Why become a member? ×

Multi-instrumentalists - if you could only have and play ONE instrument of yours til you die...

mcgraham

I'm a multi-instrumentalist and obviously sing, so I tend to flit between instruments depending on my mood and what is inspiring me. Sometimes for accompaniment, sometimes just for fun.

Now, while I would be unlikely to restrict myself to having one instrument til the day I die, it poses an interesting question to me:

[u][b]If I could only have and play ONE of my instruments til the day I die, which would it be?[/b][/u]

Trying to take into consideration I'd want it to cover most of my needs, would it be one of my beloved basses? But then accompanying myself at gigs becomes a lot more restrictive than electric/acoustic guitar.

So would it be an electric guitar? Maybe, but then I'm always dependent on an amp too...

Would it be an acoustic guitar? Maybe, certainly (IMO) the most adaptible and flexible of the three, but arguably not as much fun as electric guitar or bass...

Piano? Ukulele?

I honestly don't know what I would do... but perhaps others out there have asked themselves a similar question, so I wanted to throw it out there for others to answer.

Anyone got a 2p to share?

Tricky one...

From the point of solo satisfaction it would be the guitar. But, I'm not really a good enough guitarist to be in most bands that I'd want to play in.

So, if I could only have one instrument, it would probably be a big modular synth, with enough modules to produce some simple accompaniment to play along to on my own, yet with a system like that I'd never be short of an interesting band to play with.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1366017843' post='2047226']
Does your voice not count as an instrument in this case?
[/quote]

Not in this case no ;) I'm thinking more along the lines of instruments you own/buy/sell/take up space at home etc.

Does being a bit crap at lots of different instruments make someone a multi-instrumentalist? Ok, good :)

In which case it's between bass and keys for me.

Keys is the sensible choice but I'll say bass... simply because it's the first instrument I always reach for when writing material.

I'd love to be fluent at guitar and am practicing (my composition entry this month is going to have lots of clunky acoustic playing on it). But gun to my head, at the present time, it'd be a bass.

If I was able to include having a band, then bass all the way.

If it's just me & no band, then keys. Preferably a moog voyager, korg kronos or nord stage, but I doubt I'd have the funds. So maybe a korg m3 (yes, I'd been considering it when I was bandless & might still if the band's a no goer).

I play guitar, I wouldn't choose it over the majority of other instruments as everyone who wants to play an instrument plays guitar & it all gets too samey.

Wish I could sing though. :(

I like this thread as it kinda helps to explain where I come from as a musician.

I started playing bass and did so for many years. We had a piano in the house, albeit a rather out of tune one but I loved the sound of it, mixing chords and melody seemed really cool. I've always had some sort of guitar about too, but for about 6 years i swapped out my bass gear and ended up playing lead guitar for a local (successful i guess) metal band.

So, to answer the OP: the epiphany I had when i realised i had to be a bass player was also that I still wanted to be all those other musicians condensed in to one also. The only instrument I would need would be my Shuker (either of em actually) - they are both designed for bass playing, but also ease if access to chords and melody. The choice of pickuos being perfect for clarity, harmonic richness and tone. The action spot of for speed but great percussive elements too. It took a long while to figure out what the balance of components should be, but i know that my bass will always be my chosen instrument!

yeah, where IS that 'wub' emoticon ha!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1366061561' post='2048003']
If it's just me & no band, then keys. Preferably a moog voyager, korg kronos or nord stage, but I doubt I'd have the funds. So maybe a korg m3 (yes, I'd been considering it when I was bandless & might still if the band's a no goer).

I play guitar, I wouldn't choose it over the majority of other instruments as everyone who wants to play an instrument plays guitar & it all gets too samey.

Wish I could sing though. :(
[/quote]
Love playing synth and I too love the idea of playing an awesome voyager synth exclusively, but I find the sound of synths far too grating on my ears (even though I love the sound) when playing them in isolation for long periods of time.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1366067964' post='2048090']
I like this thread as it kinda helps to explain where I come from as a musician.

I started playing bass and did so for many years. We had a piano in the house, albeit a rather out of tune one but I loved the sound of it, mixing chords and melody seemed really cool. I've always had some sort of guitar about too, but for about 6 years i swapped out my bass gear and ended up playing lead guitar for a local (successful i guess) metal band.

So, to answer the OP: the epiphany I had when i realised i had to be a bass player was also that I still wanted to be all those other musicians condensed in to one also. The only instrument I would need would be my Shuker (either of em actually) - they are both designed for bass playing, but also ease if access to chords and melody. The choice of pickuos being perfect for clarity, harmonic richness and tone. The action spot of for speed but great percussive elements too. It took a long while to figure out what the balance of components should be, but i know that my bass will always be my chosen instrument!

yeah, where IS that 'wub' emoticon ha!
[/quote]

And I love your response - really helpful and gives an insight into your life and what drives you as a musician!

People, please keep posting, this is really cool stuff!

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1366085840' post='2048150']
Love playing synth and I too love the idea of playing an awesome voyager synth exclusively, but I find the sound of synths far too grating on my ears (even though I love the sound) when playing them in isolation for long periods of time.
[/quote]

I know what you mean, I get it from playing my guitar for more than an hour & hate playing cheap sounding keys (especially most home keyboards).
If I did go down the keys route, it would need to have a really good palette with some good EPs & pads (hence my choices :) ).
Enough!!! You've got me considering it again! :modspank:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1366097493' post='2048181']
I know what you mean, I get it from playing my guitar for more than an hour & hate playing cheap sounding keys (especially most home keyboards).
If I did go down the keys route, it would need to have a really good palette with some good EPs & pads (hence my choices :) ).
[/quote]

Slightly OT but I never find many synth sounds that work well in isolation but it's a different story when played in a band context. I had to argue with our singer about putting a lead line on a track and it ended up being his favourite part of it. For that reason, I don't think I'd pick synths although I do enjoy noodling around with software ones.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1366097493' post='2048181']
[/quote]
Dooooo iiiiiiit... the white edition of course!

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1366106554' post='2048277']
Slightly OT but I never find many synth sounds that work well in isolation but it's a different story when played in a band context. I had to argue with our singer about putting a lead line on a track and it ended up being his favourite part of it. For that reason, I don't think I'd pick synths although I do enjoy noodling around with software ones.
[/quote]

I agree. In isolation they're often a bit grating, or the tone that sounds good in isolation is bland and disappears in a mix. Bit like bass guitar!

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1366108139' post='2048303']
Dooooo iiiiiiit... the white edition of course!
[/quote]

If this band doesn't work out, I will certainly be looking at keys. It would mean selling all my bass gear though. :(