Why become a member? ×

Bass Equipment

stingrayfan

Bad form quoting oneself and the following statement may well get me ejected from BC, but you should all know my crime.[quote name='johnnylager' post='207038' date='May 27 2008, 08:23 AM']Me old Marshall stack.[/quote]
For a Pervy MkIV head. At least it had a Sunn 2x15 with it. And it all fitted in the back of me Metro better than the 4x12. Excuses, excuses... :)

I don't regret selling anything :) I do however have purchases I regret making. I've made most of, if not all of my money back on them, and ultimately learned from these purchases that turned out to not be right for me, but I've never sold or given away anything I wasn't happy to move on.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='207131' date='May 27 2008, 11:30 AM']I don't regret selling anything :) I do however have purchases I regret making.[/quote]

+1

I’m a bit of a hoarder unless cash is ultra tight or it’s something that won’t be too badly missed and is taking up space (cabs etc). Sometime’s I buy stuff on impulse and regret it shortly after, eg – I recently bought a Spider XXL pedal board flight case and it’s massive, so big it’s almost embarrassing and much bigger than I actually need. I’m really not wanting to sell it though unless I can get back 95% of what I paid for it (which realistically I don’t think will happen).

[quote name='chris_b' post='207107' date='May 27 2008, 10:52 AM']Shouldn't have:
I sold my Dynacord BS412 combo, the best sounding amp I have heard, to fund a disasterous Boogie 400+.
I sold my first Wal 5 string. What was I thinking!!

Should have:
I had the money, but not the foresight. When I brought my Precision I should have got another!
I had the chance to buy Alan Spenners Wal, also owned by Martin Kemp, but didn't as it was a 4 string![/quote]

Maybe I should have kept my old Ampeg guitar amp but I couldn't afford the new valves it needed, and I needed £100.

Maybe, on the other hand, I should have taken that Wal fretless for £200...I didn't at the time cos I thought it was ugly and I had a Precision.

My first ever bass, a horrible Encore precision copy; even though I pretty much never played after I got a better bass a couple of months later, it was still my first bass love and I wish I had it around to remind me how far I've come!
I've never moved on anything that was really useful! Then again, I've never owned anything really expensive

Awww! What a thread!!!!!!!

tales of woe!

Ahhh, well I miss my big stack. I loved it so much. I had a '99 SVT 2 Pro.. I must have picked a really good one there! it could do no wrong! I also had 2 Hartke 4.5XL cabs to go with it and they literally ran rings round and round any 8x10.. not biased at all!

I would have the lot back tomorrow if I didn't have such a crap back these days!

So my item that falls into the catagory 'I was young and stupid' would be a 69 Fender P bass. I wish I knew what I know now back then. It was an amazing bass, REALLY fat. I sold it to a guy in Bury St Edmunds i think!!

Other items include my Ampeg SVP-BSB I bought new and sold last year. WHAT A DUMMY! - I now use a sansamp in parallel with an MXR M80 to do exactly the same thing!!! (well.. actually, the pedals together have more options I guess)

and finally.. why the F did I sell my Tech cabs?? What was I on? lol!! - I LOVE the Epifani UL-610 though.. it's brilliant.. if only I could have ALL THREE!

For me it would have to be my very first proper amp and cab, a Davoli valve 100 watt head and a home made cab that was loaded with a Fane 18" speaker.

The sound was awesome!

It did have one problem with it though, it used to move around 'stage' quite a lot when I was pushing it to the max :huh: .

I sold the cab in 1976 for £20 and broke up the amp after it stopped working (probably just needed re-valving).

What an idiot I was.... :)

Mart

I sold my first real bass, a Framus Star Bass, in 1967 to fund a new soft-top for the Frogeye Sprite. As a result I stopped playing for 23-years and spent a fortune on cars. Eventually I saw the light. I wonder whatever happened to that Framus?

Edited by obbm

My Second bass, a Schecter Stiletto Elite 4. Thru-neck, active electronics, an absolute beauty and what I would consider my forst 'real' bass :)

The Shuker has the same electronics except 3 band and its a thru-neck, so I'm pretty happy but I know I'll never find a schecter again as good as that one probably.

[quote name='Merton' post='207110' date='May 27 2008, 10:56 AM']Oh, and I regret selling my Trace AH300-12 too![/quote]

I kinda regret selling it on as well mate twas a great sounding head just didnt really get on with the 12 band graphic, still sounded ace with the valve drive on full with a wee boost around 300k. . . . . . . . . .

I miss my first MIM jazz bass as well, I must've got a good un cause its one of the best jazzes I've played and was the first bass I modded (badass II and, tusq nut and a new scratchplate) on my own.

[quote name='simondee' post='208269' date='May 28 2008, 06:38 PM']never let your missus persuade you to let go of gear because [i]'there just isn't enough room'[/i][/quote]

haha you got suckered into that old one then...unlucky. Were moving into a new place soon and she thinks some of my gear is going in the garage...NO CHANCE! :)

Lets see, where to begin

Dan Armstrong perspex I had in 1981,
Ibanez Roadster (1982)in white which was simply the best bass I have ever played.
fender 76 precission fretless (1980)
1972 Fender Jazz (in 1981)

Amp wise
Ampeg flip top combo (sold in 1979 for a pitance)
Burman Pro 4000 head & Burman 4x12 (Sold at the beginning of 81)
Marshall mk 1 JTM 45 with a 3 figure serial number, I sold it for a tenner in the early 80s, I am still kicking myself

[quote name='ianrunci' post='208309' date='May 28 2008, 07:32 PM']Burman Pro 4000 head & Burman 4x12 (Sold at the beginning of 81)[/quote]

Sometimes there's just no explanation for the things that people have to do!

CrazyKiwi has 2 of these heads and I aquired mine from him, so we're both big Burman fans. I only wish I could hear what it sounded like through a Burman 4x12 .

I also have a Pro 2000 guitar combo. Marvellous.

Pete

[quote name='paul h' post='206758' date='May 26 2008, 07:40 PM']MTD Kingston.

Best playing bass I have ever played by far. I just hated the sound. Of course I should have kept it and swapped out the electronics but I needed the cash.

Paul.[/quote]
I did the same thing too!! Great playing basses the MTDs...

Most of all though, I really regret selling my Wal Pro bass in 1998. It was one of the very rare JG series with leather scratchplate that now fetch serious money..

I really needed the money at the time so I sold it to a mate, Leigh Gorman of BowWowWow, and everynow and again, I watch YouTube clips of Leigh gigging with the bass in the States just to make myself feel more miserable. :)

On the other hand, Leigh's a great bass player so I know it's being used by someone who I really like & respect, so that cheers me up a bit!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='208434' date='May 28 2008, 10:18 PM']I did the same thing too!! Great playing basses the MTDs...[/quote]

I bought a Kingston. Like you it was the nicest bass (next to my old Jazz) I'd ever played. I put an SD triple coil MM pick up in it and an Audere pre. With the low Z switch on it TOTALLY RULES EVERYTHING. I think they are the most under-rated basses ever.

I really liked my 1980 Ibanez Musician MC900, sounded great and was really versatile - but it did have a maxed truss rod and the action was terrible. Still, did a straight swap for my resident Stingray so it's not all negative

[quote name='mr pablo' post='207634' date='May 27 2008, 10:11 PM']I kinda regret selling it on as well mate twas a great sounding head just didnt really get on with the 12 band graphic, still sounded ace with the valve drive on full with a wee boost around 300k. . . . . . . . . .[/quote]
Same reasons I sold it and I liked it! :)

[quote name='ianrunci' post='208309' date='May 28 2008, 07:32 PM']Marshall mk 1 JTM 45 with a 3 figure serial number, I sold it for a tenner in the early 80s, I am still kicking myself[/quote]
My brother recently sold one (not a mk1 but a plexi) for £2.7k :)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='208680' date='May 29 2008, 10:52 AM']GK MB150e combo.

And I did it twice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bass wise........the Mex Jazz I've just done up. I still have it , I'm not selling it , but I just know I will at some point and then regret it!!![/quote]

aaahhhhh I had one of those too and wish I still had it. had the ickle bag and everything!

chorus was a bit useless, but it was awesome.