Why become a member? ×

Top Tips

Junkyard Rocket

If you're ever doing a support gig double check what will be provided!

Drummers especially so..

in regards to bass a lot of the time there will be a rig for you but please check what it is... I've had anything from behringer kickbacks (absolutely sh*te) to ampeg svt stacks (yay) and everything inbetween!

[quote name='Junkyard Rocket' timestamp='1378502779' post='2201352']
Martin Petersen once told me that its best not to and you shouldn't need to cut strings to length. But what does he know! I bet he's not tried string an ashbory recently.
[/quote]

I always do, because if you don't then on a 2 + 2 (or similar) head layout you get a stupid amount of string round your G string spigot, which pushes the string to the top or bottom of the spigot, and it just looks horrible. Also, I've read here that if you have too much round the spigot then it won't hold tune so well.
I seem to remember reading on a manufacturer's web site somewhere (Fender I think), that you should cut the strings so that they go beyond the spigot by about 3 inches. I'v always done that and it works for me.

Of course if you one of these who leaves 6 inches of string flailing in the air then it's not a problem.

One problem with cutting them in advance is, of course, that if you have 2+2 and in-line style basses (or string through/not string through bridges) then you can't change your mind as to which bass to put them on.

Having not been fired for nearly 25yrs, my advice is simple... Be on time, learn songs you've been asked to learn, buy the odd drink, have money for rehearsal & know your role. You'll get more bookings as a reliable nice guy who plays OK / well compared to a great player who is a nightmare to work with.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1378542138' post='2201552']
I always take a towel and liquid soap in my bag - so I can wash my hands prior to going on stage.
It's incredible how grubby your hands get setting up your equipment.
[/quote]

This is actually a genuinely useful tip. :)
A small bottle of anti-bacterial hand gel will do a passable job if you're pushed for time/facillities.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1378565225' post='2201897']
An old-school bristle shaving brush is the perfect tool for removing the dust and crud that gathers around the pick-ups, bridge, and under the strings on the headstock.
[/quote]

Thanks for this. I've been having trouble with crud under the bridge lately. :mellow: