Why become a member? ×

How Long on Stage Before You Get Your Mojo on?

xilddx

Dare I say from the off? I've been playing for 25yrs plus so I pride myself on hitting the ground running. Worst night ever & it still would only take a couple of tracks.... probably also helped that I'm in my 5th year with the same band

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1367448915' post='2065966']
For me it's like unity between the band and the audience
[/quote]

Oh, [i]that[/i] sort of Mojo.

I thought you might have meant the 'Ready to leap tall buildings at a single bound, faster than a speeding bullet' kind of mojo in which case said Mojo would commence from the moment I walked into the venue. I get terribly excited, y'know.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1367450028' post='2065976']
Oh, [i]that[/i] sort of Mojo.

I thought you might have meant the 'Ready to leap tall buildings at a single bound, faster than a speeding bullet' kind of mojo in which case said Mojo would commence from the moment I walked into the venue. I get terribly excited, y'know.
[/quote]

OT but I am so disappointed that Mr Del Var has moved from Ultima Thule to Dorset. I suppose the weather must be a little milder there.

Second set normally for me , as I do the sound and lights aswell . We have a bad habit of rushing a sound check, though we are alawys close , but some rooms we play are difficult to set to. the last gig was in a restauarant that couldnt give us the stage untill 9.15 when we were billed from 9.00 :o . we play more melodic first half and getting it going drags my concentration everywhere , but by the second set I can let go and enjoy it .

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1367448684' post='2065964']
Dare I say from the off? I've been playing for 25yrs plus so I pride myself on hitting the ground running.
[/quote]

The same - must be working with Andy that`s done it to us Tim?

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1367509208' post='2066192']
3 to 4 pints.
[/quote]

Seconded.

I think it takes a moment or two to get a real sense of the audience, particularly if it's a lot of new faces.

For that instant kick, it's the buzz within the band. I'm sure some of us have played some sports - you know, the banter before you walk onto the pitch, the back slapping and final words; then, of course, it's the noise and the electric buzz of it all.

Could just be me, mind. And the booze :)

I don't get the top premier cru mojo at every single gig. If I do it's right from the off. The drummer takes a couple of songs to get in his groove and the singer/guitarist used to go off the boil at the end until we sorted out what the problem was. So it used to be best to catch the middle of our sets.
When you know you're all firing on all cylinders it's the best feeling ever.

From very first song and feels best when the band are acting as a single unit because we have rehearsed sufficently to ensure no mistakes. Add that to the audience feedback and encouragement and you have the single most exquisite feeling in the world - sorry 2nd best. Got carried away there for a mo.
I've been playing for 37yrs now and still this is what does it for me.

As the set progresses i find i am more relaxed and can enjoy it more but that initial first few songs is what really hits home for me.

Dave

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1367509809' post='2066210']
I don't get the top premier cru mojo at every single gig. If I do it's right from the off. The drummer takes a couple of songs to get in his groove and the singer/guitarist used to go off the boil at the end until we sorted out what the problem was. So it used to be best to catch the middle of our sets.
When you know you're all firing on all cylinders it's the best feeling ever.
[/quote]

Curious - what was the problem with singer going off the boil towards the end. ?

Dave