Why become a member? ×

Carter Beauford vs John Bonham

leroydiamond

Our friends on talkbass seem to think that the little upstart Beauford Carter leaves the supreme Bonzo in the shade. Shame I say. Time for the basschatters to make their views known. Here's the link [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f30/carter-beauford-vs-john-bonham-982455/"]http://www.talkbass....-bonham-982455/[/url]

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1368998901' post='2083892']...Time for the basschatters to make their views known...[/quote]

One more of many reasons to prefer BC to TC; BC leaves TC in the shade. Any other dumb stuff, whilst we're here..? Beau Brummel v Scarlet Pimpernel..? Boadicea v Maggie Thatcher..? Dinky v Corgi..?
No offence, but some questions just beg a certain response. Sorry, Leroy.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1369002653' post='2083940']
Who's Carter Beauford? :-)
[/quote]

He's a technically brilliant drummer whose artistic achievements pale into insignificance compared to those of John Bonham .

Edited by Dingus

I personally prefer Beauford's style of playing but, sorry USA, he is only one of many fantastic drummers playing today.

Bonham, on the other hand, was unique and an unstoppable force of nature on a drum kit.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1369001258' post='2083920']
One more of many reasons to prefer BC to TC; BC leaves TC in the shade. Any other dumb stuff, whilst we're here..? Beau Brummel v Scarlet Pimpernel..? Boadicea v Maggie Thatcher..? Dinky v Corgi..?
No offence, but some questions just beg a certain response. Sorry, Leroy.
[/quote]

This is why I miss the like button.

Having trawled the TB thread to save anyone else the trouble of so doing, I may confidently report the following:

* Many respondents seem to espouse the neutral 'pointless question / apples and oranges / so what?' thing.

* Others rate Mr Beauford as a drummer with superior all-round technique while acknowledging Mr Bonham's legendary thunderousness.

Zero controversy, lamentable lack of 'Go USA', etc.

Pretty much as one might expect were such an anodyne thread to originate here on BC, except that the TB-ers are familiar with Mr Beauford and his work with The Dave Matthews Band ([i]who he?[/i]), whereas most BC-ers are not.

'Zepheads' may sleep soundly tonight. No-one in their right mind would give a f**k.

[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1369007713' post='2083971']
Having trawled the TB thread to save anyone else the trouble of so doing, I may confidently report the following:

* Many respondents seem to espouse the neutral 'pointless question / apples and oranges / so what?' thing.

* Others rate Mr Beauford as a drummer with superior all-round technique while acknowledging Mr Bonham's legendary thunderousness.

Zero controversy, lamentable lack of 'Go USA', etc.

Pretty much as one might expect were such an anodyne thread to originate here on BC, except that the TB-ers are familiar with Mr Beauford and his work with The Dave Matthews Band ([i]who he?[/i]), whereas most BC-ers are not.

'Zepheads' may sleep soundly tonight. No-one in their right mind would give a f**k.

[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1369001258' post='2083920']
One more of many reasons to prefer BC to TC; BC leaves TC in the shade.
[/quote]

I hear this a lot.

I think people have some sort of selective blindness towards some of the threads posted on BC.

We have our fair share of nonsense.

Taking it as a given that I don't believe in " who is the best " competitions when it comes to music and musicians , a far more pertinent question would be who is better , John Bonham or Bernard Purdie ? Then you would be giving me a bit of a headache trying to answer that . Bonhams style was more derivative of Bernard Purdie than any other drummer , and Purdie is arguably the most accomplished drummer of the modern era and the only man whose influence has permeated popular music to a comparable degree as John Bonham , so I would have to go for Bernard Purdie . But no other drummer except Purdie can come close to Bonham for sheer musicality . There are a plethora of brilliant and gifted drummers with superb technique nowadays , but who can you say plays drum parts that stick in your mind like John Bonham ( or Bernard Purdie ) ? Those licks are just as integral to those Zeppelin songs as Jimmy Pages guitar parts or Robert Plant's vocals . There is no Led Zeppelin without John Bonham - everything that band did hinged on his drum parts - and at the risk of stating the obvious , Led Zeppelin were Led Zeppelin . Carter Beauford , by comparison , has saddled himself with the misfortune of being in the Dave Mathews band .

Edited by Dingus

To go even further, one might argue that Bonzo was good to the end whereas the others rather fell off as the years progressed.

Plant's voice went, Page dipped himself in skag and bad ju-ju while Jones was seduced by the lure of nasty synthesizers. Last couple of albums were so-so, IMO, but you wouldn't fault the drumming.
[color=#FFF0F5].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1369069305' post='2084514']
To go even further, one might argue that Bonzo was good to the end whereas the others rather fell off as the years progressed.

Plant's voice went, Page dipped himself in skag and bad ju-ju while Jones was seduced by the lure of nasty synthesizers. Last couple of albums were so-so, IMO, but you wouldn't fault the drumming.
[color=#FFF0F5].[/color]
[/quote]

Yes , I agree . I love Presence , but In Through The Out Door was patchy , at best .