Why become a member? ×

What tunes have you been learning today?

gary mac

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1379280465' post='2210892']
Oh and I've also got to learn this week for a big gig at The Eden Project, 'Dancing in the Dark' and 'Make me smile (come up and see me)' at the request of the CEO of BT Cornwall ............... hmmm, still BT are paying big bucks so I don't mind :)
[/quote]

what a venue to play a gig at, should be a good one.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1379281551' post='2210909']
what a venue to play a gig at, should be a good one.
[/quote]

Really looking forward to it but it's going to be a long one, we have to do two 1hr sets with the acoustic band (doublebass) and then two 1hr sets with the electric band (electric bass) but that just means double money for me :D

Finally (some would probably say inevitably as I've always been in covers bands) needed to learn 'Play That Funky Music'. There was less going on with the bass than I first thought. Also knocked off The Lemonheads version of Mrs Robinson. I think the next thing I'll need to sort out that will require some discipline will be 'This Charming Man' mainly because I can't stand The Smiths (actually I think it's just Morrissey but he just contaminates the rest of the work unfortunately).

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow I will be working on:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IdEhvuNxV8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IdEhvuNxV8[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz0DFefft2E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz0DFefft2E[/url]

wanted to get The Night by Franki Valli in to our set but looks like my bandies have rejected it this time round :(

I been learning/brushing up on set for sunday - Im depping for the bands usual player.... nothing too stretching, but a few interesting songs along with some equally dodgey ones!!... dont shoot the messenger (so to speak!!)
[list]
[*]

Moondance
Knocking on heavens door
light my fire
can't always get what you want
talk to my baby ( blues in A) can't find my way home
copperhead road
river runs deep
call me the breeze
Dear prundence
born on the bayou
i'll make love to you (jj cale)
malted milk
boy named sue
sweet home alabama
rocky mountain way
breathe
comfortably numb
stay with me
freebird
man on the moon
perfect day
cocaine come together
honky tonk woman
nights in white satin
alberta
the boatman
[/list]

• 3 weeks later...

Learning Superstition (Stevie Wonder) & Feeling Good (Muse version) for next week to give the singer something to sing whilst we're writing songs.
One of the band members suggested Local Boy (Stereophonics), but no one answered him. I like the song, but I couldn't think of a much more mind numbing song to play.

Today I have mostly been learning....

Coming Back to Life - Pink Floyd - as we are adding it to our set list - nice and easy one for me!

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme - Abba - for some fast octave work and a bit of slap - much much harder than it would appear and now my wrist hurts from all the constant stretching!

• 5 weeks later...

Spent a lot of monday playing along to Wizards Wish It Could be Christmas Everyday. I don't like chrimbo songs but we were due to rehearse it on monday evening.

After having suffered for my art and played it probably a dozen times and getting it nailed, Upon setting up at the studio, our BL says, "Don't think we'll bother with the Wizard one" :angry: