Why become a member? ×

Mansun...any thoughts?

MB1

MB1.
Think there was a lot of people that saw there bum with Six (especially the press)
Because they were expecting Attack pt 2.
Six wasn't anything anyone expected
But i still feel it is a epic outing.
LIttle Kix (the final album) is very much..."we've had your money now lets have you out!"(bastard record company policy of the time)
"Electric Man" and Finally "Goodbye" proving them totally wrong!
Great Live band Mr Draper(I was there)...the balls in your court!

One of my favourite bands ever, I've got pretty much everything they ever released.

Absolutely brilliant live band too.

Being a big fan of "Prog rock nonsense" I thought "Six" was a superb album (though to be honest it's not very prog at all).

Mansun; wow, now there's a band I've not thought about in years. I was never a massive fan, I was starting to move away from the "indie" scene by that point, but I did like them.

Saw them a few times, although the only time I remember was when they supported shed seven at rock city, and they always put on a good show.

Might have to spend the day cd shopping now. The wife'll love that!

Yep - Attack of the Grey Lantern still stands up as a really inspired collection of songs - catchy melodies, great arrangements and some fantastic guitar playing. Six never really did it for me, but thanks to this thread I'll go back and listen to it again and see if time has altered my opinion.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1376154582' post='2170352']
Six was a good album too. Didn't think there was anything that i'd consider prog on it!
[/quote]

It was more to do with the fact that a lot of the songs segued into each other & there was that "Intermission" section with the Tom Baker spoken word thing.
Anything that isn't a three minute verse-chorus-verse pop song tends to have the "Prog" accusation thrown at it mainly due to the laziness & lack of imagination inherent in most popular music journalists.

Ah! Mansun. First proper band I saw live back in'98(The year they won Melody Maker's Best Live Band.)!

Loved "Attack Of The Grey Lantern". "Six" wasn't as good, but still had a number of blinders on it("Shotgun", "Being A Girl", "Legacy", "Negative"). Even "Little Kix"-which was awful-had good tunes on it(Namely "Fool" & "Soundtrack for Two Lovers".).

Also, Stove only started playing bass when he joined the band, but he was a pretty solid & tasteful player.

I think the problem I had with Six was that after the near pop perfection of Attack Of The Grey Lantern, just about anything else was going to be something of a disappointment. I a way I'm glad they did an album that I really didn't like but was very different rather than more of the same but not so good.

I used to be mates with one of their school teachers in Chester. He REALLY liked them. They were not my style of music really but very good at what they did, especially considering how young they were writing such material.
Where are they now I wonder?