Why become a member? ×

LM3/Barefaced Compact Cab - A little dark?

martthebass

Wondering what to do with my current set up. I'm finding that it can lack clarity and punch with some of my basses. This wasn't the case when I used a MB 115HR cab but a change of car resulted in the need to go to a smaller cab.

Don't get me wrong I love the BF, it's loud for its size and sounds superb with my Rick and Ray but with the Status and particularly my Precision its lacking something.

So, before I start making expensive changes to my Bass collection or Rig, any advice? A change of amp or cab would suit me better if that was necessary but what for?

Edited by martthebass

The Compact is quoted as having a usable frequency range of up to 4kHz (likewise the Midget without a tweeter). As such it is not 'hi-fi', but will reproduce [i]most[/i] of what a bass guitar puts out. If that's not enough treble extension for you, you'll probably appreciate something with a tweeter.

Caveats:
(1) My hearing only goes up to 12kHz in my better ear.
(2) You may hear a difference with a tweeter, but your audience may not!

I found the same with the Compact, it being a tad flat on its own, so paired it with a BF Midget (also without a tweeter) which gave it a bit more bite. But, in the mix on its own the Compact had a very good presence, without "cutting", it was kind of just "there". For me it had a very old-school type sound, giving the bass (a Precision with dead roundwounds) a supporting role rather than a lead role, if that makes sense? I think a BF Compact with a controllable tweeter would be a worthy addition to the BF range.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1374283024' post='2147267']
Also depends on what you're doing with your LM3. How are you using the VLE and VPF filters..?
[/quote]
This. A little tweak may well go a long way to sorting this. Remember that a solo'd bass tone may not quite be to your taste but in the mix it could work perfectly. :)

I'd tend to agree - I felt the same when I had an 'on tour' compact. Amazing sound cab but really didn't sparkle in the way I like when used with a P. It was better with the stingray copy I had but ultimately I knew it wasn't right for me.

Looking like a cab change at some point then......bugger, I find the BF ideal in terms of weight and size. I've thought about adding a midget that that sort of defeats the 'space' objective.
Regarding the filters on the LM3, I've had a bit of a play but no real improvement. I tend to do 0 on the filters now and alter the EQ as suits. flat EQ is fine on the Ray and Rick and with a play the Streamline but I can't get a good sound with the P bass.
Thanks for the advice guys.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1374308122' post='2147348']
................. a solo'd bass tone may not quite be to your taste but in the mix it could work perfectly. :)
[/quote]

Don't know why people go for this...
Who would want a sound that didn't sound good out on its own..?

If there is a quiet passage in the song that is where you want the bass sounding great, IMO..

Edited by JTUK

I`ve found, using a Precision through Markbass, that dropping the low-mids works. Precisions have bundles of low-mids anyway, so dropping these to taste really helps. For reference, I have (at clock positions) Bass 2, Low Mids 8 Hi Mids 12, Treble 2. Sounds great.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1374336995' post='2147784']

Don't know why people go for this...
Who would want a sound that didn't sound good out on its own..?

If there is a quiet passage in the song that is where you want the bass sounding great, IMO..
[/quote]

I agree. It's not hard to have a good tone that you like whilst setting up at home which can then be tweaked a little for each gig.

The LM2/3 with a P Bass is pretty good for just slotting in to anything anyway. If you want more ping and treble it'll be the lack of tweeter (although a good midrange speaker will get you there as well eg the Baer cabs).

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1374315481' post='2147460']
Likewise. I found mine just sounded like an old school 15" cab. Kinda wooly and lacking any clarity and bite.
[/quote]

Well to my ears the compact has the same "clarity and bite" as my epifany UL310 with tweeter disabled. IMO if you need more top than a compac provides then you need a horn/tweeter of some sort.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1374417507' post='2148477']
Well to my ears the compact has the same "clarity and bite" as my epifany UL310 with tweeter disabled. IMO if you need more top than a compac provides then you need a horn/tweeter of some sort.
[/quote]

It will have upper mids...and bite. I doubt Alex would engineer it and use a speaker that doesn't do that, but if you want the snap...trebly string winding type, then you need more.

I dont know Barefaced cabs at all so cant comment there, but I had a LM2 and the best thing I ever did with it was sell it. I don't know if the LM3 is much different to the 2, but I was wondering why I couldn't get any real clarity out of the top end, it was an ok sounding amp but just sounded a bit muddy like my old Ashdown with a passive bass. I shifted it on and got an EBS Reidmar and it was like someone pulled a big heavy blanket off my cab. It had lots more clarity in the top and low end and lot more power before the amp started giving in and it was just brighter in every sense.

I recently had the Reidmar stolen and decided to replace it with something different just out of interest really. I spoke to a well established bass store about the MarkBass, Reidmar and the Aguilar Tonehammer and he basically agreed about the LM2 and said that the Reidmar was a cleaner amp and much more detailed. I actually had to reign in the Reidmar a lot of the time because it was a bit too bright sometimes and he said the Tonehammer would sit nicely in between the two.

Had the Tonehammer a couple of weeks now and had its first gig last night. Great amp, brighter and more top than the Markbass but not quite the sparkly, super top end of the EBS, but I don't slap so not got a lot of need for it.

That`s a very good point NJE, Markbass amps to me seem to concentrate on the mids, in the same way as Ampeg - but cleaner. On their own the sound is a bit nasally and uninspiring, but in the mix they come alive. If shimmery top-end is required, then Markbass wouldn`t be my recommendation.

I've found the LM amps are great at low volume but don't retain the focus when driven.
I think this sorts out the men from the boys in a lot of amps but with Markbass they give out
sooner.
Maybe you need higher \quality components to be driven harder, longer..or maybe you need
the amp to have more in hand so it isn't at stress levels..??
Maybe, you get what you pay for...

In short, I think Markbass LM amps stress quicker...but they aren't alone in that.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1374485169' post='2149108']
We have something akin to this in terms of performance coming out next month! :)
[/quote]

Well I can see you being very busy selling those then Alex.