound...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1380463142' post='2225598']
Funny that, the guy in The Gallery snorted with derision when I told him I used Rotosound...
[/quote] That sounds highly unlikely. They showed considerable enthusiasm about my crappy old Hondo bass when I took it to them, despite it probably being worth many times less than any of the basses they have for sale.

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1380398736' post='2224848']

[indent=1][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Strings: Ernie Ball - and that's it!! great if you like them..[/font][/indent]

[/quote]

When I visited Wunjo a couple of weeks ago, they had every brand of string I'd ever heard of in stock - I can remember seeing Ernie Ball, Rotosound, DR, La Bella & D'Addario. Had rounds and flats for all brands too.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1380474689' post='2225854']
That sounds highly unlikely. They showed considerable enthusiasm about my crappy old Hondo bass when I took it to them, despite it probably being worth many times less than any of the basses they have for sale.
[/quote]
I'm not lying, I have no personal vendetta against the shop. I'm just reporting my experiences of the place - and they have all been bad. I had an issue with a bass I had purchased from them a few days earlier (weak A string output). The guy asked me what amp I used - Ashdown - and he smirked and said "I think there's your answer". He then asked me which strings I used - Rotosound - and he responded in exactly the same way.

Now the mob mentality of this forum. As soon as you go against a topic and offer a different alternative opinion, X amount of people make every effort to destroy what you said.

I guess Simon and I and some others should have said "go to wunjo and don't go to Gallery"... lol

what ever.... and yes every one is ok to have an opinion

Edited by pierreganseman

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1380532235' post='2226526']
Now the mob mentality of this forum. As soon as you go against a topic and offer a different alternative opinion, X amount of people make every effort to destroy what you said.

I guess Simon and I and some others should have said "go to wunjo and don't go to Gallery"... lol

what ever.... and yes every one is ok to have an opinion
[/quote]

I simply and light-heartedly pointed out a contradiction in your original statement. Tbh, I as well as others, couldn't really care less who goes where as long as where people go suits [b]their[/b] needs. I said where I like, others have said where they like.

I think it's great if people like the Gallery. I know a lot of friends who swear by it. I prefer Wunjo's though. No big deal... Different strokes for different folks..

This is supposed to be a thread about Denmark Street and subsequently Wunjos growing presence there, not some kind of pathetic turf war.

/rant :)

Edited by jamesbass116

Not sure why it is that it has to be some war. I can't comment about the gallery as I went there and it appeared to be closed with something about ringing, so I didn't go in, so I can't comment on what they were like (which is a shame as I had walked there the long way!).
Wunjo were very good to me so I would be most likely to go back there again if I was in the area (area being london) and obviously unlikely to go back to the gallery.

To me wunjo stood out not particularly because they were friendly, but because they were friendly and a music shop, a type of shop I would normally associate with pretentious indifference.

But if anyone is happy in another shop it makes sense going back there (I would say I was also very happy with jaywalk guitars in street the other day, but I guess that is probably less relevant!)

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1380398736' post='2224848']
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Strings: Ernie Ball - and that's it!! great if you like them..[/font]
[/quote]

Not true, Simon. I was there last week, I thought they had a good range of strings. I bought a set of La Bella medium scale flats. A set that the usual internet suppliers did not have, and at a very competitive price.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1381134170' post='2234610']
Not true, Simon. I was there last week, I thought they had a good range of strings. I bought a set of La Bella medium scale flats. A set that the usual internet suppliers did not have, and at a very competitive price.
[/quote]

Well done. Good for you! :)

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1380444624' post='2225184']
Yes. Chalk & Cheese, and you're entitled to your opinion. As an established Bassist - I need a bit more than a store shifting another box of $ender or Gi$5on every hour can provide. Of course, they can sell what they want. I'm looking for a store which has suppliers competing against each other to lower prices.[/quote]

Funny, because a vast number of established (let's go one further, even; professional) bass players manage just fine with Fenders. :blink: If their stock (which, by the way, seems to extend much further than just Fender) happens not to encompass the stuff you [i]want [/i](emphasis on want, rather than need) then that's absolutely fine, but the notion that an army of five-figure-sum coffee-table boutique basses (look, I can hyperbolise too) is a prerequisite of suitably catering to "established" bass players is entirely absurd.

