Why become a member? ×

Do bass players with signature models actually play the same bass you or I can buy ?

Les

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1375117185' post='2156910']
I'm looking at picking up an Epiphone Allen Woody soon, too. ....
[/quote]
It's OT, I know, but why does a film director need a signature bass?

;)

(Smiley added for clarification.)

Edited by mart

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1375113289' post='2156842']
The photos from the current Rancid tour have Matt Freeman playing one of his Squires, can't tell whether it's an off the shelf one, or a CS with a Squire decal.

I'd like to think it was an off the shelf, but if I'm honest, it probably isn't.
[/quote]

I think it probably is an off the shelf, again, it will have been set to his perfect set up by his tech but fundamentally it will be his sig.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1375175114' post='2157473']
It's OT, I know, but why does a film director need a signature bass?
[/quote]

Lack of smiley makes it difficult for me to gauge whether or not you are cracking a joke or if this is a genuine question.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1375054176' post='2156285']
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Buying a signature instrument is a great way of sounding like you, but at extra cost.[/font][/size]
[/quote]

Not always.
I purchased an anniversary signature instrument (new) for not an awful lot of money. Less than a MIM Fender. It's a Yamaha. A Japanese made Yamaha. One of 300. It has Di Marzio pick-ups and a real (not licensed) Hipshot de-tuner.
It's as well made and finished as my Vigier.
A lot of people that tried it at bass bashes seemed to rate it..
I bought it because it was a good bass at a silly price.
I still don't own any music player by the signature artist in question.

But I do sound like a [i]larger[/i] version of me when I play it...

[size=4][quote name='Les' timestamp='1375051693' post='2156263']
cos' I tried a Mikey Way signature Squier and I thought it was great, but, does he use the model that I tried at PMT or do Fender make him one with 1000 year old exotic wood and unobtanium bits and put a Squier badge on it as part of the deal ?The only thing that stopped me buying it was the sparkly silver finish.
[/quote][quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1375052088' post='2156268']
I expect Mikey Way uses a Fender CS version of his signature bass...
[/quote]

I researched the Mikey Way bass for the MCR-infatuated daughter of a friend and Mikey does indeed use a Fender CS version, the only (visible) difference being 'Fender' on his headstock and 'Squier' on everyone else's. Had a go on it when it duly arrived and was very underwhelmed indeed.[/size]

Edited by discreet

Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins is another one who uses an off-the-shelf sig model, apparently he was pretty hands on in the development of it. Used it for about half of the recent gig I saw and the majority of the previous one and according to a 'rig rundown' video I watched it's the standard factory model. Never seen the Biffy guys with their Squiers in anything other than Photoshopped-looking promo pictures though. No sign of the Hayden amps Simon Neil "endorses" either, apart from a couple of 4x12 cabs with the Hayden logo that are no doubt part of the package keeping James Johnston in giant Ashdown rigs!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1375115438' post='2156875']
It's a mug's game to buy what [i]XYZ[/i] plays and expecting to sound anything like them.
[/quote]
But when I bought a Tony Franklin Fretless Precision I had no desire or expectation to sound like him because I had never even heard of him.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1375124801' post='2157036']
I know Steve Harris had a couple of the off the shelf fender sig models as backups on the British lion tour earlier this year.
I know it's a tweaked p bass, but, ignoring the scribble on the back of the headstock, it has to be THE best p bass I have ever played.
[/quote]

Agreed. It is THE best P Bass fender make IMO. That fact its blue and sparkly is a bonus :lol:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1375115438' post='2156875']

It's a mug's game to buy what [i]XYZ[/i] plays and expecting to sound anything like them.
[/quote]

even though I have a sig model I've only ever wanted to sound like me :)

The Stanley Clarke Signature Alembic bass is not the same bass that Stanley actually plays. But if you wanted to you could buy a series I bass which is the model that Stanley is most known for playing. However because Alembic's at that level are generally customs you could choose to have the same options that Stanley has on one of his personal basses if you wanted to do that.
In actual fact the primary difference between the signature and the series basses is in the electronics and pickups not the woodwork.

For me the signature bass was an affordable way into the kinds of tones that I was enjoying from his music. I sound like me still unless I'm doing a Stanley Clarke track in which case I like the fact I can get a good representation of his sound to make the track sound authentic.

jazzyvee

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1375124801' post='2157036']
I know Steve Harris had a couple of the off the shelf fender sig models as backups on the British lion tour earlier this year.
I know it's a tweaked p bass, but, ignoring the scribble on the back of the headstock, it has to be THE best p bass I have ever played.
[/quote]

But what is the difference, if any, between this and an American std P bass?

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1375189028' post='2157844']
[/quote]

its heavier. Badass II, Seymour Duncan SPB1 pup. I think its the blue sparkle and mirror pick guard that really make it sound unique. :D

Its really hard to explain but it just sounds and is more P than my MIA P

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1375189376' post='2157851']
I'd say the main difference is it's made in Japan ;)
[/quote]

That too! Build quality is great. I'm sure they don't offer a hardcase with it for fear of people buying it over the MIA

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1375189350' post='2157849']
its heavier. Badass II, Seymour Duncan SPB1 pup. I think its the blue sparkle and mirror pick guard that really make it sound unique. :D

[/quote]
Does it come with the flatwounds?

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1375189028' post='2157844']
[/quote]
This is the crooks of the matter how much difference is there between any P basses really? Most people argue that a Badass is a waste of money (not me actually I liked mine) and a 1/4 pounder pickup is easy and cheap to fit!

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1375189350' post='2157849']

[/quote]

Doesn't the Steve Harris model come with a signature model spb4 quarter pounder? I think though a rewound hotter than an spb3 😈

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1375275129' post='2159090']

Doesn't the Steve Harris model come with a signature model spb4 quarter pounder? I think though a rewound hotter than an spb3 😈
[/quote]

First sig came with an SPB3 mine has a SBP1 wound to basically be the same as a fender pup I believe. Not sure if they now come with SPB4s

I own a signature bass. This one:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC03062.jpg[/IMG]

It's a Yamaha BJ5B, Terry & The Blue Jeans signature bass. I bought simply because it's the only way of getting a 5-string bass with the SBV shape without having to have a custom made one. Before I discovered the existence of this bass I knew nothing about Terry & The Blue Jeans who are apparently a pretty well-known Japanese surf band. Having listen to some of their music they are for me mainly at the cheesier end of surf and consequently not really my thing, and I haven't found a single video of them actually using this bass, although Terry himself does use the matching model of guitar. However I think the bass looks fantastic and I'll continue to use it when we play on stages that are suitably large enough.

I also have a hankering for a Reverend Brad Houser Bass. Again until I discovered the bass, I knew nothing about Brad Houser's music or the bands he's been in and having listen to some of his stuff, I can't say I will ever have any need to hear any more. On the other hand the bass that bears his name is a great instrument.