Why become a member? ×

Customer Service at The Gallery

Roland Rock

I was there a few months ago to try out some Genz Benz amps.

My experience was neither here nor there really, the chap in the shop made a half decent effort to get me set up with a few different combinations of cabs and amps but I ended up sorting myself out as it was taking too long in between waiting for him to finish with customers. I prefer to be be given access to what I need and then left to my own devices so that worked for me, but I can see how others would have perceived that as a lack of customer service/enthusiasm.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1360596602' post='1973003']
This thread does seem unnecessary really.
[/quote]

Of course I don't like to make anyone upset, but I don't feel too guilty when I remember how I was made to feel in the shop. I don't think I'm being overly sensitive, and can handle being left to my own devices, but I felt that this was verging on disdain and rudeness.
Although my OP was a mild rant, I've found the subsequent thread very interesting in terms of what different people like from the staff when browsing. Also, I hope that it illustrates to owners what kind of people they need to represent their business.

I haven't had experience of Bass Direct, but hear great things, and all of my correspondence from Bass Gear has been superbly helpful. If I was in the market for a £2000 bass, I'd look there first and get the best of both worlds.

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1360605185' post='1973223']
The Gallery is the best bass shop in London. I can go there and try beautiful gear. The atmosphere has always been very friendly without being pestered.
And the bonus is that I can bring my wife and she will play with the cat (and forget how much money I spend ... hehe)
[/quote]

There's a cat??!! In a bass shop?? :D :D

I'm booking my train tickets to London straight away! :D

I have to say I've dealt with Alex and Martin enough. I will always give them a ring and see if they can help me find what I am looking for.
I don't have to be wowed with a world class personality ( not saying they don't have them ) so am not at all put off. Both have been more than helpful in the past and if they can't help me then no problem. The fact that they will always be almost the first port of call as far as I am concerned is because they are very very good, IME.
If I was working in a manic shop..and I've seen the shop/workshop manic and for good reason, I can understand the shop saying, can we help..if not I am rather busy elsewhere and will leave you to it, but if you need any help, just shout. Nothing wrong with that. It isn't like they aren't interested or bothered, you just have to talk to Martin for a few mins to know he breathes his craft.

They are a very busy shop and can't sit all day with a customer without that impacting elsewhere. To my knowledge, there are only 3 of them doing EVERYTHING..
I, for one, appluad Martin keeping his op small, but they are downsides with the time the shop has.

If it were in a shop...and I was very busy... all I would be trying to do is make sure the 'customer/browser' knew I would be about if required.
I am not sure what else you would realistically expect.

Also, I would call the shop and say I would be around and do they have such and such in stock...and could I try it.
This works well in smaller ops..where man-power is critical and they might suggest a quieter time...

I am glad the Galley is busy..that means that things are going ok..?? and they can be around for a long time.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1360605216' post='1973225']
I haven't had experience of Bass Direct, but hear great things, and all of my correspondence from Bass Gear has been superbly helpful. If I was in the market for a £2000 bass, I'd look there first and get the best of both worlds.
[/quote]
[color=#222222]I think that Mark is very much a 'people person' and would happily chat and argue (in a good natured & entertaining way) with his customers all day if he didn't have a shop to run! The same goes for Phil at Bass Gear, although not so argumentative but still very gregarious....[/color]

Having said that, I've never had a problem with the Gallery whenever I've been there and I'm sorry to see Alex go....

I don't think it's an unnecessary thread. Some light-hearted bitching about poor service in Denmark St seems to be acceptable, so why can we not talk about the Gallery in a similar way? A lot of people on here love the Bass Gallery, and a lot of us have had appalling service, me included. The staff can attempt to justify their manner with customers all they like, but when I have my choice of amp and string met with snorts of derision by them (seriously), I can't help but take it personally.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1360615526' post='1973541']
but when I have my choice of amp and string met with snorts of derision by them (seriously), I can't help but take it personally.
[/quote]

hmmm, let me guess...
You play black nylon tapewound on a North Korean custom-made valve amp.

• 2 years later...

