Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino...once again...how sh*t hot is he?

merello

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1364127573' post='2022108']
I absolutely love the sound JE got around the time of Quadrophenia, but the tone he had from the Buzzard and Ashdown rig was a nasty assault on my lug holes in later years.
[/quote]
I'd agree with the view that Entwistle's tone went downhill over the years.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1364121359' post='2022007']
Well, you're correct it was The Who with Entwistle and I too saw them with him several times in early 70s. However, when I saw them with Palladino a few years back I was much happier with the bass. YMMV.

I realise 99% of people will disagree with me.
[/quote]
Loved the Who back then and would be a real bonus to see Moon and Entwistle if were still around, but I'm very much looking forward to hearing and seeing a better/tighter rhythm section covering those songs. Probably an age thing.

Here's another "Who Did You Think I Was", the bass-cam extra from a DVD, I believe.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgFFNXahcg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgFFNXahcg[/url]

Edited by toneknob

Pino is a great player - It seems like he can drop into most situations and fit nicely.
After donkeys years of playing the same tired old songs, i should think Townsend and Daltrey would
welcome someone with a different style and approach.

I thought Entwistle's best sound and playing [also Moon's] was on the 'Who's Next' album.

Garry

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1364095480' post='2021900']
This version is possibly even better?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-YDNXggCYQ[/media]
[/quote]

I've got the double album that's on and Pino's playing is BRILLIANT!!

I'm fully appreciating Pino in these clips (and, of course, John Mayer!) but Steve Jordan stands out for me so thanks for posting them, really enjoyed his drumming.

Just think what watching this little lot would be like in your local!

Edited by 4 Strings

I'm a huge fan of Palladino and I consider him as one of the best bass-players I know (saw him with PSP and that was one of the best concerts I've ever seen).
However I still prefer him on fretless...on the fretted bass he has a style, on a fretless he has an identity.
I know it's Pino when I hear him play the fretless, I don't always have that when he plays fretted...but I guess the bills have to be paid.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1364205324' post='2023024']
Here's another "Who Did You Think I Was", the bass-cam extra from a DVD, I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgFFNXahcg
[/quote]
Every time I hear it, I'm thrilled by the fill at 1.03:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgFFNXahcg

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

I love Palladino and his sound! That´s how a bass supposed to sound - fat and round.

What a groove and sense of timing!.

As to JE, the whole Who scene was never that big around this parts (we all love Zeppelin way more)

I now it maybe cheesy, but one day I´ll study "Everytime You Go away" not per note - it´s just an incredible song basswise!

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1364115469' post='2021947']
OK I'll bite... for some controversy.

I think he's bland. I initially enjoyed his chorus fretless in the '80s (which was a pretty strong 'Jaco for masses' cloning) but it became over-worked. And I recall some Tube performances where he was sitting in - perhaps with Jools and was terrible.

So what am I missing here with Pino - who does seem like a nice humble bloke when interviewed?

(Admitting a personal bias for bass lines that jump-out in some way - tone, notes, form... don't do meek bass.)
[/quote]

Remember he is a session player and is doing a job for a paycheck at the end of the day. So, on many gigs, he'll err on the side of conservative playing because there just isn't the time to think up some weird, mind blowing bassline (the client probably wants just root notes anyway). I read Mike Scott's, from the Waterboys, autobiography recently and Pino and Jim Keltner played on his album 'Still Burning'. Mike describes how he had 10 days to record the whole album. So he had 2 or three hours to show the session guys the chords of a song in the morning and 6 or 7 hrs to actually record the song in the afternoon. If you listen to the album it's not bad but the bass (which has been mixed very muddy and low in the mix) and drums sound like they've been played by a couple of guys who play in a decent cover band on a Saturday night. Not two of the most accomplished session guys in the western world.

With The John Mayer Trio, and the stuff he does with Simon Phillips, Pino has the chance to spread his wings a bit more..

Pino is my favourite bass player by a long shot, he's incredible. He kind of echoes most closely the kind of bass player I'd really love to be if I could do it. He's probably the most in demand bass player in the world right now as well, which I'm sure has its perks.

As for Entwhistle, he was totally unique and I've learnt to appreciate his playing over time, he really was an extraordinary musician with his own pace on the bass that no one really ever matched in rock music. He and Pino are almost at total opposite ends of the spectrum playing wise, I don't think Pino fits the role of Entwhistle well but if we're being totally honest then basically no one would have filled the role capably, so why not ask Pino to fill in in his own capacity? He's going to do a better job at bass playing than anyone else out there, and who wants to hear a copycat Entwhistle anyway, his tone was dire in later life.

I think he's a truly remarkable player - I just loved his work with Paul Young at the time.

I have to say though, that he is not really the man for the job with The Who.
I love that band to bits and simply can't bear to watch them with Pino on bass.
It's not his fault, but his style is not what The Who requires.
As said above, he was drafted in when John passed away and who in their right mind would turn down that gig?

John was pretty close to deaf later on in his life, lip reading and watching Pete's hands, to keep up on stage.
That explains why he went for that mechanically processed distorted sound, which was a bit grim.
To get an overdriven sound, he had to process it, as Daltrey was going ape about stage volumes (as was PT).
To his failing ears (and I really don't mean that as an insult) it probably sounded decent, but on it's own, it was a horrible tone.

Anyone who doesn't get Entwistle's unique playing style doesn't get what The Who were originally about.
That's not meant as an insult to anyone either. Even with Zak doing 100% the business, it's not like The Who without John.

They have the perfect right to change the band, but it saddens me.
Who should they get in? God knows!

Edited by 12stringbassist

Pimo changed my whole outlook on what a bass player could be when I saw him in a support band on New year's eve 1981 in Edinburgh. I had been playing for a couple of years and thought to myself, "I want to play like THAT". More than 30 years and I still use him as my reference point.

Y'know I have a pitiful admission... I've a bit guilty of assuming Pino generally/often played the way/had the sound I associate with him in the Paul Young period (great for the times though that was)...

Checked out some more recent clips via this thread, and jeez... what a monster cool player he can be. Gobsmacking.

The drummer in my band played with Pino in several outfits in the 80s. Now he's got me... poor bastard. No wonder he's so grumpy and has turned to drink [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends#"]:lol:[/url]

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1364257778' post='2024097']
I think he's a truly remarkable player - I just loved his work with Paul Young at the time.

As said above, he was drafted in when John passed away and who in their right mind would turn down that gig?

John was pretty close to deaf later on in his life, lip reading and watching Pete's hands, to keep up on stage.
That explains why he went for that mechanically processed distorted sound, which was a bit grim.
To get an overdriven sound, he had to process it, as Daltrey was going ape about stage volumes (as was PT).
To his failing ears (and I really don't mean that as an insult) it probably sounded decent, but on it's own, it was a horrible tone.

Anyone who doesn't get Entwistle's unique playing style doesn't get what The Who were originally about.
That's not meant as an insult to anyone either. Even with Zak doing 100% the business, it's not like The Who without John.

[/quote]

Maybe some consider it a bad idea but I always thought Billy Sheehan would have been a good alternative... not the tapping Sheehan but the rock solid bass player he has proven to be in some occasions.

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1364257778' post='2024097']

[/quote]

My sentiments entirely , except for my money the Who should have packed it in a [i]long t[/i]ime ago , regardless of the sad demise of John Entwistle . Pino has never been a good fit for that band , but the band itself isn't a good fit to call itself The Who , so that is hardly surprising . They used to be at the vanguard of social revolution and they have become a cabaret act . That makes me sad . They haven't written a good song since Eminence Front , and we would all have been better off if they really had packed it in for good in 1982 . They only got back together because they neede the money , as they admitted themselves , and it shows .

Edited by Dingus

That is no crime in itself and the Who aren't alone in that, for sure.

I thought they were a couple fo great songs in there but the band was a bit meh.. together it worked,
Same with Floyd but they had the good sense or fortune to augment for their best live work with a great band.

You like to see artists keep moving forward but sometimes they are done after a few albums..

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1364292724' post='2024317']
Maybe some consider it a bad idea but I always thought Billy Sheehan would have been a good alternative... not the tapping Sheehan but the rock solid bass player he has proven to be in some occasions.
[/quote]

Spot on actually, if you were looking for a bit more of a dead ringer type fit.

[quote name='grahamd' timestamp='1364086821' post='2021879']
Pino and Steve Jordan killing with Mayer (post haircut)

[media]http://youtu.be/5ahbb9rzMDg[/media]
[/quote]
Just been listening to this on the 'Where the Light Is' concert...sensational!

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1364102272' post='2021905']
If that was the Hollywood Bowl performance,check out the finale where Mayer, (as good as he is) looks on in awe at Derek Trucks solo.

(sorry for the hijack :rolleyes: )

[Edit] Here

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS0NHlWgi5w[/media]
[/quote]
No apology needed.....I think Mayer is one of those guys who appreciates others easily.