Why become a member? ×

Best DI for live straight into P.A

Gully35

What do you guys recommend for playing straight into the desk for a covers band. Just to reduce equipment used.
I have a 2012 USA jazz bass with la bella flatwounds. We will be playing mainly; Van Morrison, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Creedence Clearwater, Mumford and Sons etc.
I liked the sound of the Sansamp VT Bass DI but it's not released until May. The MXR M-80 sounds a bit 'metal' on YouTube and I wasn't sure about the phantom power requirement for the Radial J48.
Cheers for your help!

it's a bit pricey, but the EBS microbass II is the best for this imho.

it's very neutral-sounding - i never really liked the old "pre-VT" sansmaps as they had to much of a sound of their own (the new ones may be better of course) but the EBS's eq is good, it has speaker emulation and lots of other useful stuff too - i've been using it as my recording preamp for years as well as a live DI.

i'm quite a fan, can you tell ?

:)

Edited by ahpook

The Behringer BDI21 is virtually a Sansamp-clone, and new is about £40 or less. It`s one of those rare pieces of kit that comes along that really punches above its weight.

Another very good one is the Dave Hall Amps VT1-EQ/DI. Having an actual valve in it, it has a real tube-warmth, and can do either clean, nice valvey break-up, or full gain.

I use a Radial Bassbone, it's not going to colour the sound in the way a Sansamp does, however it has a really nice clean tone to it. It sounds good on recordings too. [url="http://www.tonebone.com/tb-bassbone.htm"]http://www.tonebone....tb-bassbone.htm[/url]

Edited by thumbo

Only the distortion side of the m80 is a bit metally.
The normal side has loads of options and eq available should you need it as well as the colour switch which will scoop the mids.
The behringer mentioned above is definitely worth checking out, especially of you like the sound of ampeg.
I've used lots of di / pres over the years for this exact purpose, and always come back to the mxr.

Edited by dudewheresmybass

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1362173980' post='1996904']
it's a bit pricey, but the EBS microbass II is the best for this imho.

it's very neutral-sounding - i never really liked the old "pre-VT" sansmaps as they had to much of a sound of their own (the new ones may be better of course) but the EBS's eq is good, it has speaker emulation and lots of other useful stuff too - i've been using it as my recording preamp for years as well as a live DI.

i'm quite a fan, can you tell ?

:)
[/quote]

I've played through one and it does sound good, however I would never buy one. It's £250 and made in China - talk about artificial markup! It ought to be closer to £25.

A lot of guys use the Tech21 Sansamps.

Loads of good suggestions in here! The Zoom B3 is brilliant as well. Not only has it got a very good DI, but it's also packed full of VERY good amp sims, and effects! For £150 you certainly get your money's worth. (It's got decent Ampeg and SansAmp sims on it too if you're into that sound!)

[quote name='heminder' timestamp='1362517505' post='2000750']
I've played through one and it does sound good, however I would never buy one. It's £250 and made in China - talk about artificial markup! It ought to be closer to £25.

A lot of guys use the Tech21 Sansamps.
[/quote]

ymmv, of course...