Why become a member? ×

2x12's??????

GUI101

Hi all,

I'm after a little advice and opinion.
I am downsizing from my current (2) 4x10's and am wanting a good lightweight 1-2 cab solution, have been looking at either a pair of 112's or a 2x12.

Having read soooo much about the barefaced S12T I have this as the forerunner. However before I push the button on one, is there anything else that you could recommend?

I have read the usual website bumpf on Bergantino, Vanderkley, Aguilar and I'm also quite intrigued by Techamp though I can't really tell much difference between the S, M, and L series 2x12 cabs
So any info or experiences there would be much appreciated.

I do tend to play all sorts but prefer blues and funkier styles. In terms of umpf required I am mainly playing medium size pub/club gigs but do have the loud practice to cope with an so am looking for some cabs that'll give it out as well as leave my back alone.

Anyway, thanks to all in advance.
Gui.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1360612360' post='1973451']
Gotta have a tweeter? The speakers in the BF are reasonably bright.
[/quote]
No, don't necessarily need a tweeter at the minute, but that said I might in the future, so would happily have one and turn it down/off when not needed rather than not have one and need it at some point.

Played through a Vanderkley MNT1x12 recently and was very, very impressed. Really good sound dispersal so you can hear yourself and plenty of grunt. I'm sure 2 of 'em would be stonking. try em out if your headed to Bass Direct - don't think you'll be disappointed.

Be warned (and Alex hates me for saying this.) BF took a lot longer than the quoted delivery time last year. Be prepared to wait twice as long. If you are OK with that, fine. If he disagrees, make him agree to knock money off for over-runs.
Iv'e actually only played 2 shows with my Super 212t since my new band is very "coffee shop". I haven't got to grips with it. I wish that I had started with a 112. Modern amps and speakers have come a lot further than you might think.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1360616486' post='1973564']
Bass direct pilgrimage, its not far really from the Wirral :)
[/quote]
In all honesty I may well end up doing so, there is proper naff all up this way in terms of any even remotely decent retailers.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1360617753' post='1973592']
Played through a Vanderkley MNT1x12 recently and was very, very impressed. Really good sound dispersal so you can hear yourself and plenty of grunt. I'm sure 2 of 'em would be stonking. try em out if your headed to Bass Direct - don't think you'll be disappointed.
[/quote]
For sure, first heard these at a gig a couple of months ago, and was blown away by them, although I think they were the EXT ones not the MNT.

The only 2x12 I've ever tried was the Barefaced S12T. Incredible piece of equipment! Capable of massive, yet tight and non messy sounding low end. Very present in the high mids and treble so might sound a bit harsh if you're not used to neos. It's nothing that a quick EQ change can't tame if that's not your thing... But it really gets the bass more present in the mix! It doesn't have to overpower the rest of the band either (unless you want it to ;))

[quote name='Pbassred' timestamp='1360618203' post='1973603']
Be warned (and Alex hates me for saying this.) BF took a lot longer than the quoted delivery time last year. Be prepared to wait twice as long. If you are OK with that, fine. If he disagrees, make him agree to knock money off for over-runs.
Iv'e actually only played 2 shows with my Super 212t since my new band is very "coffee shop". I haven't got to grips with it. I wish that I had started with a 112. Modern amps and speakers have come a lot further than you might think.
[/quote]
Yes I did read a few posts from people who were waiting longer than they expected, however I'm not too concerned with a wait plus it'll give me a little longer to build the bank balance back up!

Have done a little more digging around the tecamp 212's and the reviews just seem to say that the S series is just a more compact version of the M and L series. Although they did say that it is a very high quality cab.
Also it doesn't look like there are any UK dealers, that can't be right....can it?

My S12T/V took a little longer than quoted, but not a whole lot.

Mine was held up by the driver delivery rather than build issues.

I'm very pleased with mine, as are my bandmates.

