Why become a member? ×

So how was the (Bass Guitar) show?

visog

I go mainly to meet up with fellow Basschatters and the guys from the Statii forum, the display part of the show is secondary for me. The live performances are usually well worth a look though and make the rest of the show worthwhile.

Considering the country has been in recession for years and most other music shows seem to have gone belly up I thought it was a pretty good effort. Good mix of new and vintage instruments, plenty of amps and effects. Noise was a problem if you wanted try anything seriously but I saw a few things I wouldn't have known about otherwise so now I'll track them down and test them properly in a shop somewhere.

The slapping does ruin these shows and most if not all the stands encourage it by hiring the services of people to do it continually if no one is near their stall. I would still go to see the master classes as bluejay says but the last bassday I went to we had a quick scan around the gear then went to the cafe between all the acts.

On the other hand most of the gear on show probably sells to the 40-65 year old mark king fans that are making the din (appologies to those here who fit that description) in a way I just feel like I'm encroaching on their show. :)

It was huge fun, and those of you who snubbed it just don't know what you missed, and I don't mean the slapping and the showing off. :sun_bespectacled:

Incidentally, kudos to Alex Lofoco, who demonstrated his double-thumbing slapping technique at the Rotosound stand [b]in a consistenly low volume[/b], so that listening and watching in awe was a pleasure as opposed to a torture. :i-m_so_happy:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362249443' post='1997604']
I wasn't there unfortunately, but according to Spoombung it sounded like this:

[url="https://soundcloud.com/spoombung/bass-show-din-2013"]https://soundcloud.c...s-show-din-2013[/url]
[/quote]
I could manage to listen for only eleven seconds during which time I heard no music.

I have had fantastic, bass filled weekend. Starting with Colin's (barneyg42) gig on Friday night and ending with a brief chat with Peter Hook and getting his autograph this afternoon.
How fan-bloody-tastic is that. Awesome weekend. I am going to have to lie down in a darkened room to recover.

OK, last post before I exit this discussion.

I spent 16 hours at the show this weekend, in two chunks of 8 uninterrupted hours.
I didn't set foot out of the venue. I didn't wear earplugs. I'm not deaf now, nor was I before yesterday. But I didn't find the noise impossible to live with, I didn't get bored, I met one of my bass idols (David Ellefson) and got his signature for Basschat, I could have attended other awesome masterclasses and gigs if I had chosen to, I gassed and drooled over fantastic equipment, I spoke to a lot of friendly people at the stands - as well as to a lot of Basschatters... and all that I had to endure was a bit of a headache last night, which could have been caused as much by my continuing cold as by the slapping noise.

Remember that bad publicity, appropriate or unfair, on this site or anywhere else, may lead to dwindling attendance and cancellation of the show in the near future. When that happens, don't come complaining that you can't see decent basses or gear in the shops anymore and you have to order blind online.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1362340170' post='1998670']
...ending with a brief chat with Peter Hook and getting his autograph this afternoon.
[/quote][size=4][quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1362340695' post='1998682'][/size]I met one of my bass idols (David Ellefson) and got his signature for Basschat...[/quote]

I have to say this is pretty bloody cool! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1362339236' post='1998654']
It was huge fun, and those of you who snubbed it just don't know what you missed, and I don't mean the slapping and the showing off. :sun_bespectacled:
[/quote]

I wasn't there, but I didn't snub it, just from what I saw on the itinerary didn't set my soul on fire enough to "have" to be there.
I did find the "Clutterbuck" antics of yesteryear that were shown on here risible, but I wouldn't let that affect my being there or not in any way whatsoever. I'm well able to "tune-out" of background noise that doesn't interest me. I went to a Music Live show a few years ago at the NEC, which was not only bass but guitar & drums at that one, with the stage area only partitioned off, I don't remember being bothered in conversation by it.

You sound extremely discouraged by the feedback Silvia; please don't be, it's human nature to pass on neagtive vibes more than positive. I'm sure the majority loved it.

I could also have gone to one of those Mojo guitar fairs today too but didn't. I find their advertising about having "experts" on hand to be a tad ambitious.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1362340695' post='1998682']
Remember that bad publicity, appropriate or unfair, on this site or anywhere else, may lead to dwindling attendance and cancellation of the show in the near future. When that happens, don't come complaining that you can't see decent basses or gear in the shops anymore and you have to order blind online.
[/quote]

+1

Am I missing something here or am I to understand that the people who attended enjoyed it and the people who didn't go... reckon it was rubbish... :blink:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1362342110' post='1998714']
+1

Am I missing something here or am I to understand that the people who attended enjoyed it and the people who didn't go... reckon it was rubbish... :blink:
[/quote]
Probably you are to understand that. However, I didn't go because (1) I've never enjoyed shows like this in the past and (2) I was enjoying 'Singing in the Rain' at the Palace Theatre instead.

Edited by EssentialTension

I think noise cancelling headphones might be worth considering by exhibitors if its still difficult to focus.

Based on the comments so far, a separate amps only section to the exhibition with individual cubicles per exhibitor may not be such a bad idea either. Or amp makers supply their own cubicles as part of the conditions of exhibiting. Any stands outside the amp area are then headphones only. At the end of the day, being able to test an amp at performance volume is not such a bad thing but I don't see why bass makers and effects suppliers need to let customers go full tilt.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1362318553' post='1998273']
Apparently Matamp had a demo model of their new 500 hybrid, but in an unmarked box. It is going to be sold through a distributor who's stand it was on, and labelled as the distributors product. Anyone see it, or know who the distributor is?
[/quote]

Yes they are Proel UK formerly the UK's sole distributors of Mark Bass amplification, well Proel last year had a fall out with Mark Bass and are no longer their distributors, Mark Bass gear is imported by another UK company.

Proel still exist very prominently in the amplification and PA field and they still represent a number of large manufacturers, and as you have rightly said their new project which is still secretly under wraps, (the only reason I know is that after my dealings with Proel UK I have remained very friendly with them as they are all from my same country, Italy so we keep in touch a lot)
Well the Matamp project will soon go into production, they are planning to produce good quality bass amplification which will be badged probably with the Matamp name or whatever else they will come up with. In the meantime Proel continues to distribute Cort basses and guitars as well as many brands that do professional PA products.

You can see a list of their brands on this link: [url="http://www.proelint.co.uk/"]http://www.proelint.co.uk/[/url]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I really really enjoyed it :) Did all 4 shows and 2 master classes. Andy Irvine is a funk monster.. really liked him ;)

My new G & L L2500 Tribute 5 String Bass. Just spent an hour setting it up 100%, truss rod adjustment, string height, intonation and gave it a polish. It sounds deathly B) The Active is too much for the Amp so I guess being able to run it as a passive mostly is good. :happy:

[attachment=129026:DSCN2502.JPG]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1362342636' post='1998726']
Yes they are Proel UK formerly the UK's sole distributors of Mark Bass amplification, well Proel last year had a fall out with Mark Bass and are no longer their distributors, Mark Bass gear is imported by another UK company.

Proel still exist very prominently in the amplification and PA field and they still represent a number of large manufacturers, and as you have rightly said their new project which is still secretly under wraps, (the only reason I know is that after my dealings with Proel UK I have remained very friendly with them as they are all from my same country, Italy so we keep in touch a lot)
Well the Matamp project will soon go into production, they are planning to produce good quality bass amplification which will be badged probably with the Matamp name or whatever else they will come up with. In the meantime Proel continues to distribute Cort basses and guitars as well as many brands that do professional PA products.

