Why become a member? ×

A fitting tribute

peteb

Six months ago Italian Tony, a bass player and sound engineer quite well known around Leeds and surrounding areas, left the building after a yearlong fight against cancer. A few of his mates held a couple of benefit gigs and chipped in to raise money for this gravestone.

Hopefully a fitting tribute to a great bass player, colourful character and all round good guy…

Hi Peteb

Heard so much about Italian Tony and met him once but never saw him play however from the comments on facebook from all the local bands etc he was much loved and respected as a bassist and sound engineer. The headstone is a fabulous tribute to a guy who obviously influenced many people.

What band are you in Pete ? I used to be in Empress until last year

Tony

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1364854156' post='2031915']
Hi Peteb

Heard so much about Italian Tony and met him once but never saw him play however from the comments on facebook from all the local bands etc he was much loved and respected as a bassist and sound engineer. The headstone is a fabulous tribute to a guy who obviously influenced many people.

What band are you in Pete ? I used to be in Empress until last year

Tony
[/quote]
I'm in a blues band called Rhythm Zoo at the moment, but it's not locally based (thru the new guitarist Phil Dean comes from Harrogate) and we play up and down the country.

I've been in loads of local bands but of the recent ones I suppose that I'm best known for are Spank The Monkey and playing in Paddy Maguire's band a couple of years ago...

Tony was quite a character - born in Italy but came over here in his twenties, great slap player but usually played in hard rock bands. I knew him from when he was in my mate's band PLC (now Motus).

Makes you think of your own mortality when a mate who is not much older than you gets ill and passes away!

Edited by peteb