I've not a/b'd.it with another 2x12, but it beats everything else I've had.

As with all things, personal taste plays such a huge part in determining what is right for you, but for me, the S12 brings the best out of my bass and amp.

Try one if you can!

Or if you're not worried about timescale, buy one and send it back if you don't like it.

Hi,

I was in the same situation as yourself. Looking for a good rig for pub/club gigs that would not be too big but loud enough for any occasion. I thought the BF combo of Midget and Compact would be great but didnt really have the money to spend on both since I was also looking for an amp.

So I decided that 2*12 would be the right thing for me. So after looking at reviews and asking opinions I compared the weight/volume/price on the Bergantino, BF and Vanderkley. I would have gone for the BF as a first choice because (if I remember correctly) at the time it was cheaper and lighter than the others but not much so but the delivery time I thought was too long. I found a Bergantino AE212 on here and just decided to go for that instead (price was also lower than a new BF and was then within the budget for a new amp as well). I love the cabinet. Does everything I need and it does not matter how much volume I throw at it it never farts out or distorts. So I could recommend Bergantino as another option.

This is all down to taste though I guess.

Edited by bassbora

[quote name='GUI101' timestamp='1360619878' post='1973649']
Have done a little more digging around the tecamp 212's and the reviews just seem to say that the S series is just a more compact version of the M and L series. Although they did say that it is a very high quality cab.
Also it doesn't look like there are any UK dealers, that can't be right....can it?
[/quote] I have the M210 - it's great.

I use a Markbass 1x12 combo with 1x12 ext cab. Plently enough volume for the type of gigs you do, as they`re the same sized venues I play. In one of my bands, as we have 2 bassists, I only use the combo, and it`s still plenty enough volume.

I always used to be a "minimum of 4x10" bassist, but since my back got worse, decided I`d down-size. I though I might compromise on sound by doing so, but glad to say I haven`t .

Evil Undead is selling a great Markbass 2x12 on here at present, btw.

I would look at:

Aguilar DB212/112 x 2
GK Neo 112-II x 2
Schroeder 1212L
Bergantino AE212
Tecamp M212
TC RS212 (you can buy two of these for the price of one 2x12 in some cases)
Genz Benz NX2 212T

For a super light 2x12, I would also check out the new Bergantino CN212 which is due here in May-ish...apparently 48lbs!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Pbassred' timestamp='1360668352' post='1974153']
That [b]is[/b] good news Gary if you recieved it recently. Things piled up Aug - Oct last year so maybe they recovered. How long ago did you recieve yours?
[/quote]

It was ready to ship just before Christmas, but as I was away I asked Alex to hold until the first day back in the new year.

Hey GUI, I'm in Oxton too...

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for, but I have a BF BigOne (now discontinued), so if you are interested in checking it out to get an idea of what the BF cabs are like, you are more than welcome to come and have a nosey sometime...
Cheers,
Neil

Hi GUI, personally, I think you need to find the right combination.

What amp and bass are you using?

I use a stingray 5 through a Mesa M6 or Orange Terror bass, into a Mesa 2x12 powerhouse, sounds great.

I bought a BF compact and Midget T, the mesa M6 sounded lovely but the Orange Terror sounded horrible.

All i'm saying is, what works for others might not be right for your set-up.

You could email Alex at Barefaced with your current set-up, he's a top bloke and will give you some advice.
The first thing he asked me was what bass and what amp.

It's good If you can try before you buy, i know this is easier said than done.

cheers

thebassman

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1360614062' post='1973514']
It seems an obvious comment but be sure to try the neo loaded cabs before you buy. They are/can be significantly lighter in weight but I 'personally' have not found one that I like the tone of over my slightly weightier traditional drivers (I'm talking x2 1x12 cabs). ;)
[/quote]

I'd go with this.... I use NEO's as 2x112 ( but my no 1 rig is Ceramic 2x210's ) and they are highly regarded but I'd trade them if I could.