Why become a member? ×

Flatwound string recommendations for string-thru bridges

I've been a user of Flatwound strings for many years and have normally used basses that have bridges where the strings pass through the end of the bridge, not through the body.

I've just picked up a bass that has a string-thru only bridge and wondered if anyone can recommend me a set of flatwounds or halfwounds that would suit this type of bridge.

I'm conscious of the angle over the saddle and know that some flatwounds would probably break if they were strung this way.

Thanks in advance :)

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1370767975' post='2105195']
La Bella now make flats specifically designed from string thru basses, such as [url="http://www.labella.com/products/760fs-tb/"]these[/url].
[/quote]

Somewhat bizarrely even though La Bella make strings they quote for thru-body stringing their most senior string guy very strongly recommends never stringing flats through the body!

I had a long chat with him about this and he said that it makes no appreciable difference to either tension or tone but that, unless set up perfectly, it regularly destroys string tonality and they go 'dead' really quickly.

Of course there's the issue of breakage as well but I've not actually seen this. I have seen some E & A strings looking a bit sad & definitely heard E's losing definition quickly and sounding dull and lifeless compared to the other three :(

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 2nd hand set of 5 string TI flats once to do exactly this as they are a bit longer leaving plenty of string to wrap around the tuner. No problems to report with them as they seem to be quite supple and able to cope with the sharp break angle over the saddle and through the body.

Only problem is you end up with a .135 (or whatever it is!) B string unused.

Most of my basses have string thru body arrangements, the majority of which have always had flats, I've never had a problem with losing volume or tone on any string, and never had a string break, i mainly use LaBella, but have also used others without issue. I don't play particularly hard though, maybe that makes a difference?

• 3 weeks later...

The first bass there was, was a Fender Precision with s.t.b. bridge. The only strings available were flatwounds. I have used Chromes on my P-bass and two of my Lakies, all of them strung them through the body. NEVER a broken string. Just remember to give the string "some rubbing and massaging " over the bridge saddle, ie. give it the proper curvature...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1372701252' post='2128812']
Bugger. Just ordered a set of Status flats for my ATK, then saw this thread... :huh:
[/quote]
Ive got Status Flats on both my Basses 1 String through the other Topload , both still going strong after nearly a year :)