Why become a member? ×

Postage at buyers risk...

Kev

Increasingly seeing this in the forum and I don't think it's right. Surely as its the seller who knows the preshipping condition of the instrument, is ensuring the bass is packed well and wants to make the sale it should always be their responsibility? I wonder how many online bass shops would still be going if they adverised shipping at buyers risk! Then there is the whole trust issue... 'oh the truss rod worked fine when it was with me, must have been the courier...' etc. I have had a few things damaged in courier when I have sold them and I wouldn't dream of telling the buyer to deal with it themselves! Also, any insurance claim would have to be handled by the sender, so I'm at a loss really. Surely if a buyer wants to offer postage to assist his chance of a sale, he should be responsible?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1373711076' post='2140796']
Agree. Whenever I send something I send it properly packed, and insured for the value of the item.
[/quote]

Exactly this! The wiener comments about 'at buyers risk' just force me to look elsewhere for what I'm after...

I have no problem with shipping at buyers cost though... ;)

Edited by andydye

It is daft. I put it up there with "buyer sorts out courier." - fine until you realise you still rely on the seller to pack the thing well.
I presume that it's my reponsibility to get it to the buyer - if the courier mess up it will be me filling out the insurance after all. My other wee bug bear is folk who don't let you know it's got their safely.

When I've sold basses, pretty much all through Ebay, I was insure - I want it to arrive in one bit as well!

Bags of parcel tape in a proper guitar box - they'd probably withstand nuclear attack!

But I fully agree with the OP - it is the responsibility of the seller to ensure things are packed and sent properly. You can always take a photo when you send it as proof of the packaging, too.

I wouldn't bet on it - I did just this, plus stuffed it full of poly blocks and the Royal Mail still managed to fill it full of holes, and deny all claims for compensation because it wasn't packed to their stipulation in a hard case that was itself packed up in a specific way

Must say all the basses (4 of them) and other stuff I have bought off here and had shipped to Finland have all been packed perfectly by the sellers.. The people I have dealt with seem to go the extra to make sure it arrives safe and sound. Good on Basschat.

Straying away from the main point I was making; if the bass is smashed to bits in the post, ultimately it is the seller who should be responsible, whether indemnified by insurance or not. Shipping just shouldn't be 'at buyers risk'

Saying that, I travelled halfway across the country today to avoid having a bass posted, despite it costing me at least twice as much.

I generally have stuff picked up by my courier, I have a contract, and if they wreck it, I have the evidence to hand too. They risk their contract if they dick me about. "I will post at buyers risk" is meaningless on ebay, it's seller risk regardless. Just because you don't want to take responsibility doesn't mean you don't have to.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1373708651' post='2140760']
Increasingly seeing this in the forum and I don't think it's right. Surely as its the seller who knows the preshipping condition of the instrument, is ensuring the bass is packed well and wants to make the sale it should always be their responsibility? I wonder how many online bass shops would still be going if they adverised shipping at buyers risk! Then there is the whole trust issue... 'oh the truss rod worked fine when it was with me, must have been the courier...' etc. I have had a few things damaged in courier when I have sold them and I wouldn't dream of telling the buyer to deal with it themselves! Also, any insurance claim would have to be handled by the sender, so I'm at a loss really. Surely if a buyer wants to offer postage to assist his chance of a sale, he should be responsible?
[/quote] Agreed one of the most sensible things I have heard for ages :) When I see postage at buyers risk I tend to steer away from the item and look for another.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1373743591' post='2141226']
It's the seller's responsibility to get the goods delivered. If the seller doesn't want to do that then he or she needs to say 'pick up or meet only'.
[/quote]
You gave that nail a headache.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1373746725' post='2141264']
I don't buy basses that I can't go and collect in person. I've gone to Newcastle, Liverpool, Goole and Nottingham so far.

I've received less valuable items that were packed really badly so I wouldn't risk it with a bass.
[/quote]
I can understand that to a certain extent but how do you think that the bass gets from the manufacturer to the customer in the first place?

Edited by BetaFunk

Ater reading the perils of sending a bass i'm thinking of picking up my new Fender from the U.S. Does anyone know what airport is nearest to the Fender factory and how much the flight will cost taking in to consideration that i will require two seats so that the bass does not get damaged on the journey. I presume that every guitar and bass manufacturer does this otherwise how on earth do they arrive in the U.K. undamaged?

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1373749650' post='2141318']

I can understand that to certain extent but how do you think that the bass gets from the manufacturer to the customer in the first place?
[/quote]
What difference does that make, I would only collect in person for a valuable bass so as long as it got to the shop ok I'd be buying from them, if its snapped in half before it even gets there that's not my problem is it? I don't even mind a display model if its mint or reduced to suit, no point getting the boxed one home to find it damaged, faulty electronics or just not as nice as the display one you tried ;)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1373749990' post='2141324']
Ater reading the perils of sending a bass i'm thinking of picking up my new Fender from the U.S. Does anyone know what airport is nearest to the Fender factory and how much the flight will cost taking in to consideration that i will require two seats so that the bass does not get damaged on the journey. I presume that every guitar and bass manufacturer does this otherwise how on earth do they arrive in the U.K. undamaged?
[/quote]
But you are not dealing with them are you? Annoying if it gets damaged but ultimately not your problem is it, that's what your uk franchised dealer is there for.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1373750234' post='2141327']
What difference does that make, I would only collect in person for a valuable bass so as long as it got to the shop ok I'd be buying from them, if its snapped in half before it even gets there that's not my problem is it? I don't even mind a display model if its mint or reduced to suit, no point getting the boxed one home to find it damaged, faulty electronics or just not as nice as the display one you tried ;)
[/quote]
I have no idea what that has got to do with what i said. ;)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1373749990' post='2141324']
[/quote]
If your bass gets damaged in the post, Fender will assume responsibility and refund you appropriatley. That's the point of the thread, it should [i]always[/i] be the seller's responsibility, whether that be Fender or Joe Bloggs.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1373750381' post='2141330']
But you are not dealing with them are you? Annoying if it gets damaged but ultimately not your problem is it, that's what your uk franchised dealer is there for.
[/quote]
Again i fail to see what that has got to do with what i said.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1373750947' post='2141336']
If your bass gets damaged in the post, Fender will assume responsibility and refund you appropriatley. That's the point of the thread, it should [i]always[/i] be the seller's responsibility, whether that be Fender or Joe Bloggs.
[/quote]
I'm fully aware of what the OP was but thanks for reminding me. :rolleyes:

I was answering what someone had said about only picking up basses. Read the whole thread and hopefully all will become clear.