Why become a member? ×

How do you assess your level?

thebrig

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1376054644' post='2169093']
Exactly my point.

Just because someone has not sat down and formally studied from books doesn't mean you don't know theory.

A five year old child understands the 'theory' or 'rules' (if you like) of English. They've never read a book but they know the alphabet and what words sound like and mean.

Theory isn't rules to be followed, it came after the music to explain why what you play works and to enable you to communicate to other musicians more simply. It's not there to tell you what to play.
[/quote]

Good points.
Victor Wooten expands on this (and other ideas) in an entertaining way in his book 'The Music Lesson'.
You're right about so called music 'rules'. They were written after the fact, and perhaps should be called music 'explanations'.
Anyway....I digress. (that will probably be written on my tombstone)

I guess I am better than I expected I would be when I started playing, but I am not as good as I think I should be considering how long I have been playing especially when some young whipper snapper barely out of nappies post a video on here that I wouldn't be able to repeat if there was 4 of me trying to play it!

I look down on him but I look up to him....I know my place!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1376055581' post='2169110']
As I suggested earlier, there's more to it than being an eyeball-melting slapper. :-)
[/quote]

Yep...party tricks don't get gigs unless the rest of your game is up there as well.
If I had to guess, I'd say a fair few spend so much more time playing slap than they ever get to do on a gig...

I think BRX hit the nail on the head. If you can play the music you need to play, then you are good enough. Sure, it`s always nice to feel as if you are improving as a player but I wouldn`t get hung up about it.

And remember, Pino can`t read music.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1376071755' post='2169444']
I've got a dead easy way of assessing my ability level.

I don't bother worrying about it and just let other musicians decide what bracket I fit in. :)
[/quote]

Exactly. It's like a ladder. You just climb up it. Audition for a few bands. Don't take the first one you're offered unless you think it's right for you.

It is however, chicken and egg. You have to be brave and honest.

If you've never played in a band or never done a gig then regardless of how good your bedroom chops are you will simply be thrown to the lions at your first audition. And if you make it to a rehearsal you'll get eaten alive.

If you've played in bands then you should know as soon as you walk in the audition what you're dealing with.

I don`t assess my level - I know what I can play, can`t play, and have no interest in playing. I can read music but it would take me a while now as tab is easier. I know a few scales by name, can probably play a lot more but am unaware of them. In terms of techniques, again, I can probably do a fair few, but don`t know the name of them.

But for the music I play, I can do it well enough, and drummers seem to be happy enough with my playing which I think is one of the main things.

I classify myself as a solid player.

I have not been "taught" musical theory, but was amazed at how much I've absorbed through experience. It was enough to be able to hold my own in a conversation with a guitarist who'd been to music college.

What ever band I've been in I've been able to work well with the drummer and provide a solid rhythm section. When I write bass lines they fit the feel and style of the songs well. I've never had complaints about my abilities, and I've even had people come up to me after gigs telling me that they thought I was really good.

To me I'm as good as I need to be. I look at videos posted by members and other virtuoso players and "wow, by comparison I can barely even play" then I remember that I have a wife, a family, a full time job and a social life. If I wanted to sacrifice other aspects of my life and dedicate time to it then I could probably be as good as anyone, but, I'm good enough for me.

If I ever audition for a band and get told that I'm not good enough then I'll rethink my stance.

Until that day; I'm a solid, confident, bassist with a large amount of gigging and recording experience.

And with that, I'm off to put the baby to bed.

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1376076764' post='2169562']
I classify myself as a solid player.

[...]

To me I'm as good as I need to be. I look at videos posted by members and other virtuoso players and "wow, by comparison I can barely even play" then I remember that I have a wife, a family, a full time job and a social life. If I wanted to sacrifice other aspects of my life and dedicate time to it then I could probably be as good as anyone, but, I'm good enough for me.
[/quote]

A very good point.

If I'm honest, I'd have to say that I was a considerably better player 25 years ago, when i could afford to invest far more time in proper practice than the odd snatched half hour that's all I seem to manage these days.

I'm enjoying this thread & I'm pleased to be amongst some who like myself came to bass-playing rather late in life & without or having had little musical education.

It has given me so much pleasure to play alongside other amateur musicians & to make a fairly decent job of it I'm chuffed to bits with myself. To those that achieve just this, good for you.

I will always enjoy & admire those whose talent shines brighter, & hopefully, little by little, I'll never stop learning/improving. As an amateuer musician my life is the better for it.

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1376044264' post='2168903']
BTW I am offically certified by a well respected bass teacher as "internediate" which to me means I can play in time but can't play an interesting bass line :unsure: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

shouldnt this be on the 'whats the best bass for metal' thread? :ph34r:

You can't assess your 'level'. It's relative to your own perception of 'levels', and I bet 95% of musicians don't even know what they want to do, or are capable of, without progressing to the next 'level'. Which then propels you into a brief moment of understanding followed by a realisation that you can only relate your current 'level' to your previous 'level'.

It's personal, and you need to understand what you want to be able to do, and that will probably keep evolving. Most people don't understand their own motives and potential so it's largely impossible to assess your 'level' in a useful way. Just assume you can always improve and get closer to your current aesthetic, but understand your aesthetic will evolve and change over time, and that you should possibly get a good tutor who understands you if you find you can't seem to achieve your current aesthetic.

Does that make sense?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1376434125' post='2174060']...Does that make sense?[/quote]

Yes, Nigel; now, go and lie down, there's a good lad. No, just the shoes. You can keep your socks on. We wouldn't want your feet to catch a chill, now would we..? I'll leave the door ajar, and we won't be far away. Close your eyes and think of nice things... That's fine... :mellow:

(Shhhh.....)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1376439190' post='2174106']
Yes, Nigel; now, go and lie down, there's a good lad. No, just the shoes. You can keep your socks on. We wouldn't want your feet to catch a chill, now would we..? I'll leave the door ajar, and we won't be far away. Close your eyes and think of nice things... That's fine... :mellow:

(Shhhh.....)
[/quote]

Yeah, did that, now what? :D

Yes, Nigel; now, go and lie down, there's a good lad.
<snip>
(Shhhh.....)
[/quote]
I had to read both your and xilddx's posts a few times to attempt to work out what was being said and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not perceptive enough to understand either :unsure: , but I agree that you should assume you can always improve and get closer to your own ideal.

The idea of having a level into which you fit is subjective and, for me, the acid test is playing with others - you'll get pretty immediate feedback on where you're perceived to be on whatever arbitrary scale is chosen. Beyond a modest level of technical facility and understanding of theory (whether formally taught or otherwise acquired), if you can wrestle a noise out of your instrument that fits in and is appreciated, that's good enough.

Identifying in yourself what's not good enough by the standards you've set for yourself is another kettle of fish!

(Shhhh.....)
[/quote]

And that's from a self proclaimed hippy? ;)