Why become a member? ×

Are all bassists in a band?

deejayen

As a confirmed bedroom guitarist who’s starting to play bass simply to add basslines to recordings, I’m wondering if there’s such a thing as a bedroom bassist.

I imagine bass is one of those instruments which only comes to life when playing with others, so just thought I’d ask who’s in a band to try and gauge how common it is for bassists to play in public rather than hide away at home.

If you are a bedroom bassist, what do you actually play – has your style evolved into a technical solo instrumentalist role, or do you play along to recordings etc?

I am still adjusting to bass after guitar, I need to do more study and be more flexible before I face an audience. I don't want to be a root note wonder!

When we move to West London, probably April time, I will start looking for a band.

Someone on Basschat recently pointed me in the direction of some online tuition. One of the first exercises had me playing crotchet root notes of C, G and F, after which it said something like, “Right, now you can do that, go out and join a band”! So, there are no excuses!

I'm getting a bit more experience of being a 'bedroom bassist' at the moment whilst my band is on a break due to our guitarist being in Cornwall. I generally just sit around playing along to songs, learning new ones, or tinkering with my basses. I was in a 'band' from the day i started bass, though i didn't join one that actually had any luck of being a decent band till a year later, and 4 years after that i'm still there.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

I had a break of about 12 years from playing in bands, but continued to write and record stuff thoughout that period. For me, I learned as much (if not more) from the experience as I did from the preceeding 15 years of playing in bands. I very rarely play my bass on its own at home these days, I usually have some kind of computer generated drum groove happening - I find I get a lot more out of it that way, plus it's great for your timing. Playing bass as a solo intrumentalist doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

I'm not in a band, mainly due to free time issues. When I get practice time, I mostly playalong on Amplitube/IRig

I have discovered "playalong" books recently though - which make learning much faster as you get a guide track that you can mix the bass out, or down

If you buy a bass it is your property and you can play it wherever you damn well like!

There are (or have been) quite a few members on here who have, for one reason or another, got pissed off with playing in a particular band (or just bands in general) and stopped doing it. Some then sold their gear because (to them) bass playing means playing in a band and nothing else will do. Fair enough, but not everyone feels that way.

I am in a band at the moment, but there has been plenty of time in the last 30 years when I haven't been - due to other commitments such as family, job, sport, etc. But during those times I have still kept and played my basses. Why would I not? I love the instrument and the way it sounds!

I am certainly no virtuoso, and haven't played in a bedroom since I moved out of my folks' house!! My practice gear is set up in a downstairs room called the "Chill Room" as that is where I chill! It also has the Hi-Fi and my daughter's piano in it, so in reality I guess "Music Room" would be a more prosaic descriptor.

I just enjoy playing bass. Sometimes I practise scales or exercises, but I get bored with that very quickly and then tend to play bass lines - either unaccompanied or along with CDs. Some of those bass lines were written by me as part of various original bands over the years, but often it will be Rush, Level 42, Iron Maiden, Marillion, Prcupine Tree, Stanley Clarke... etc.

I'm not bothering anyone! But I would feel rather offended if anyone referred to me as a "bedroom bassist". Somehow it has slightly seedy connotations... :blush:

Edited by Conan

I play at home, either coming up with basslines, going over scales/modes etc. or just playing along with songs I love. For me, pretty much all of that is a means to an end; it's practicing to be the best I can be [i]within a band context[/i]. I have very little interest in the bass as a solo instrument.

Great (and varying) responses – thanks! It sounds like jamming and playing with others (or along to recordings) is pretty popular. I suppose the bass is an instrument which really complements other instruments.

I’ve just stopped at a music shop and looked at the ‘musicians wanted’ notes in their window. There weren’t many, but of the half dozen or so, 3 or 4 were for bassists, so it seems it might be relatively easy to find people to play with. One band said they had everything they needed – even a recording studio, a van, and a P-bass, but no bassist! It’s not something I’m looking to do at the minute, but it’d be good fun to give it a go sometime.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1363368821' post='2011990']
Great fun, however, I would say whilst it accelerated my learning to start, I would say that it's now slowed me down a little.
[/quote]

So you've outgrown them already? Alas, 'twas always thus. :(

First got a bass aged 12. Never had an amp but played it relentlessly whilst watching tv with my parents who must have had the patience of saints. Within 12 months I had taught myself Never Mind the Bollocks and The Clash first album. Then I joined a band and that's when music ruined my life...

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1363369423' post='2012005']

So you've outgrown them already? Alas, 'twas always thus. :(
[/quote]

Probably, but we are about to start gigging and increasing our tracks, so I'm hoping I can add some more challenging songs into the set.

I really like the guys so don't want to leave.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1363371114' post='2012033']
Probably, but we are about to start gigging and increasing our tracks, so I'm hoping I can add some more challenging songs into the set.

I really like the guys so don't want to leave.
[/quote]

I wish I could be as nice and patient as you SC. I get to about a month of working with a band and want to rip my fingers off to avoid the pain of having to go on with the charade of being interested.