Why become a member? ×

Being let down by other bands.

Marvin

I have a gig...well, I think I do...tomorrow night. It's the first time my new covers band play live. It's only a small support slot, we're first on.

Initially there were four bands including us. Then at the beginning of the week the headline act pulled out. Then at about 4 this afternoon the next band pulled out.

It's put the whole night in question. We were just there as an add on really, initially we weren't even supposed to be playing.

But all that aside it's the sort of don't give a crap about others some people have that gripes. Anyone else been stuffed by other bands? :)

Good evening, Marvin...

Always look on the bright side of life ([i]Hmmm... There's a song in there, somewhere[/i]...). Only one more band to pull out and you'll be the headline act, star of the show..!
Seriously: it depends on the reasons for the cancelling, really (motorway accident, group contracted bubonic plague, babysitter couldn't be found... Who knows..?). Sometimes a last-minute stand-in band can fill the gap.
Of course, if the venue has a bad reputation and a lousy night for all is assured, maybe you should be re-thinking your participation, too..?
Hope it turns out well, just the same. Post mortem here, please..?

Cheers.

Unfortunately we've only got about 30mins of material. :)

It's our drummer I feel sorry for. He organised it and it was his other band that were supposed to headline ( and his mates were in the other band that pulled out)...so it's him who's been mucked about by people he should have been able to trust.

If you have only a small support slot and the main act has pulled out, what are you selling?
You need to discuss this with the other band about how you both propose to cover the evening.

If you can't cover the time slots then you have to cancel... IMO

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1377960095' post='2194124']
But why..? I don't understand it. :)
[/quote]

Well, in recent example we were trying to get some dates together with BC's very own Ou7shined - so you get all that effort and energy from a mate and his bandmates, and then... nothing from your own. I feel personally accountable for them, though perhaps I shouldn't.

Some of them can't find time to rehearse; but manage to find time to post about how bad their heads are the morning after on Facebook. We have one who likes to pretend that he's working on some very important business - yet he's talking to me and the guitarist, who both work more senior jobs and are equally as busy, we're just sans pretension.

Was that going in the right direction?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1377960352' post='2194128']
...you get all that effort and energy from a mate and his bandmates, and then... nothing from your own.... ...Some of them can't find time to rehearse but manage to find time to post about how bad their heads are the morning after on Facebook... ...was that going in the right direction?
[/quote]

Yes, thanks. So it's part of the 'wanting to be in a band yet not wanting to put the time and effort in and being content to drift along doing as little as possible' syndrome. I know that one! :mellow:

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1377942701' post='2193808']
Annoying, are there good reasons for the others pulling out? I know most people - well most I know anyway - work on a 'show must go on basis' but sometimes that's just not possible.
[/quote]

This.

We're playing at 2 music festivals this weekend, a total of 4 gigs. We do three-part harmony throughout, with 2 lead vocalists and unfortunately one of our lead singers has come down with the most horrendous cold; the other singer is starting to get it too and I'm following close behind. In addition our mandolin player, who suffers from a degenerative nerve condition anyway, currently has a foot infection and is in agony. We soldiered on last night with a 50% - at best - performance but we played this dinner and, quite frankly, the singer could barely sing a note and the mandolin player barely made it through the half hour set. We were awful.

We've got another set tonight which it looks like we're going to have to stumble through but tomorrow (a 5hr drive to a crowd that has never seen us before) is just looking like it'll do us more harm than good, both health and profile-wise. Sometimes the show can go on, but at too much cost.

Edited by 4000

Our guitarist stepped in to do a solo set at the beginning, we did our set and the other remaining band fulfilled the rest of the night. Audience were happy and we got paid.

I'd hope to think my bands wouldn't be as thoughtless as to leave others in the lurch.

And thanks to ya all.

EDIT: Forgot to add, it's the first time I used the Ampeg I bought from Rasta on here at a gig...sounded truly fantastic, especially with the GK head I bought from DaveVader :)

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1378028122' post='2194747']
Our guitarist stepped in to do a solo set at the beginning, we did our set and the other remaining band fulfilled the rest of the night. Audience were happy and we got paid.[/quote]

Excellent, glad the show went on.

Yeah I don't understand the thinking either. Last band I was in had 2 of us working either long days or odd hrs and the guitarist was unemployed due to "back issues" yet he was always turning up at rehearsals not knowing solos etc yet he was the one with most time on his hands. Think it boils down to the fact he wanted to be a rock star without the effort. Some people just think the world owes them a living.

Great to see the gig went well and you and the other band pulled thru.
Very well done mate.
Dave