Why become a member? ×

Basses With Thin Fast Necks?

Ant_On_Bass

• 7 months later...

Only just spotted this thread, and fairly new to the forum,
so apologies for this post being a bit "late"

But I've owned several basses, incl Fender, Rickenbacker, Ibanez, and briefly a Yamaha
I've played many more, and have pals with Warwicks etc
but my Ibanez Soundgear SR500 has THE slimest, fastest neck of the lot
it's much slimmer than a Jazz, by a long way

The only bass which was similar was another soundgear bass
the SR520, I think...

EDIT: the slim nature of the neck is not just at the top - it's slim along the whole length of the neck too

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1379406448' post='2212175']
Only just spotted this thread, and fairly new to the forum,
so apologies for this post being a bit "late"

But I've owned several basses, incl Fender, Rickenbacker, Ibanez, and briefly a Yamaha
I've played many more, and have pals with Warwicks etc
but my Ibanez Soundgear SR500 has THE slimest, fastest neck of the lot
it's much slimmer than a Jazz, by a long way

The only bass which was similar was another soundgear bass
the SR520, I think...

EDIT: the slim nature of the neck is not just at the top - it's slim along the whole length of the neck too
[/quote]

Having owned an SR500 and still owning the Geddy, the Geddy is easily the thinnest neck I've ever played. Almost impossibly thin...

Edited by skej21

Ive narrowed my jazz necks to a little over 1 3/8 nut width and I'm mad at myself for not doing this 30 yrs ago! Every aspect of my playing experience is better now. Seriously, I was tempted to do this a long time ago but chickened out! I believe Sadowsky does a 1.45 nut if requested so I'm not totally nuts, mines at 1.43

I equate "fast" with "feels right for the player and allows them to play optimally with minimum mistakes and maximum perceived dexterity". It's got very little to do with the thickness or profile of the neck, as I for one prefer the feel of a chunkier neck. Feels right to me and therefore I play better and "faster". Don't like thin necks - I make more mistakes and don't enjoy playing them so much because they don't feel right to me. But there seems to be this deep seated association between "thin" and "fast". It's probably rooted in sound physical reasoning (thin neck == closer together strings == economy of movement) but in practice for me at least this does not carry across.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1379585345' post='2214392']
....I equate "fast" with "feels right for the player and allows them to play optimally with minimum mistakes and maximum perceived dexterity" It's got very little to do with the thickness or profile of the neck....
[/quote]

+1

Thin is about size, fast is about technique.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1379408346' post='2212199']
My old Lakland Darryl Jones had one of the slimmest neck profiles I've used. My preference is for something a bit chunkier nowadays though!
[/quote]

Would agree, it's a great neck on the DJ.

Even slimmer, perhaps, is my ESP-LTD Surveyor - nice Satin finish on the neck, which tends to remain fast despite heavy playing.

My old MTD Kingston Heir had a slim and very [i]flat[/i] neck, not much curvature. That was a superb player, and had it been a 4-string it would still have been on the rack. They're not well know to a lot of players, so it's hard to point people at a music shop to try one.