Why become a member? ×

No More New Music - Would it Matter?

xilddx

If the music gods stopped music production dead in its tracks, so there was NO MORE MUSIC being produced at all, would it matter to you?

Would the immense music catalogue that currently exists be enough for you to browse, discover and enjoy for the rest of your natural life? Or is new music very important to you? Why? Etc.

I think you could spend your entire life listening to music 24/7 and still not be able to hear everything ever produced up to this point in time.
I think a lot of it would be sh*t though. :)
I'd rather hear stuff that is being created now as well as old stuff really.

Are they really stopping music then? ;)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1361810781' post='1991250']
I think you could spend your entire life listening to music 24/7 and still not be able to hear everything ever produced up to this point in time.
I think a lot of it would be sh*t though. :)
I'd rather hear stuff that is being created now as well as old stuff really.

Are they really stopping music then? ;)
[/quote]
Yeah, the coalition think we could be using our time more usefully :)

There are many many lifetimes worth of music out there, of course there is stuff you won't like, what I'm interested in is WHY you want to hear new music though.

As a consumer of recorded music, no, it wouldn't bother me as only a tiny fraction of the music I listen to is new (created in the last five years). As an occasional gig-goer, it would bother me a bit - I don't want to be restricted to covers bands or originals bands churning out their old material forever - they'd be bored and boring - plus what about improvised music / solos? As an even more occasional producer of new music, it would spoil my fun somewhat (or would it just stop me feeling guilty about not producing more new music??).

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361810451' post='1991243']
If the music gods stopped music production dead in its tracks, so there was NO MORE MUSIC being produced at all, would it matter to you?

Would the immense music catalogue that currently exists be enough for you to browse, discover and enjoy for the rest of your natural life? Or is new music very important to you? Why? Etc.
[/quote]

I don't think it'd matter to me. If I've not heard it before, then it's new music (to me) regardless of when it was born.

Being an old geezer set in my ways, It wouldn't matter a great deal to me. I haven't really heard anything new since...???
But for the those just starting out in music, I imagine it would matter a great deal... and so it should.
I believe it's against ones human rights to be made to listen to music that your parents were into.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361810451' post='1991243']
[/quote]

Hasn't it stopped already ? B) , and no it wouldnt bother me greatly. Whenever I hear a song by a recent heavy rock act I keep thinking "yeah thats not bad - almost as good as xxx" where xxx is a band from 20-30 years ago.

Edited by bassman7755

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Yes, it would bother me a [i]lot [/i]because I like to make new music, and of course thousands of others do.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]And contrary to popular belief, there [i]is [/i]good new music out there... [color=#282828]but you're not going to find it by listening to the radio or watching TV... or going to see a covers band down the local pub.[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by discreet

Ooo, interesting question.

From an audience member perspective I think there's [i]sometimes [/i]something about music created recently (or at any other period) that [i]sometimes [/i]captures the mood of a group of people in a way that music not created at that point in time.

Personally I'd miss the excitement of going to see a new band and knowing that some of the music they're playing has been written in the bus on the way there or in the rehearsal room a week or two ago.

From a writer's perspective then I'd miss being able to express myself. Songs I wrote even just 6 months or a year ago might not say everything I want to say now.

Having said that, yes there is a huge amount of material already out there that I've yet to discover and I'm excited about that as well as excited about music that has yet to be written.

I just think that there are artists who might not yet even have been born yet who may well have something worthwhile to say.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361813935' post='1991314']
contrary to popular belief, there [i]is [/i]good new music out there, but you're not going to find it by listening to the radio or watching TV... Or going to see your local coves band down the pub. [/quote]

+1

Despite recent threads where I've argued a lot over certain past band's lasting influence and how much I've enjoyed their music... ([size=1]The Beatles[/size][size=3]), [size=4]I'm still really really keen on new music and I'm really into electronic stuff like Active Child, Burial, Tensnake and Flume, seeing as it's the kind of stuff that's getting pumped out a lot that I really enjoy I couldn't say I'd be keen to see the flow of new music cut off anytime soon. [/size][/size]

As a creator of music not being able to produce anything new would essentially be the end of my raison d'être. I could just possibly survive (artistically) on continuing to play my "back catalogue" but that's only because I've got almost 40 years of songwriting to draw upon, but the idea of never being able to make something new pretty much fills me with dread.

As a listener, it would be disappointing, but there's so much music out there that has already been written just that I haven't heard it yet that I could find things to listen to and like to last me the rest of my life.

It does get harder to find more new music you enjoy as you get older, but that's only because it has to measure up to an ever expanding catalogue of music that you already know and like. Of course it can be done, but these days you do have to do most of the leg-work yourself to find it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1361814645' post='1991336']
The idea that there could be no new music would massively depress me. I do still listen to a lot of old music but I love hearing new and interesting stuff, it's a real buzz.
[/quote]
That's my view too. I find a new bands to love quite often, found a few on here.

If there was no new music what would be the point of being a musician?? Surely there those amongst us who want to do more than regurgitate what has been done before (no disrespect meant to those in covers bands) but what would be the motivation? Much as I hate most of the music that's being released currently I really wouldn't want NOTHING new.

Even so, if there no new music I reckon I'd just have to buy everything that Bubinga5 posts here(I nearly always do anyway!!!).

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1361816179' post='1991375']
[b]If there was no new music what would be the point of being a musician??[/b] Surely there those amongst us who want to do more than regurgitate what has been done before (no disrespect meant to those in covers bands) but what would be the motivation?[b] Much as I hate most of the music that's being released currently[/b] I really wouldn't want NOTHING new.

Even so, if there no new music I reckon I'd just have to buy everything that Bubinga5 posts here(I nearly always do anyway!!!).
[/quote]

1. You could be a classical or jazz musician, or in a cover or tribute band?

2. This is what I can never understand, how can you have heard 'most' new music? It's a common thing I hear on BC that 'most' new music is sh*t :)

Purely from a listening point of view (and despite my advanced years) I look forward to the possibilities that some new band or singer / songwriter is going to come up with something really good that makes me think "great, we're still using the same 12 notes and this guy / girl or band have done something that stirs me up and sounds original.

I think part of the problem is that many people (probably the 40+ group) think that all the talent has been used up. Not true. There's still a lot of great music to be written.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1361816671' post='1991390']
Purely from a listening point of view (and despite my advanced years) I look forward to the possibilities that some new band or singer / songwriter is going to come up with something really good that makes me think "great, we're still using the same 12 notes and this guy / girl or band have done something that stirs me up and sounds original.

I think part of the problem is that many people (probably the 40+ group) think that all the talent has been used up. Not true. There's still a lot of great music to be written.
[/quote]
Yes!!

Well there's LOADS I haven't listened to yet - mind a lot of that's by choice - but I'd definitely miss releases by favourite artists as well as finding new stuff with my eMusic sub. I keep thinking I ought to cancel it then something new catches my ear.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1361816671' post='1991390']
I think part of the problem is that ... we're still using the same 12 notes ... There's still a lot of great music to be written.
[/quote]

post edited and reassembled.

i've always been interested in the subject of scales, and how they relate to language and environment. there are some great books on this subject. musical scales can be influenced by something as natural as bird-song etc..

the digital age is where we start to substitute animal influence for artificial (machine) influence, a reflection of how we are putting our mark on the planet.

this is perhaps a bit deep for a monday. sorry. :)