You flippin London players, think yourself lucky and stop moaning! You're almost as bad about the tube too (it works, mostly, and you've got one, now shut up)!!

Come down to Devon/Somerset and re-assess. You'd need very few fingers to count the number of music shops with a proper bass department, and very few, including some of [i]them [/i]don't stock 5 string basses or anything more adventurous than a couple of Squiers (nothing wrong with them, have a jazz myself as a spare) for choice.....

PS. I'll mention no names for fear of starting another war!

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1381145333' post='2234852']
Funny, because a vast number of established (let's go one further, even; professional) bass players manage just fine with Fenders. :blink: If their stock (which, by the way, seems to extend much further than just Fender) happens not to encompass the stuff you [i]want [/i](emphasis on want, rather than need) then that's absolutely fine, but the notion that an army of five-figure-sum coffee-table boutique basses (look, I can hyperbolise too) is a prerequisite of suitably catering to "established" bass players is entirely absurd.
[/quote]

......................... :rolleyes: the point, In my own very slightly naive way, I was trying to make.. is that when I checked on the store's website - based in Denmark Street - (about 20-minutes from my workplace) they were only stocking one brand of string, 'Ernie Ball'.. they may have changed this now? I have come to understand that they sell other brands in the actual shop. I don't [i]care[/i] much any more really. They appeared only to be stocking one or two brands of amp etc.. The pedal range is quite good. As before, [b]I don't care[/b]..

P.s What's wrong with owning "five-figure-sum coffee-table boutique basses"? I don't need to hyperbole - I think all three of mine, which were hand-built by a British luthier, sound great! My other one, was built in America, in case anyone think's I'm anti-American, by Alembic. That's my opinion...................

Edited by SimonEdward

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was up with my girls in London at the weekend (been to see Alter Bridge and Shinedown on Friday night at Wembley). We hit pretty much every guitar shop in Denmark Street (did miss out one that said it was for vintage instruments only) and found them all to be very friendly and talkative. Macaris even sent me down to their Charing Cross shop to try an Epiphone Thunderbird.
Pity I live 3 hours by train away really (and being a country bumpkin, the mass of people get to me within a day or two lol).

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1381145333' post='2234852']

[/quote]
Nicely said.

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1381152460' post='2234995']

Come down to Devon/Somerset and re-assess. You'd need very few fingers to count the number of music shops with a proper bass department...

[/quote]

Am I the only one itching to make a joke about the west country/number of fingers? ;)

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1382428672' post='2251893']
Nicely said.
[/quote]

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]2004 Fender Precision Std, black, with Jazz neck/black blocks and binding[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]2012 Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Bass, Olympic White[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]2013 FrankenFender PJ, black, r/w, MIM P neck[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]2012 Fender Kingman SCE Acoustic Bass Guitar, Natural[/size][/font][/color]

Each to their own my friend.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]1986 Jaydee Series II, Active, Volcano Red with LEDs[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]1987 Jaydee GA24 fretless, Active, Pearl White with binding[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]2002 Jaydee GA24 custom, Active, Transluscent Black with binding[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=3]1998 Alembic Mark King Series Standard signature[/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1378830577' post='2205274']
Ah, Andy's... I wince at the mention of their name. Prior to my mega bass-sabbatical, I sold a pair of basses through them and had to go to court to get them to cough up the cash when they were sold. Using them was a mistake, but not as big a mistake (and pretty much my biggest regret in life) as selling the basses in the first place: a pair of Wals (fretted and fretless). :facepalm:
[/quote]
ouch! What was the name of Rod Argent's shop on Denmark Steet? it stocked Wal's back in the early 80's.