Why become a member? ×

Message to Bilbo re Beatles thread

niceguyhomer

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1360711206' post='1975407']
+1 Homer, in the old days you could be pretty honest on here, there were a lot of gobsh*tes (me foremost amongst them no doubt), but you felt you could say what you want and rely on folks taking it on the chin in the spirit in which it was intended, even if it got a little heated on occasion. There's a few guys on here now who appear to generic forumites, who appear to sit at their screen all day waiting for a post on one forum or another to which they can take offence/personally/issue with, irrespective of subject matter. Having had a noodle around this evening I was amused to see someone getting all hormonal at WoT in a thread about the Royal Mail. Can it go any lower? At least the Beatles are worth getting excited (or not excited) about.

To his credit, Bilbo took it on the chin yesterday, but then he's old school as well.
[/quote]

I know what you mean, Chris, but honestly, it's all right, this place. And there really aren't many on here who enjoy being offended and taking their pants off for a fight. But yeh, it was a little more toothy back then, it was fun, but it still is.

I'm Glenn, the old man that posted The Beatles. I'm kind of an outsider being from the states. You guys are super to get into it, and make you points etc. The way everyone has. If nothing else comes out of The Beatles topic, Be proud they were from the UK. [font=Cambria][size=3][IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/roadrex/Faces/Smiley-PelhamBlue.png[/IMG][/size][/font]

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1360718290' post='1975503']
I'm Glenn, the old man that posted The Beatles. I'm kind of an outsider being from the states.
[/quote]

You're no outsider here, chum, wherever you live. :)

As for being 'old' - well, I'm pretty sure there's someone here on the forum who can remember VE Day.
[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1360722739' post='1975518']
I'm pretty sure there's someone here on the forum who can remember VE Day.
[/quote]

Not me. I was still hiding in a safe cabin hidden in the swamps down in Brabant. No papers either, you know. But they did tell me when I came out some decades later to try and derail another train. Yup, a hero I am.

It's interesting how acting on negative emotion in the heat of the moment can sabotage perfectly good relationships isn't it? Everyone has triggers from their past experiences and they're part of what make us human. It can take a bit of practice though to recognise when our buttons are being hit and take evasive action before we react.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1360738354' post='1975545']
It's interesting how acting on negative emotion in the heat of the moment can sabotage perfectly good relationships isn't it? Everyone has triggers from their past experiences and they're part of what make us human. It can take a bit of practice though to recognise when our buttons are being hit and take evasive action before we react.
[/quote]

This - and if I have upset anybody with my purile and sometimes off topic comments due to short circuits in my system then I apologise a thousand times and more.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1360743764' post='1975579']
Y'all should see the level of name-calling and associated butturt on one of the hifi forums I frequent!
[/quote]

I had a similar sounding experience on a photography forum once. The wars between the Leica/Canon/Nikon fanboys were something else, but that was nothing compared to the chemical vs digital wars. It was hopeless to try a sensible discussion so I gave it up.

This place has some lively discussions but people generally manage to argue their respective corners without descending into nastiness. I hesitate to use the word 'mature' on a musicians forum ( ;) ) but I can't really think of a better one.

Lively and passionate, good. Nasty and personal, bad. Sense of humour, essential.

I've been on a few other forums in the past and I would say that people on basschat are generally fairly respectful of one another. We are all, and I do mean ALL, capable of talking complete crap sometimes, we all have bad days where we may say the wrong thing that could potentially give offence to some sensitive soul, but such is the cut and thrust of human interaction. God forbid that it was otherwise. I see very little on here that would seem to be worth getting too upset about...it's all good healthy banter provided you approach it with the correct mindset. And if you are someone who is easly upset, then perhaps you should avoid internet forums all together and just have a nice cup of tea instead?

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1360746982' post='1975612']
I don't get it, a guy has the guts to say sorry and still a numpty still tries to have a pop at him.
[/quote]

And now you're doing exactly what the OP is apologising for.

Bass Tractor is very far from being a numpty, and he made some considered and, IMO, valid points.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1360747997' post='1975630']
...if you are someone who is easily upset, then perhaps you should avoid internet forums all together...
[/quote]

Or at least Off Topic and General Discussion on here... the other BC forums are [i]generally [/i]fairly safe. :)

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1360746982' post='1975612']
I don't get it, a guy has the guts to say sorry and still a numpty still tries to have a pop at him.
[/quote]

I suppose you mean me.
I wasn't trying to have a go at him. Please reread my text thoroughly.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

well thats the thing isnt it, as long as you put IMHO it makes everything ok eh. so imho that was having a pop at a guy who held up his hand and said sorry.
but it doesnt really matter, i only stick my head in here every now and then but i normally find your posts to be winding people up.

maybe thats not the case but i pop in for a bit of light entertainment and thats the impression you give.
i really dont see how your first post here could be seen any different. to me it seems like your trying to bait the op. i diddnt read the beatles thread and wont either if is just another row, but to me if a guy says sorry he gets a pat on the back not another row.

btw if you thought your post was anything but the above then why did you assume i was talking about you ? did you also assume when the op said " a small gorup of idiots" he meant you also, just wondering.

