Why become a member? ×

What tunes have you been learning today?

gary mac

I've been relearning Rio. One of my friends said to also try it as a 2/4 country song; funniest thing to play, definite Hayseed Dixie potential :D

During the Christmas break I'm going to make a concerted effort to learn Hatian Divorce once and for all.

Most of my learning is scales, now chords, and improvisation. However, I'm trying to learn the main riff from The Blockheads' "Feel the Funk". I'm not good at things that require fast fingering (rather than achieving speed through hammer-ons etc.)

I'm not 100% sure that I have the riff right as I picked it out by ear and I have trouble working out bunches of fast notes in riffs, but at least I have something that gives me a finger speed workout.

Not quite one song in particular that I've been working on but I've decided to use Christmas time and an empty flat (bring out the tiny violins) to work on my soloing over changes. Just recorded light backing tracks for most of my standards repertoire and going through them a couple of days a time.

Fun! Must be other people shedding this Winter with this awful weather, right?

[quote name='BenTunnicliffe' timestamp='1387897407' post='2317015']
Not quite one song in particular that I've been working on but I've decided to use Christmas time and an empty flat (bring out the tiny violins) to work on my soloing over changes. Just recorded light backing tracks for most of my standards repertoire and going through them a couple of days a time.

Fun! Must be other people shedding this Winter with this awful weather, right?
[/quote]

No shedding here, haven't touched a bass since the end of our gig on Saturday. :( Busy with chrimbo stuff and housework today.

Have a good one.

• 1 month later...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFxGBB4UGU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6lFxGBB4UGU

Been learning Iron Maiden songs for the last couple of weeks but a friend suggested I try Moondance by Van Morrison which is different for me but very enjoyable.

Thing is Myke, a lot of the set that I play, I wouldn't choose to sit and listen to at home.

The band I'm with at the moment, unlike a lot of bands that I see about and bands I've been with in the past, tend to play stuff that hopefully is generally of a feel good nature and gets the audience dancing. Get the girls bopping about and the chaps will be close by and spending at the bar; this means happy bar/club owner and we get invited back.

It works for us :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1392030472' post='2363704']
Thing is Myke, a lot of the set that I play, I wouldn't choose to sit and listen to at home.

The band I'm with at the moment, unlike a lot of bands that I see about and bands I've been with in the past, tend to play stuff that hopefully is generally of a feel good nature and gets the audience dancing. Get the girls bopping about and the chaps will be close by and spending at the bar; this means happy bar/club owner and we get invited back.

It works for us :)
[/quote]

Can't argue with that! :)