Why become a member? ×

Carter Beauford vs John Bonham

leroydiamond

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1369069305' post='2084514']
To go even further, one might argue that Bonzo was good to the end whereas the others rather fell off as the years progressed.

Plant's voice went, Page dipped himself in skag and bad ju-ju while Jones was seduced by the lure of nasty synthesizers. Last couple of albums were so-so, IMO, but you wouldn't fault the drumming.
[color=#FFF0F5].[/color]
[/quote]
Overall they were really consistent. 'In Through the Out Door' reflects a band struggling to maintain their high standards. At least they had the decency to call it a day after Bonham's passing. Simply irreplaceable

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1369067964' post='2084488']
Yes, it is fair to say that DMB absolutely suck.
[/quote]
Personally I'd rather listen to The Dave Matthews Band than Led Zeppelin any day of the week.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1369064044' post='2084436']...a far more pertinent question would be who is better...[/quote]

...and, with respect, this is the slippery slope. Depending on what one may have heard, or come across, and depending on one's generation, the variables here are, imho, slightly more than infinite. For my own ears, Spencer Dryden was the revelation. My studies of Joe Morello put him up at the top of the tree. Christian Vander is, still, a living legend, and inspired a whole era. Terry Bozio..? Art Blakey..? One has to mention Buddy Rich; not my personal fave, but there are many that will defend his title.
All without going down the Keith Moon, Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker, Billy Cobham path. No, I maintain that Dinky v Corgi (or 'Spot On' for the snobs...) is just a s relevant a question. No offence intended, but dumb is dumb ([i]Imho, of course[/i]...); which do you prefer, chalk or cheese, and why..?

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1369094781' post='2084877']
...and, with respect, this is the slippery slope. Depending on what one may have heard, or come across, and depending on one's generation, the variables here are, imho, slightly more than infinite. For my own ears, Spencer Dryden was the revelation. My studies of Joe Morello put him up at the top of the tree. Christian Vander is, still, a living legend, and inspired a whole era. Terry Bozio..? Art Blakey..? One has to mention Buddy Rich; not my personal fave, but there are many that will defend his title.
All without going down the Keith Moon, Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker, Billy Cobham path. No, I maintain that Dinky v Corgi (or 'Spot On' for the snobs...) is just a s relevant a question. No offence intended, but dumb is dumb ([i]Imho, of course[/i]...); which do you prefer, chalk or cheese, and why..?
[/quote]

I take your point entirely and I mostly agree with you , but at the same time , aesthetic equivalence ( to give it's proper philosophical term ) is not always neccesarily misguided or prohibitively subjective . As I said at the outset , I don't subscribe to the idea of music as a competitive discipline with clear winners . I only mention Bernard Purdie in relation to John Bonham because his playing bears a very close relationship to Bonzo's , and in doing so I mean to make the point that the thread on Talkbass would have been more relevant had they been discussing the relationship between John Bonham And Bernard Purdie's drumming and the extent to which Bonham's style was derivative of Purdie . But ultimately , in the end , you either enjoy the music or you don't .

Just let me also make the point , Carter Beauford is a gifted and hugely capable player with a great deal to offer , but so far he hasn't created anything remotely near as important or as complete as what Bonham did throughout his career with Led Zeppelin .

Edited by Dingus