After swearing I'd never return to the Gallery after two bad episodes with a staff member (who I believe has moved on), I took my Spector up to the Gallery on Monday for a set-up. I had to put aside all my head-issues about going in, but all I hear is that Martin is the best and my Spector has never been quite right.
All I can say is that I couldn't have had a better experience if they had tried. I was met by Charlie (I think). Just a real nice chap. Martin was in the cellar and he took the time to go over my bass and ask what I was after. The guy was completely friendly and helpful. I was told to ring at the end of the week as they were pretty busy. Rang yesterday morning, bass ready!
Once again, great service. Martin and I share a passion for bikes, Harley's and Triumphs especially, so we had a good old natter and I went home with what feels like a new bass. Absolutely spot on! Finally the Spector is right :)
I didn't say anything to Martin about my previous experience and I only mentioned I post here as I was leaving. So as an unknown in a shop populated by the bass cognoscenti I was treated in a first rate manner and given a first rate service and at a very reasonable price.

Still smiling with my new set-up. :D

Thank you Bass Gallery :hi:

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1450521633' post='2933522']
Glad to hear it. But the fort knox security still puts me off. I prefer to walk in and trundle round these shops at my leisure.
[/quote]

You buzz the buzzer and they let you in. No one comes to the door and checks you out first. I think you have to consider the area they are in. Put it this way, I don't think that Bass Direct will have a problem with Junkies running in swiping a bass and running out. I think it's either the controlled entrance or having locking hangers.

I've always found Martin to be friendly and willing to spend time with customers, whether they be seasoned pros or newbies (like I was when I first went there) and doesn't push any particular agenda down your your throat. Whenever I've been looking for something new, I've been left to my own devices and allowed to try anything I like, for as long as I like (no, "How're you getting on?" after 2 minutes), with help accessing anything buried and a bit difficult to get to. In addition, if any of the basses I'm interested in doesn't feel quite 'right' to me, the workshop will tweak it there and then (if not too busy of course). A veritable Aladdin's cave. Haven't been up there in a good while though (much to my credit card's relief).

I think they're great - I've been several times on quests for Sabres, Wals and Precisions. Very relaxed atmosphere and great stock.

I have to say the first time I visited I thought they were closed, didn't notice the buzzer and sign and went elsewhere - since then I've buzzed and it was all fine. They also gave me good advice on whether or not to reshoot the board on my fretless.

Recommended and a little less 'bustling' than Denmark Street.

Hadn't realised that Alex had moved on. Always found him easy to get on with, not a hard selling salesman, which I really appreciated. He and Martin have always been helpful and never condescending or snooty about my choice of equipment as someone on here claims to have experienced. They even appeared genuinely interested in my Hondo Rickenfaker when I took it in for a set up. Sadly the cat is now living at home with one of the guys rather than in the shop, but still the best bass store I've ever been to.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1450521633' post='2933522']
Glad to hear it. But the fort knox security still puts me off. I prefer to walk in and trundle round these shops at my leisure.
[/quote]

I commented on this on a visit a few years back and was regaled with the tale of the runaway Warwick Streamer, returned to the shop after a short trip up the road under a ner-do-well's jacket. Before the extension there would frequently be a single person available to look after the 2 floors so you can see the need for the security when just inside the door sat, very conservatively, 80 - 100k of unguarded stock...

The Bass Gallery and Bass Direct are one-off shops and the service you get is their business. If either were a big business then they would have trained staff that would know how to sell. Hard. But they're not and thank goodness for that. It's old school and to an extent makes a nice change.

However, as a more mature member of this forum with plenty of spending power, I've been ignored in both stores!

My daughter works in an art gallery and has learnt the name and tastes of their top 200 clients. The art sells between £300 and £30,000. I would say that this art gallery's approach is commendable and a better model than we are presented at music stores.

Considering the competition, i.e. the internet, I would have thought that their sales manner would need to be a lot slicker.

Regards
Davo

In defence of the Gallery, they are a small team.

If Martin spent more time on PR...he wouldn't be building basses.
I think they are very approachable, but then can easily blow a day
chatting.

I like the fact that you can browse their stuff.

Btw..if you are in St Albans, you also need to get over to Bass Gear.
As with all these places, I'd let them know I am coming over if
I expect them to attend to me or had something specific to discuss.

I bought a peavey cirrus 5 from them about 4 years ago. The service was pretty good, I tried a few different basses and traded in some too. I was even allowed to play with a bass from the workshop that had just been built for John Taylor. Made my day. It seems there is a variety of experiences of service quality which is a shame. Any small business should prioritise service quality and be able to make all different types of potential buyer comfortable. It's a skill but one that can make a big difference to the success of a business. With bass shops now so rare it's even more important to be able to entice people in with the customer experience as well as with the stock.