Why become a member? ×

Share your achievements, accolades and finest moments!

Dood

Playing to this lot was pretty cool earlier for Liverpool Pride festival, be interested to know how many people were there exactly as everyone backstage was guessing between 15-20,000 [attachment=140621:644218_10151838867384579_640333633_n.jpg] -most importantly, was a fun gig! Similarly performed at the Grand National earlier this year.

Went busking yesterday and made £205 between four of us in two hours... not too shabby!

Plus there's all the punters that come up and say 'you sound like/your style reminds me of Flea/Pino Palladino/Alex James/Geddy Lee' (delete as appropriate depending on who's style I'd decided to emulate with my covers band that night- I'd try and play the entire gig 'in character' as it were, rather than playing them all the same)

Met some great people at gigs I've played, most importantly of all. B)

Rick Lee the drummer from the 1960s band '10 Years After' asked if I would do a set for a friend's 50th birthday in our local village hall. It was mostly musician 'friends' who turned up and there was a constant stream of people plugging in , grabbing a mike, doing a solo it was wonderfully spontaneous but had the high potential to turn into disaster at any one moment !! With about 5 musicians temporarily joining the band on each number trying to find space to do their thing , Rick a consummate professional, realised very early on and winked after the first number saying "looks like its going to be down to you and me mate to carry this !"

He was right. A small insignificant gig but felt like we were the tightest bass and drums in the world that night and it felt so cool to underpin the huge amount of fun that everyone had performing !

Learnt the wrong song for a dep (Freedom - George Michael instead of Freedom - Wham, my fault in seeing the former come up on an internet search & thinking 'that'll be the one'). Got to the run through before the dep & realised my error, but thought 'How hard can it be I've heard it often enough' so just said 'Let's give it a go see how far I get' and proceeded to get right through including catching their missing the end and following them round. Finished. The drummer looked at me & said 'Have you [i][u]really[/u][/i] never played that before? .... How the #### did you do that!?' - well it's only four strings isn't it :lol:

Most memorable gig. Live Aid [size=1]Worthing [size=4]- mind you looking back at the crap video that was produced of the night I often wonder WTF we thought we were doing with an extended instrumental intro before the vocalist came on when we only had something like a 20 minute set. Other than that I just remember a full hall well into our set & joining in in all the right places. [/size][/size]

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1375573485' post='2163151']
Many years ago I was late arriving at a gig (as a melodeon player). Got there just as the band was about to strike up with a stand-in melodeon player. I burst in through the door just in time and John Kirkpatrick stood aside to make room for me.

Glory days indeed.
[/quote]

I know we're not being competitive here, but as far as I can see we have a winner :)

Trying out for a band and being told by the singer 'It's good that we've got a proper bassist going for it, and not just some amateur trying to play guitar on it'. Still didn't get the gig, but the fact that I got thought of as more than a failed guitarist meant a lot.

One that comes to mind was about 10 years ago when I was in a band that used to play a lot of biker rallies. A very good band, but essentially just a group of mates who had played together over the years, knocking out rock covers for the hell of it!

We did one rally in Scarborough where we were introduced to one guy from Ipswich after the show. He told us that he was going to give this event a miss but he had got a phone call from his mates on the Saturday morning telling him that we were headlining that night (he had seen us before at another rally). So he immediately strapped a tent on his bike and rode all the way from Ipswich to a field just outside Scarborough and paid on the door - just to see us play Van Halen, Pearl Jam & Queen covers, etc!

I always thought that was a pretty good complement…

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' timestamp='1375537549' post='2162656']
It's made me realise I should be grateful for the praise, regardless of who it comes from. It's nice to know that whatever I've done has had an impact on someone, no matter how little.
[/quote]

Them's wise words, man, and deserve som following.
Me, I have been terrible at receiving praise, but I've always played in the hope of one, just at least one please, person in the audience getting it.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1375539744' post='2162692']
i recieved a few compliments on the fact that i managed that entire feat with missing a note.
[/quote]

Bah! I call your one note, and up the ante and seeing you (dunno what I'm talking about indeed), by stating that I've been known to do it with missing [b]two[/b] notes!
Ha! Your poker face went pale there! :lol:

OK then. Here's mine.
Though I'm hesitant about this, my proud moment is soo damn proud that I'll take the risk.

To put my proud moment in perspective, I think I must say something first.
For starters, I'm a classical organist and composer, and have done some electronic studio, piano and harpsichord as well. Besides having taught at the music college for a short stint, I've also met quite the list of musicians.
Now, though the impact of the following list must not be overrated, and in fact can hardly be underrated, technically I've cooperated, played and/or worked with, or have been student of, guys like Marie-Claire Alain, Bill Bruford, Philip Glass, Ton Koopman, Robert van der Linden, Theo Loevendie, Michael Nyman, Krzysztof Penderecki, Guy Reibel, John Surman, and Iannis Xenakis.
Also, one of the more famous recordings of the Bach Christmas Oratorio has me as one of the (probably four) harpsichord players.
This is a long list, not so I can boast (which there is absolutely no reason for, I assure you), but just so someone somewhere might actually recognise one or two of these names, and better understand how proud my proud moment was.

