Why become a member? ×

The first time I heard Jaco.....

Bilbo

I was doing a Spotify nostalgia trip and put on one of the first 'Jazz' Lps I ever bought which was Al DiMeola's Land of the Midnight Sun' (I think I saw some pictures of him in a guitar magazine and thought 'I'll give that a try'). Anyway, the bulk of the LP features Anthony Jacksom but there is one extended track called 'Suite: Golden Dawn' which as Jaco on it. Now remember, I was a rock and metal fan and had never really heard much funk etc and 'bass' was Roger Glover and Geezer Butler and, maybe, a young Steve Harris. When the DiMeola piece featured that classic melodic fretless in the early part, it was a case of 'mmmmmm; niiiiice' but when he went into what I now know was a classic Jaco sixteenth note funk groove, it was like I had been hit by a train :lol:

Now we have all moved on and, like Hendrix in my day, it is difficult to see how influential the guy was but that 10 minutes on Spotify brought it all back. I wish I could still be blown away like that.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1367245038' post='2063061']...I wish I could still be blown away like that.[/quote]

Lost innocence, eh..? That's one of the downsides to becoming a musician. A younger brother found this out, many years ago; he explaind to me that he could no longer just listen to a piece without 'analysing' the guitar part. He turned to classical for listening pleasure, as he can't play the trombone or such, but still found himself 'thinking' instead of simply enjoying.
It's probably similar in a restaurant; if you know how the chef cooked it, some of the 'magic' is gone.
Would that we could return to be the child we once were... Such is life... :(

My mate lent me the Jaco solo album, hated it,at first, a lot of the vids on YT did nothing for me, but then I saw vid for the chicken from the Jerry Jemmott (sp?) vid, Schofield on guitar, Kennard on drums, Jaco funky as, went back to the solo album and I loved it.

Edited by Lynottfan

This is one of my all time favourite Jaco moments, this just grooves for days:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytItYLEBMK4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytItYLEBMK4[/url]

Jaco really lays it down on this track with Wayne Cochran & the CC Riders, would love to hear some more of his work in his time with that band.

Apologies for the thread derail....

Heavy Weather indeed. Listening to those clips, I think it's the parpy sound which I dislike the most. Technically very good and all that but leaves me cold and slightly irritated.

Edit: back to the OP, first time I heard Jaco was via Joni, on Hejira. Still like that album.

Edited by Muzz

I'd read a lot about him before hearing him. I was disappointed because I didn't like his tone or what he was playing. That was about 25 years ago, and my opinion is the same despite hearing loads more of him. Some of his work with Joni Mitchell was alright though.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1367319831' post='2064067']...Some of his work with Joni Mitchell was alright though.[/quote]

:o Simply 'alright'..? Some of the finest music this side of Schubert..? Not just because of Jaco, of course, but I'd love to hear 'better' than this, if it exists. Any recommendations..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1367322189' post='2064105']
:o Simply 'alright'..? Some of the finest music this side of Schubert..? Not just because of Jaco, of course, but I'd love to hear 'better' than this, if it exists. Any recommendations..?
[/quote]
Bach is amazing too but his music doesn't touch me.

It's nothing about 'better, or 'worse', this is music we're talking about. I adore Scott Thunes' and Tom Fowler's bass work, but hardly anyone knows who they are or would give a sh*t anyway because it's about context. The Jaco thing is a 'jazz problem'. I don't like most jazz and fusion so I find Jaco's context difficult, and I can't get on with his rancid tone, it's so harsh. I also prefer to hear the harmonic possibilities of the bass rather than the melodic, hence my love of Zappa, and Tom and Scott in particular.

I also think some people buy into that troubled genius backstory too.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1367323926' post='2064137']
The first time I hear Jaco was on Hejira.

I thought he spoilt a good Joni Mitchell record, but what do I know!
[/quote]

?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qGTeMBNuGM[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV4D1hez-Lw[/media]

Edited by dlloyd

Mine was listening to Coyote from my Dad's Hejira LP. Love that album, glad that Jaco wasn't playing on every track because it would have been overkill and love the contrast with the other guys playing. Coyote made my mind up that I wanted to play bass.