You can see a list of their brands on this link: [url="http://www.proelint.co.uk/"]http://www.proelint.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for that :)[size=4] [/size]

I went on the Saturday , it was my first time attending the show , I had planned to make the trip last year but due to gigs I couldn't make it . So couple weeks ago I booked a flight with Ryanair & put date in the diary . I left my house in Ireland at 4am to catch a flight to Stanstead , between car, plane , train & tube I arrived at the show at 10-30 . First thing I did was check master class times , had a quick wander around a few stands then took up a third row seat for Wojek Plichosky master class , this guy is an absolute animal of a bass player ! Some serious hard slapping going on and a bit of funny banter via his interpreter . After this I needed coffee so sat down in the rest area and enjoyed really good cup a coffee , while on this subject I would like to say that all the refreshments on offer were excellent & not a rip off either , none of your crapy horse burger and dodgy fries ! But we're not here to talk about food & drink .
I had a really good chat with Rob Green on the status stand regarding a bass I have on order and good look at the stunning basses he had on display . As mentioned by others the noise level did build and build until someone sounded a klaxon which was meant to calm the noise down .... It did a little & for a while !
I have to agree with a couple of other posters that Yolanda Charles display on the Elixr stand was kind of spoilt by the volume from a live drum kit , so her bass and vocals just got lost ( the drummer was top class tho !! ) but an electric kit would have been a better job .
Off to my next master lass , Andy Irvine , I didn't know anything about him really and initially just went in so I could sit don as I'd been up since 4 am and the last caffeine shot was wearing off ! Andy's master class was brilliant , really informative , good little technical tips on a couple of simple things and most importantly he emphasised that we are all different as individuals and its important to be yourself when playing bass , " your style , your tone be yourself " .... A really good master class !
Another walk of the floor after this to make sure I hadn't missed anything before heading in to the master class I was really looking forward to Guy Pratt .... Guys master class was as I expected it to be full of tasteful bits of playing , great and funny stories about tours and sessions he's done , and he's done a few , after his master class I met him on the Bass Centre stand and bought a copy of his book which he signed and I stole a picture :-) ... Funny thing is I've been a fan of his playing for sometime now and always said if I met him I'd ask him this & that .... Then I met him and forgot the lot :-D
After this I headed away from what had been a very enjoyable day and something I WILL do again , yes it's noisy and almost everyone trying an amp seems to be slapping but kinda just went over my head after a while , but its what I was expecting . After the Trains Tubes Planes and the car I arrived back at home at 1am ...... 21 hours after I'd left !! But a great day was had & if you didn't go this year , take a trip next year , we must support shows like this because if we don't they'll be gone and when there gone they'll be hard to get back !
Great Day , Great Show will definitely be back ...... Could have just said that and saved all the typing :-D
Cheers

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1362342466' post='1998719']
I think noise cancelling headphones might be worth considering by exhibitors if its still difficult to focus.

Based on the comments so far, a separate amps only section to the exhibition with individual cubicles per exhibitor may not be such a bad idea either. Or amp makers supply their own cubicles as part of the conditions of exhibiting. Any stands outside the amp area are then headphones only. At the end of the day, being able to test an amp at performance volume is not such a bad thing but I don't see why bass makers and effects suppliers need to let customers go full tilt.
[/quote]

Agree, this is something that should have been in place before last years show.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1362346942' post='1998818']
Agree, this is something that should have been in place before last years show.
[/quote]
This idea was discussed at length after every Manchester bassdayuk, Stevie (who does a great job) annouced that there would be a real shake up before the last one I attended, went along to find an identicle setup to all the previous years even the same guys slapping were spotted from previous years one even identified on here as someones teacher at the same stand (not by request) 3 years on the trot! This is these guy's 'gig' :) OK as Ian says I was not as this show but I am sure a coffee table bass slapped full belt through a Mark Bass rig sounds the same 150 miles south ;)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1362347553' post='1998833']
This idea was discussed at length after every Manchester bassdayuk, Stevie (who does a great job) annouced that there would be a real shake up before the last one I attended, went along to find an identicle setup to all the previous years even the same guys slapping were spotted from previous years one even identified on here as someones teacher at the same stand (not by request) 3 years on the trot! This is these guy's 'gig' :) OK as Ian says I was not as this show but I am sure a coffee table bass slapped full belt through a Mark Bass rig sounds the same 150 miles south ;)
[/quote]

Sounds like the Manchester Bass Day suffered from the same problem as the LBGS - have they cancelled the Manchester show (didn't see one advertised last November?).