Why become a member? ×

Regrets? I've had a few.....

Probably been done to death already, but prompted by the fact that a couple of my old bands have gone on to bigger and better things since I left, and I am sat at home playing to myself, I was wondering what bass, or music related regrets you may have. It could be gear you've bought, sold, trashed etc or auditions where you've passed but turned the band down only to see them rise to megastardom, anything really. The more pathetic/amusing the better!

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1370079535' post='2096244']...music related regrets you may have. It could be gear you've bought, sold, trashed etc ...[/quote]

Yes, I'm afraid so. My Hiwatt PA. Bought (or rather, part exchanged...) from the music shop in Addlestone; a DR203 with 2 tops (2 x 12 + horn...) and 2 bottoms (2 x 15, rear ported...). It stood me good stead in England, for bands such as Porpoise, the Martin Spicer Band, and Alan Stirling; when I left for France I lent it to The Alligators. A couple of years later I returned to England and took it back to France. Again, sturdy work until one evening, loading in for a wedding gig, I took the head in my arms and the chassis slid out from the case onto the ground. 4 x KT88 all popped; glass everywhere. I'd not put back the chassis bolts. Duh..! We did the gig using the organ combo as a PA...
It gets worse (Could it..? Of course..!). I decided that the cabs were too bulky for our needs, so traded them for a pair of 'Power' columns and a PA head (can't remember the maker...). The Hiwatt head was put to one side, to be looked at another day (no money...). That day never came,as the kids, playing, as kids will, had found a hammer and an old amp. They were about 4-5 years old. It's amazing how small the pieces can be when 2 toddlers attack diligently a Hiwatt amp with a hammer. Even the trannies (yes, Partridges..!) were reduced to almost dust..! When I discovered the remains, much later, I had a hard time believing it possible. End of Hiwatt PA.
That was 25 years ago. I've since bought another DR203,which is now our principal Bass head. I tried to track down the 4 cabs, without success. Goodness knows how much they'd be worth nowadays; they were very rare at the time, and real hen's teeth, now. Bulky, did I say..? Yes, as big as a fridge, each, but what a sound..!
Regrets..? Yes, a few... :blush:

Getting rid of my old checkerboard binding, toaster/horseshoe pickup Rickenbacker 4001.
It was a piece of sh*t but it would be worth a lot of money today.

Selling my Chapman Stick - I'll never be able to afford another one.

Wish I'd had the balls to quit my job & go pro with my old band in the late 80's.

95% of my life is made up of regrets - these are just a few of the musical related ones. :)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1370093786' post='2096376']
I should have followed my heart and done Music A level rather than do subjects that I thought would allow me a career.
[/quote]

This.

Over 20 years later I still regret listening to the 'advice' of my parents instead.

But like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter. Much.

I had 3 places offered to me by 3 different places to study a degree in music including The City of Leeds College of Music and I chose to pass them up and go travelling instead. I often wonder what they may have led to and how things would be different now, not just in terms of career but also playing ability.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1370093786' post='2096376']
I should have followed my heart and done Music A level rather than do subjects that I thought would allow me a career.
[/quote]

+1, and I should have taken my bass teachers advice and joined a band much sooner than I did.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1370101199' post='2096463']
[i]I should have followed my heart and done Music A level rather than do subjects that I thought would allow me a career.[/i]

This.

Over 20 years later I still regret listening to the 'advice' of my parents instead.
[/quote]

If you had been really passionate about it, you wouldn't have listened to your parent's . . . .

Upon finishing music school in London in the mid-nineties, I passed on a fair few offers of musical work to move back to the sh*t hole in North Wales I'd spent most of my life trying to escspe from to live with the girl of my dreams and live happily ever after.
Ended up working in a factory that almost messed up my hands for life for 2 years while dream girl turned into a nightmare. Lived in a cottage together in the middle of nowhere and pretty much reenacted The Shining except she was Johnny.
Made it back to London eventually but was so out of practice and all my contacts had moved on that the work opportunities never came my way again really.
Ah but for love...

What a cock.

Edit: BUT, I am now happily married to a lovely lady who is very understanding to my musician-ness, I have two amazing sons and life is very good.
On reflection, if I had lived a single day of my life differently I may not have what I have now.
So no, no regrets actually! :)

Edited by miles'tone

I would have said starting in the job I'm in, 17 years ago, but then I wouldn't have suggested my brother try for a position, he wouldn't have met his wife, who was a friend of one of our workmates and my three-this-year nephew wouldn't be asleep in the next room right now.

Gearwise - I've sold a lot of very good instruments for things that were more important at the time, or to help my folks out. The worst of it, is that buying replacements is a no-go since they're now too expensive (particularly the analogue synths I owned!). Oh well - plenty of other stuff to try out.

I'm going to try to curtail regrets to a 12 hour period and as such, the 'no naked flames' situation I'm in at the moment is making me rue the microwave kebab I had at dinner. It did taste nice though.

[quote name='Noah Deere' timestamp='1370108786' post='2096572']
+1, and I should have taken my bass teachers advice and joined a band much sooner than I did.
[/quote]

Me too, except I should have followed my bass teacher's advice and NOT joined a band :D

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1370114232' post='2096651']

If you had been really passionate about it, you wouldn't have listened to your parent's . . . .
[/quote]

Seriously?

I was 14, 15...how passionate are you about anything at that age?