Why become a member? ×

What tunes have you been learning today?

gary mac

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430397606' post='2761001']
Wasn't that knocked out by the rehearsal/audition last night but since everything was from scratch, the basic quality was there
and playback today put it in another light. Parts and generally band jizz will come, evolve and work itself out but the project will
have legs, I think ....
[/quote]

What do you use to / how do you record your rehearsals?

For as many months as I can remember, every time I’ve plugged in at home it has been to learn a song, entirely for my own enjoyment rather than for the band. After running through something last night I casually started fiddling around and came up with one of those funky lines that actually induces a grin. It made me think of Mark King’s “Gaddafi Duck” and, while nowhere near as adventurous, it had that vaguely messy feel (for me, lots of accidental harmonics and double string hits) that actually seemed to make it better.
So if I can manage to tear myself away from the snooker I might re-learn how to take a riff idea and turn it into a tune, which I haven’t done for years.
On that subject, I’ll probably try to look for decent drum machine software to replace HotStepper – which is pretty good, free, but slightly limiting – with something more sophisticated. Don’t mind paying a reasonable price for it and any recommendations would be appreciated (I run XP).

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1430399415' post='2761021']
What do you use to / how do you record your rehearsals?
[/quote]

Zoom Q2HD which does video and audio. Run it for audio as Video takes up so much space
on the card for my purposes. It is a real plug and play and forget device as all you need to do
is set mic level and providing you aren't too far with your mix, it will compensate and record
well. It is quite forgiving in this regard.
Simple USB down onto PC.
It is not always possible to select an optimum position for the band... so anywhere near a power
point is my criteria and it is pretty useful. It can run off batts but I haven't found that useful
as mine goes thru them too quickly.
Nice neat simple device.

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/video-recording/zoom-q2hd-handy-video-recorder

Tonights target is Badman's Song and Woman in Chains, the former has less structure so will be a pig live
in terms of format, but I'm going to enjoy rehearsing and playing it/them.
We seem to be in a Michael Macdonald and Tears for Fears phase... :lol: :)

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430414566' post='2761231']
Zoom Q2HD which does video and audio. Run it for audio as Video takes up so much space
on the card for my purposes. It is a real plug and play and forget device as all you need to do
is set mic level and providing you aren't too far with your mix, it will compensate and record
well. It is quite forgiving in this regard.
Simple USB down onto PC.
It is not always possible to select an optimum position for the band... so anywhere near a power
point is my criteria and it is pretty useful. It can run off batts but I haven't found that useful
as mine goes thru them too quickly.
Nice neat simple device.

[url="https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/video-recording/zoom-q2hd-handy-video-recorder"]https://www.zoom-na....-video-recorder[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks J that's how we do it.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1430398739' post='2761011']
Good news then :)
[/quote]

Well, you know when the rehearsal has a flat vibe, you begin to have concerns as to why.
I know why I felt flat...because I thought it was flat... but it well have been that that is the way the guys
work. Very quick and functional and get the job done, etc... but my thing to achieve for the evening
was band chemistry rather than notes... which is just as well, as there a few choice ones...
But..for all that.. I can hear that the band will get things quickly and can handle good parts so
providing they can play beyond that and the band gels.. I think it'll do well.
So.. I'm a bit moaney and on the surface with the way things go for music..but I've learnt to sit back and judge
24 hrs later...for some reason, it sounds better. :lol:
In truth the tapes were a mess.. but I can hear beyond that and it was a tough ask to get those tracks off
in 2 and half hours with about 4 days notice..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430419199' post='2761308']
Thought that was going to Wynonna ( Judd ) :lol:
Which is another project I'm looking at....
[/quote]

I've no idea who that is...and I suspect I don't want to be bunging it into a search engine either !

• 5 months later...

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1445018456' post='2888268']
Great fun I should think :)
[/quote]
I'll tell you on Monday - or I would, except I will have been at work all day after trying to get some kip in the van on the return journey!
[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1445019125' post='2888279']
Learnt ghostbusters theme song today ready for our gigs over Halloween.
Different!!
[/quote]
I'm playing it (from dots) with a big band on Halloween, along with [i]Witchcraft[/i], [i]I Wanna Be Evil[/i], [i]That Old Black Magic[/i]...