Why become a member? ×

I wonder why there's not much interest in this Roadworn Jazz ?

gjones

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1378731387' post='2203803']
Unfortunatly the seller sent me a message stating he forgot to put a buy it now price on it, and is no longer for sale.
My guess someone has offered him a lot more than what it finished on, or he wanted more than what it went for.

Something doesn't smell quiet right so I'll be contacting eBay with this.
[/quote]

That stinks.

[quote name='topo morto' timestamp='1378737565' post='2203944']
Wonder if there could be a win/win available offering a little more and going easy on him?
[/quote]

Maybe, but as some one said above, it ended as it ended. The reason it didn't go for very much was the fact he was reluctant to post it abd his shoddy camera work and odd description.

If it was a roadworn series bass, I would have lost out in the end, especially as I was willing to pay more.

But not now he has tried to be sly about it.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1378731387' post='2203803']
It was me boys and girls. I too assumed it was a RW, from the tuners and checking. Either way I was after a jazz for a project or backup anyway.

Unfortunatly the seller sent me a message stating he forgot to put a buy it now price on it, and is no longer for sale.
My guess someone has offered him a lot more than what it finished on, or he wanted more than what it went for.

Something doesn't smell quiet right so I'll be contacting eBay with this.
[/quote]
Have you contacted ebay yet?

Did you actually place the final winning bid or did he end the listing early?

If you 'won' the auction then you are within your rights to pay via paypal and demand he sell it (99% certain he won't let you have it), if he doesn't complete the deal then you get a full refund and can neg him. However, if you don't pay I don't think you can leave negative feedback.

Been there, done that. You wait for 3 or 7 days (it does say which) then you report him as a non selling seller. Its easier if you had already paid him.
You can also give him bad feedback (I would). I got something that was a bit of a bargain and the person selling decided they didn't want to sell it for that which I guess is what has happened here.

Which I think eBay should crack down on more, I have sold things less than I wanted, as I consider it a contract.

Contacted eBay through all means I can.

I'm not sure if he ended it early as it was a few hours after I last looked at it and it was due to end before I finished work.
Anyway I got a message from eBay saying I won and needed to pay etc although no point since he won't sell it me anyway.

I'm bothered but not that bothered.

I've ended stuff early, but not sure how he has done it. As when I have no one has been a winner, maybe because it had less than 24 hours to the end time, which I believe eBay put on to stop people doing exactly this.

If I pay for it, which I still can. Will he not loose out, ebay fees and PayPal fees to pay along with having to give me back the full amount?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1378753274' post='2204290']
Contacted eBay through all means I can.

I'm not sure if he ended it early as it was a few hours after I last looked at it and it was due to end before I finished work.
Anyway I got a message from eBay saying I won and needed to pay etc although no point since he won't sell it me anyway.

I'm bothered but not that bothered.

I've ended stuff early, but not sure how he has done it. As when I have no one has been a winner, maybe because it had less than 24 hours to the end time, which I believe eBay put on to stop people doing exactly this.

If I pay for it, which I still can. Will he not loose out, ebay fees and PayPal fees to pay along with having to give me back the full amount?
[/quote]

It sounds like it went to the end of the auction, otherwise ebay wouldn't have sent you an invoice.
They would have told you your bid was cancelled if he ended the auction early.

If you pay and he refunds you, his fees will be refunded too.

I would advise you to contact him and remind him he has sold it to you, but you understand his mistake and ask what his buy it now price is.
Friendly negotiation may still lead to an amicable outcome.

If he did end the auction early then you have no claim of ownership and ebay should not have sent an invoice.
Looking at the listing page, it seems the auction was not ended early and the winning bidder got it for £230.

Edited by redstriper

You can end early if you sell to the highest bidder... which sounds like he has done but with no intention of going through with it. He patently couldn't end the listing in the last 12 hrs as it had bids on, so he has likely assumed that would be easiest but saying that he could have ended it because it was no longer available. Strange one that. However, if you have an invoice and pay officially through paypal he will be charged the ebay fees; he won't sell you it so you will get a refund and he won't have to pay the paypal fees.

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1378755435' post='2204355']
I always thought you couldn't cancel an auction in the last 12 hrs. If the auction has less than 12 hrs it can't be cancelled/withdrawn?.
[/quote]

That is correct.
[url="http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/end_early.html"]http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/end_early.html[/url]

Had a phone call today as eBay hate privacy laws and give out your number Willy nilly.

Anyway, seller seemed anxious about the whole thing and claimed he was selling it for a friend, who came by and took it back. (in sure that's against eBay regs Sewell) Anyway, a shame I didn't get it as it was a cracking price for a bass I've wanted or a while but greed is king these days and people want more than what they deserve.

Im not going to bother myself with this any further, on to the next one.

They seem to be legal contracts that FEEBay absolve most responsiblilty on.
I guess the way to push the contract would be through the small claims court.
I also guess most people CBA (can't be arsed).
bloody spelling again :angry:

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1378807452' post='2204777']
Had a phone call today as eBay hate privacy laws and give out your number Willy nilly.

Anyway, seller seemed anxious about the whole thing and claimed he was selling it for a friend, who came by and took it back. (in sure that's against eBay regs Sewell) Anyway, a shame I didn't get it as it was a cracking price for a bass I've wanted or a while but greed is king these days and people want more than what they deserve.

Im not going to bother myself with this any further, on to the next one.
[/quote]

I think you did the right thing. Just have to put it down to experience I suppose.

The same thing happened last night with something I was watching. An auction for a P Bass Body and neck was pulled with about 15 mins to go. The price was still low and the seller obviously panicked. Again this wasn't an ebay newbie, they had a feedback score of over 400.

This really defeats the purpose of ebay for me.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1379226455' post='2209932']
This really defeats the purpose of eBay for me.
[/quote]

Me too - if you were at a real auction and an item sold for a low price with no reserve and the auctioneer told you it had been pulled by the seller because it was going too cheap, there would be a riot and quite right too!

So eBay isn't a true 'auction' site in the proper meaning of the word - it's basically just classified ads. What a load of balls. :mellow:

As mentioned above, these auctions aren't actually 'cancelled' as such but are stopped because the seller claims the item is no longer available (stolen, destroyed by fire or other BS), or in Prime Bass' case sold to the highest bidder. That last one seems to be a particularly pointless way of going about things, as the end result is the same as refusing to sell it at the auction's end.