beatles "love is all you need" live and let live and all that. the op said sorry and your first responce was great,no need to bring up the rest eh

peace
D

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1360757563' post='1975858']
well thats the thing isnt it, as long as you put IMHO it makes everything ok eh. so imho that was having a pop at a guy who held up his hand and said sorry.
but it doesnt really matter, i only stick my head in here every now and then but i normally find your posts to be winding people up.

maybe thats not the case but i pop in for a bit of light entertainment and thats the impression you give.
i really dont see how your first post here could be seen any different. to me it seems like your trying to bait the op. i diddnt read the beatles thread and wont either if is just another row, but to me if a guy says sorry he gets a pat on the back not another row.

btw if you thought your post was anything but the above then why did you assume i was talking about you ? did you also assume when the op said " a small gorup of idiots" he meant you also, just wondering.

beatles "love is all you need" live and let live and all that. the op said sorry and your first responce was great,no need to bring up the rest eh

peace
D
[/quote]

OK, there's a lot here to delve into.

First, I never said anything about the IMHO thing, and I do not think like that. Furthermore, I react negatively to the notion that you would assume I did, and would start critisising me on the basis of that straw man.

It seems that you and I have different views about how to treat people who say "sorry". But I said to him what I wanted to say to him, and am not participating in a downslide with you now. We're very close, as I hope you'll agree.

But FWIW, I did [b]not[/b] try to wind him up, I [b]never[/b] try to wind people up, I [b]never[/b] bait willingly. I really hate that stuff with a vengeance.

I'm sorry you got a completely wrong idea about what I represent, and will take this with me. I will be trying to be even more clear than I already think I am. Just like in the post of mine that you responded to, I like to try to be simple, transparent, honest and direct, without any hidden agendas.

FWIW2: To be quite open about it, I was concerned about his health and/or state of mind. As mentioned, I felt I'd seen a change in his postings. But one doesn't easily say that on a forum, and to a person one doesn't know anything about. It can be very confrontational, be interpreted as a weapon, and can easily be taken the wrong way (in many ways at the same time), and thus result in a type of war that I certainly didn't want to cause.
But I thought that my words might hold up a little mirror in front of his face, and he could after that respond in any way that he'd choose. I hoped he'd realise that I had a point, and would decide to be more careful, or of course that he would disagree and tell me. For reasons unknown to me, he has not responded AFAIK.

If you can't see how my first post can be seen any differently, I don't think I can assist. I think you're wrong about that, and you're surely wrong about my intentions, but I have no idea about what I could do to change that.
It be so.

Why I assumed you meant me? Well, statistics kinda clearly showed that people by large exclusively patted him on the back, whilst my post was not like that. I remembered my post.

As to the group of idiots, yes, I did ask myself whether I had been an idiot and belonged to that group. No, I did not believe that he meant me as a member of that group.

Your phrase "just wondering" is strictly speaking not true. You have specific reasons for asking exactly that. I'm not going into that area though.

Peace? Hm. Now I am wondering.
But yes, I do wish peace upon you.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360760533' post='1975936']
It seems that you and I have different views about how to treat people who say "sorry". But I said to him what I wanted to say to him, and am not participating in a downslide with you now. We're very close, as I hope you'll agree.

But FWIW, I did [b]not[/b] try to wind him up, I [b]never[/b] try to wind people up, I [b]never[/b] bait willingly. I really hate that stuff with a vengeance.

I'm sorry you got a completely wrong idea about what I represent, and will take this with me. I will be trying to be even more clear than I already think I am. Just like in the post that you responded, I like to try to be simple, transparent, honest and direct, without any hidden agendas.

FWIW2: I was concerned about his health and state of mind. As mentioned, I felt I'd seen a change in his postings. But one doesn't easily say that on a forum, and to a person one doesn't know anything about. It can be very confrontational, be interpreted as a weapon, and can easily be taken the wrong way (in many ways at the same time), and thus result in a type of war that I certainly didn't want to cause.
But I thought that my words might hold up a little mirror in front of his face, and he could after that respond in any way that he'd choose. I hoped he'd realise that I had a point a would decide to be more careful, or of course that he would disagree an tell me. For reasons unknown to me, he has not responded AFAIK.

If you can't see how my first post can be seen any differently, I don't think I can assist. I think you're wrong about that, and you're surely wrong about my intentions, but I have no idea about what I could do to change that. It be so.

Why I assumed you meant me? Well, statistics kinda clearly showed that people by large exclusively patted him on the back, whilst my post was not like that. I remembered my post.

As to the group of idiots, yes, I did ask myself whether I had been an idiot and belonged to that group. No, I did not believe that he meant me as a member of that group.

Your phrase "just wondering" is strictly speaking not true. You have specific reasons for asking exactly that. I'm not going into that area though.

Peace? Hm. Now I am wondering.
But yes, I do wish peace upon you.

best,
bert
[/quote]
I agree, can't see what the problem is. Your post was perfectly reasonable and a point of view I agree with.

Crikey, is it something in the water?

Person A had a go at Person B.

Person A has apologised to Person B.

Person B has accepted that apology.

Person A and Person B are friends again.

Three pages in, Person A and Person B have resolved the matter in an adult manner... and we're arguing about it? :blink: