Why become a member? ×

I love my band

Truckstop

Just wanted to say that I think my band is awesome.

We gig 2 or 3 times a week and rarely rehearse. We all decided on 10 new numbers to work on over the last two weeks in preparation for a rehearsal tonight. We've been playing the same set for the last 3 months so decided to have a shake up. We're also looking to drop some of the more bluesy numbers in favour of rock n roll and rockabilly type stuff.

Anyway, we ran through each song twice and then we all went home. Love it. Everyone came fully prepared and ready to go. We figured out intros and outros and that's it; job done!

Never before have I worked with a bunch of guys so professional and eager to work.

Anyone else in the same place right now? Or anyone currently living in a nightmare with their bands?

Alex

Yes I'm there too. Played in bands for years but now in a mod/new wave covers band and its first time I've played with serious musicians. I think it helps that we are only a 3 piece so less conflict and we all love playing.
Can't help feeling its also because we are all past 40 and rock star egos have long since disappeared.

I love my bands too.

I'm in a good place right now. Managed to get a 6 piece band together (The Inevitable Teaspoons) with no egos who keep in touch, turn up when they're supposed to, actually work on stuff when they say "I'll work on that", aren't afraid to say "can we run through that song again?" get involved, make suggestions, all help carry big stuff and are good guys who I get along with. Songs are coming together and I think it's sounding ace. Next weekend we've got our first gig since our singer John joined us and I'm really looking forward to it.

My other band (FaR) is doing fine also in this respect. It's a different dynamic because it's a creative duo (who sometimes play acoustic shows themselves) with a rhythm section tacked on so I guess I get to take a relatively further back seat on this one but it's been going great since the start of the year, played on average twice a month and one festival. Great players who are also nice people, I think I've been very lucky this year. Good times!

Mind you, last year was the worst I've had for scheming, backstabbing, conniving, childish, passive/aggressive nonsense, so maybe it's just evening itself out.

I'm not there yet, but working on it.
One of the guitarists only learns the song at rehearsal. Never spends any time at home with his guitar (so a stereotypical guitard, I suppose) & despite wanting to play funk/soul/jazz, can't break out the rock mold. :(

But we're working on it & hopefully either he'll change his musicianship or musicianship shall change him. :yarr:

Great thread - lovely to read some happy stuff :)

I'm not really there with my band(s) yet tbh. But I do find that rehearsals really cheer me up. If I turn up feeling a bit stressed and not looking forward to it at all I usually cheer up in no time. It's just so great to be able to hear my bass really loud. And also gives me the opportunity to dance about the studio a bit and try a few moves that I wouldn't dare try live (yet).

Yes Im there with my band loads of gigs, and more gigs coming in,the other guys are total pro musos,just done thirty something gigs and I have still not had a rehearsal,learnt the set from Youtube in a day,yes there have been moments,but the guys are totally there for me,helping all the way,real happy at the moment. :D :D :D

We vary. Nobody practices much, I don't like a lot of the songs, and we gig about every 15 months. But we're mostly ego-free, everyone is happy to try stuff again if it didn't work last time (or even if it was superb :), nobody's down on anyone else. I like it; it's the best thing I do most weeks.

But the bastards are all on holiday... :angry:

My lot are, after an extended divorce, about to shed our singer.
He's been such a right pain in the arse slow witted lying arse hole over the last couple of months that we decided to go with a female singer and change our tack.
Tonight is our last gig in a run of 5 over the last month.
We don't feel bad, we know he's already got another band up with a website etc (the website uses all our blurb and photos and pretends they did the gigs) : ),and the lack of gigs for the next 8 weeks is because he's been lying to us about agency gigs coming in and diverting them to another band.(mortal sin).
He hasn't told us this, we just found out by chance..
Ok, it's usually a depressing frantic time losing your singer,but were organised, have rent in the bank, have an enthusiastic new singer with a far better range of tone and skill, and are all prepared to work hard to get it back on the road.
We can also jettison his appalling core of must do songs inc stones, van Morrison, cockney rebel that we all hated doing for the last year.
So all is good at Shabby Road Studios.
I wondering how I'll feel playing some of those songs for the hovers last time ever?
; )

ps I'm very happy for those of you with smooth running fun and lucrative bands, very much worth the hard work.