My proudest and best moment by far was when I was sitting practising one Bach preludium & fugue on a pipe organ in college, and that very day I suddenly really nailed it, giving me one of the best experiences in life as to listening to my own work. That is not the proud part.

What I didn't know however, was that a young soprano had silently entered the hall, and had been listening to this. She only made herself visible during the very last bars of the fugue. Somehow, I was able to finish the ting (the fugue, not the soprano - delightfully hot and endearing as she was).

The soprano then came up to me, and expressed she finally understood the pipe organ as an instrument, expressing that I had explained it to her, and how she'd previously never gotten that a loudmouthed, boasty instrument like that, totally lacking in dynamics, could even be regarded a musical instrument.

Don't know if anyone here can relate, and I must and can accept any lack of understanding, but it moves me to tears even today, thirty years later.
Best moment in my musical life.
YMMV.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

That's a great story BassTractor, love it.

For me there's 3 that jump to mind, firstly in my old metal band Echovirus we played to a packed out stage at the Download Festival in 2009, okay so it was a tent they put up in the campsite/village area on the Thursday before the festival proper started with a couple of other unsigned bands, so we were only competing with the fairground and the bars for peoples attention but it was awesome and the tent was so full people couldn't get in, got a lot of very complimentary feedback too which was great.

Second is the album we did with that band, so what if it cost us thousands and I've got boxes of un-sold copies sat at my parents house, the songs are good, it's a pro-produced album that was available through Amazon, Itunes and Spotify; it was supposed to be available through HMV too but the label never sorted that out. A quick look on Amazon shows you can still get it there too. Never saw any money from the label, but some great stories.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003B2B5T4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1375621174&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

Thirdly I played with a local covers act, who I now do a fair bit of work for when they played at a nearby racecourse at one of their music and race days; it was supporting a lad off the X-Factor - Jamie 'Afro' Archer and we blew him off the stage, couple of thousand people there, was a great night.

Download festival with Echovirus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2amqkjl6dxE&

Lingfield Racecourse with Naked Bass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90aVX1oPb4s&

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Nothing bass related, but getting up to play a (bloody terrible) guitar solo with Todd Rundgren at the Forum in 1994 is probably the highlight of my musical life. It was released as a video too so I get to relive just how appalling it was whenever I want.... :)

Also, earlier this year I wrote my first ever song & was fortunate enough to have one of my musical heroes Boo Hewerdine play guitar & sing backing vocals on it, and to have it recorded by (Del Amitri/Breeders/Marillion/many others) producer Mark Freegard.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1375619780' post='2163482']...Best moment in my musical life...[/quote]

For this alone, I reclaim the return of the 'Like..!' button. Please..?
Thanks for sharing, Bert.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1375617363' post='2163450']
I've never heard of him :lol:
[/quote]
Well of course ''Google is your friend'' here, but you're going to need a [i]heck [/i]of a long time to work through his discography. Couldn't quite believe it myself when I had a quick look just now.
Roughly equivalent, I would say, to Danny Thompson saying ''nah mate, it's your gig, I was just sitting in till you got here''

What's that? Who's Danny Thompson? :lol:

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1375573485' post='2163151']
Many years ago I was late arriving at a gig (as a melodeon player). Got there just as the band was about to strike up with a stand-in melodeon player. I burst in through the door just in time and John Kirkpatrick stood aside to make room for me.

Glory days indeed.
[/quote]

If you're going to use a stand-in melodeon player then John Kirkpatrick is a pretty good choice! :)
Seen him loads of times over the years with Richard Thompson, Brass Monkey & loads of others.

But seriously I'd say supporting Tim Booth and The Music about ten yrs ago. Recently doing this tour and retaining my place for the upcoming tours, especially as i feel i didn't play that great due to not playing for months before due to hand dermatitis, which has recently turned into full blown eczema, so i'm now fighting that.

[url="http://www.rentinconcert.co.uk/"]http://www.rentinconcert.co.uk/[/url]

[quote name='Longmayyourun' timestamp='1375636079' post='2163725']

Well of course ''Google is your friend'' here, but you're going to need a [i]heck [/i]of a long time to work through his discography. Couldn't quite believe it myself when I had a quick look just now.
Roughly equivalent, I would say, to Danny Thompson saying ''nah mate, it's your gig, I was just sitting in till you got here''

What's that? Who's Danny Thompson? :lol:
[/quote]
Got that one! I once jammed with Jimmy Cricket though :D