Why become a member? ×

PJ's - am I missing something?

M-Bass-M

Firstly, I'm talking basses with a P-bass pickup at the neck and a J-bass pickup at the bridge...not the clothes that you may wear at night in bed!

I currently have an obsession with PJ basses. In my mind I want to emulate my bass heroes and own a p-bass. But then I also would love the ability to dial in that mid, punchy bridge pup sound every now and again. I guess I see the PJ combination as the ultimate versatility.

However, there seem to be very few of these about. Plenty of JJ pickup configurations, or HH combinations (as per my current Status). So am I missing something - why are there so few PJ basses on the market?

Cheers!

Mark

Because in many cases ( though not all ) the j is markedly quieter than the p, and worse still, in a PJ, it's at a point where there's less string excursion than the P sees, so the mismatch is made even more acute.

Having a twin J at the bridge can help balance it out (think mk1 Fender MIA deluxe P)
Or a humbucker in a single-coil housing...

If you look around a bit more , there are loads of PJ basses on the market of one description or another . If you mean vaguely Fenderish - style basses , take a look at the Yamaha BB basses , or the ESP LTD ( or indeed ESP made in Japan ) Vintage Series , or higher up the price scale Sandberg , Sadowsky and Lakland do cracking PJ'S . For more modern styles of bass , look at some of the Warwicks and Spectors , or Pedulla , to name but a few .

If you want a P sound get a P. If you want a J sound get a J.
A PJ is at best a compromise and at worst is the deformed spawn of Satan.
Say a few prayers and be thankful you saw the light before it was too late.

;)

Edited by discreet

there are a load of p/j's out there, i was always a j/j bass man for years then eventually i got a p/j, i never play j/j basses anymore.
however as stated before there are many p/j basses that are very unbalanced tonally, so i like to think of them as a p bass with a little something extra that you can add if desired.
i recently tried a couple of p/p basses , big sound very balanced, with loads of tonal options, try one if you can im officially converted, my new custom bass will have p/p pickups and a piezo bridge and iv got a feeling all my other basses will be for sale shortly after i recieve it.
:)

Regarding the tonal imbalance between the P and J on a typical PJ bass , it is an inherent problem , and a pet hate of mine , but some designs deal with it far better than others . Unfortunately , the ones that deal with it best tend to be pretty expensive . Two that spring to mind are the USA - made Lakland Bob Glaub PJ and the Yamaha 2024/25 Super BB's . The Lakland uses a specially designed for that particular PJ model linear humbucker in the Jazz position that seems pretty even in relation to the P pickup , and the J - style pickup on the Yamaha is so beefy it would match any Precision pickup .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1371049413' post='2109118']
If you want a P sound get a P. If you want a J sound get a J.
A PJ is at best a compromise and at worst is the deformed spawn of Satan.
Say a few prayers and be thankful you saw the light before it was too late.

;)
[/quote]
There is some truth in this, though I wouldn't call mine the spawn of satan exactly. I have a US P, a US J (both passive) and a US P deluxe which is active and has P on the neck and double J on the bridge, all 3 were made less than 4 years apart from each other. Now obviously the active electronics make a big difference so it is not a genuine like for like comparison but I'd still agree that I can't get a really genuine P or J sound out of the hybrid, it has a character all of its own which I'm fine with but if I was to move on any of the 3 at the moment it would probably be the P/J.

[URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/KevB64/media/IMG_0944.jpg.html][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/KevB64/IMG_0944.jpg[/IMG][/URL][

Edited by KevB

best cheap ish P/J bass

[url="http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/peavey-zodiac-de-scorpio-bass-guitar-in-black.html"]http://www.pmtonline...r-in-black.html[/url]

a real bargain, i tried one recently and it sounded great, and had lovely low action too
i thought it was a bargain at £359 but its even cheaper now. - looks better in blue though.
you gotta love those seymour duncan 1/4 pickups for big output :^)

Edited by winterfire666

I completely agree on the double P route. My favourite layout, and the combo on my main bass. However, A PJ can also work very well indeed if the pickups are chosen well to complement each other. A nice, hot, hum-free J in the bridge position balances nicely (and noiselessly) with a vintage-type P pickup in the neck position.
And as we're showing double P's, here's mine !

