Why become a member? ×

Share your achievements, accolades and finest moments!

Dood

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1375627053' post='2163573']
Nothing bass related, but getting up to play a (bloody terrible) guitar solo with Todd Rundgren at the Forum in 1994 is probably the highlight of my musical life. [b]It was released as a video too [/b]so I get to relive just how appalling it was whenever I want.... :)

Also, earlier this year I wrote my first ever song & was fortunate enough to have one of my musical heroes Boo Hewerdine play guitar & sing backing vocals on it, and to have it recorded by (Del Amitri/Breeders/Marillion/many others) producer Mark Freegard.
[/quote]

VIDEO LINK PLEASE!!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1375640140' post='2163790']
VIDEO LINK PLEASE!!
[/quote]

Not on your f***ing nelly mate! :D
Actually, I've trawled the internet looking for online clips & strangely there are none to be found (thank Christ!).
I keep meaning to get my video copy transferred to DVD but I've never got round to it.
If it ever happens you'll be the first to know. :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1375640320' post='2163792']
Not on your f***ing nelly mate! :D
Actually, I've trawled the internet looking for online clips & strangely there are none to be found (thank Christ!).
I keep meaning to get my video copy transferred to DVD but I've never got round to it.
If it ever happens you'll be the first to know. :)
[/quote]
:D

Playing in an amateur support band to John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, the Hard Road era.

1) All the gear set up, sound check finished and Mr. Mayall and Peter Green behind the back curtain jamming country blues on the house piano and his Les Paul.

Mr. Mayall asking for a simple bass line to be played and John McVie telling me to join in whilst he got a beer in!
5 minutes of simultaneous terror and joy.

And then to be thanked by them both? :)
Trembling again whilst I'm typing this.

2) Playing a set drunk and ruining an evening for the band and punters alike. :blush:
I received the biggest bollocking I have ever experienced but was kept on by the band after I offered to resign.

Never did that again - maximum 2 pints per gig since; one after sound check, one at half time.

A real bass player I know has a saying: "Rehearse sober, play sober. Rehearse p*ssed, play p*ssed."

Edited by Jazzneck

[attachment=140763:IMG_0002.jpg]

One of my finest moments:-

The legend of the bass guitar - that's ME on the right (and Leo Fender on the left).

I'm telling him that the pickup on the Stingray was uneven and he gave me some stick-on magnets to level things up somewhat.

Next thing is he takes my advice and produces adjustable pole pieces on G & L basses.

Edited by The Bass Doc

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1375546271' post='2162782']
In my brass playing days I managed to blag a recording session with the Black Dyke Band. Although I didn't get asked back, only getting glared at once in 8 hours of sight reading was ok in my book.
[/quote]

As a fellow brasser, this is the one that impresses me the most! :D

Okay here's mine so far:

1) I started playing bass in Nov 2006, and in June 2009 I passed Grade 8. (I know grades don't really mean a lot but to make that progress in that time felt pretty good)

2) Recording an album session for Mehal with [url="http://www.viplounge.org.uk/about-2/dare/"]Dare Mason[/url], and receiving compliments from Dare about my playing. (N.B. - I'm back in the studio with Mehal next month and will post links to the material as it appears online). Also, a couple of years ago we did a gig supporting Deborah Bonham in a "private" show at a pub in rural mid-Cornwall.

3) Last summer I had a brief stint with the band Empire of Fools, the highlight of which was this gig supporting Reef at Frome Festival. We were the first band on and were not expecting the audience to be as big or as receptive as they were!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBcLY2KdDFg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBcLY2KdDFg[/url]

And finally for now...
4) My new band - [url="http://bareknucklebluesband.co.uk/"]The Bare Knuckle Blues Band[/url]
Haven't gigged with them yet (first one is this Thursday) but the guitarist is a chap called Tim Mills. He is the founder of [url="https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/"]Bare Knuckle Pickups[/url] and has also toured and recorded with Elkie Brookes and Iced Earth, among others, and has been raving about my playing and tone in rehearsals and says that I have "really kicked the band up a gear". I'm proud to get that kind of compliment from a guy like him.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1375651301' post='2163971']
I'm telling him that the pickup on the Stingray was uneven...
[/quote]

Very nice Howard, but what do you expect from a man whose pens weigh about two pounds? :D

Edit: That's PENS. Thank you.

Edited by discreet

Some really nice stories in this thread! My own 'finest moments' would be, in order of magnitude...

1) Winning some of the Basschat monthly music competitions. I know that's small-fry compared to most people's claims to fame, but the BC competitions have given me a huge shot in the arm, confidence-wise, and they've also put me in touch with some great people with whom I'm now collaborating on new material (namely Mike Flynn / urb). So that's probably my favourite achievement of recent years.

2) Being told by Bjork that she liked my music! I interviewed her back in the 90s and we got talking about the DIY electronic music scene. I had a track of mine on a mini-disc player that she asked to listen to and said something like: "That's great, very quirky!" Which I thought was a particularly rich compliment coming from her :D

3) Being told by Andy Barlow (Lamb) that I'd made his night while DJ'ing at one of the infamous house parties in Chorlton, Manchester, again during the 90s (well, they were infamous if you lived in Chorlton at that time... ;)). I was and still am a huge fan of Lamb, so that was a real heart-warmer for me.