[url=http://www.ephotobay.com/share/aria-full-b.html][/url]

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1371053510' post='2109219']
I completely agree on the double P route. My favourite layout, and the combo on my main bass. However, A PJ can also work very well indeed if the pickups are chosen well to complement each other. A nice, hot, hum-free J in the bridge position balances nicely (and noiselessly) with a vintage-type P pickup in the neck position.
And as we're showing double P's, here's mine !

[url="http://www.ephotobay.com/share/aria-full-b.html"][/url]
[/quote]

I like that. A lot. Tell me more :D

The Squier P/J is a perfectly serviceable instrument at the low price end too, pick them up for little money on eBay. The PU's are a bit low output but as a playable instrument they are fine, had one for a year or so until I got the US deluxe.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erDqszk340E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erDqszk340E[/url]

Edited by KevB

Ha, thanks for the replies guys! I think I remember reading some time ago about the mis-match between the P and J pups, which I guess explains much.

The truth of the matter is that I should just get me a nice plain vanilla p-bass. Time for some GAS!

My BB's J was actually much louder than the P so I spent about 4 seconds adjusting the heights of the pickups and now they're perfectly balanced.

I love PJ basses. P's are all fine but sometimes I just want that burp you get from the bridge pickup. It's a great way of clearing up a bassy sound in a live environment. If I'm ever on a wooden stage or in a boomy room I just switch to the PJ blend and it tidies me up.

Truckstop

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1371049841' post='2109132']
The Fender Aerodyne has the PJ set up you are looking for, I have one and its a nice guitar, although, I stupidly strung it with flats as an experiment. (I will return it to rounds very soon)
Listen to Duff McKagans sound on the Velvet Revolver stuff. He uses an Aerodyne
[/quote]

Yep, Aerodynes = good basses. There`s also the Duff Signature Precision bass.

as with any bass you have to balance the pickups. :) [quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1371052751' post='2109201']
Regarding the tonal imbalance between the P and J on a typical PJ bass , it is an inherent problem , and a pet hate of mine , but some designs deal with it far better than others . Unfortunately , the ones that deal with it best tend to be pretty expensive . Two that spring to mind are the USA - made Lakland Bob Glaub PJ and the Yamaha 2024/25 Super BB's . The Lakland uses a specially designed for that particular PJ model linear humbucker in the Jazz position that seems pretty even in relation to the P pickup , and the J - style pickup on the Yamaha is so beefy it would match any Precision pickup .
[/quote] mind you I'm sure you could get a set custom made for you that would do the same without the cost of a US Lakland or Yamaha 20xx!

I love the P/J on my Overwater Classic. Although as mentioned above the J is too quiet. It's still a nice blend when the pan pot's in the middle or around 1cm rotation in either direction.

PIc, just 'cos I've not posted this one yet I think :)

[attachment=136792:overwater-classic.jpg]

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1371049182' post='2109111']
Because in many cases ( though not all ) the j is markedly quieter than the p, and worse still, in a PJ, it's at a point where there's less string excursion than the P sees, so the mismatch is made even more acute.

Having a twin J at the bridge can help balance it out (think mk1 Fender MIA deluxe P)
Or a humbucker in a single-coil housing...
[/quote]
This is the truth.

I own a Fender Aerodyne Jazz for just this reason. I once tried a Fender Precision HotRod which is what I'd exchange my Aerodyne for if I could find one (I can't get on with Precision-width necks).

Doesn't Fender also do a Japanese Precision with P/J pickups as well as the USA Precision Deluxe which has them too? From memory the Japanese one has a Jazz-width neck and the USA Deluxe has a neck that's slightly slimmer than a normal Precision.

...and that's only looking at Fender.

When it comes to the secondhand market (and the lack of many of the above), either Fender doesn't sell many or the people who buy them hang onto them.